United States & Gun Control discussion.

I think this has more to do with Holder being a shitty AG than anything. He really should've been replaced after Fast and Furious, but that obviously didn't happen.

Oh man! He got 14 people to sign up! Those stupid liberal college kids! :rolleyes:

For one thing, the DOJ should damn well know what is and isn't constitutional. The cabinet head should know intimately. And is a leader responsible for the actions of his hand picked subordinate? To say no is a direct contradiction of everything I learned as an NCO.

As for the college kids signing that petition, and your flippant dismissal of that whole scenario, that even one allegedly educated student of higher learning signed this is indicative of something grossly wrong with society. They are supposed to be smart enough to recognize a setup similar to "An Indecent Proposal," yes? Again, maybe not. It's the lack of critical thinking skills that have allowed them to embrace their inner lemmings, and nothing is more dangerous than a large group of idiots. They can be easily led, and there are those strong-willed enough and of nefarious intent that will do it.

Bet if they had called for the imprisonment and execution of one of the Protected Victim Classes you'd have gone completely apeshit.

Mark Dice recorded multiple college students on a campus in CA signing a fake petition to have gun owners imprisoned, and in some cases, executed.

http://www.infowars.com/students-sign-petition-to-have-gun-owners-executed-in-concentration-camps/

Whenever I see something like this it cracks me up. Take highly edited videotape and then make a vast generalization. Further people are allowed to have a view that guns are not good. Those people heard one thing and then after they started signing he went all crazy and started adding all kinds of other BS. I agree they should be more up to date on issues, but people also believe airliners are poisoning the air with chemicals, 9/11 was a government conspiracy and that marijuana was planted in America by the Soviets to make Americans docile and less aggressive. So I guess what I am saying is people have a right to believe whatever they want, even when it is stupid.

As for the college kids signing that petition, and your flippant dismissal of that whole scenario, that even one allegedly educated student of higher learning signed this is indicative of something grossly wrong with society. They are supposed to be smart enough to recognize a setup similar to "An Indecent Proposal," yes? Again, maybe not. It's the lack of critical thinking skills that have allowed them to embrace their inner lemmings, and nothing is more dangerous than a large group of idiots. They can be easily led, and there are those strong-willed enough and of nefarious intent that will do it.

Bet if they had called for the imprisonment and execution of one of the Protected Victim Classes you'd have gone completely apeshit.

I don't know about this. Maybe those people believe the petition they signed, maybe they were tricked by a guy with a hidden camera and good editing, who knows for sure. What I think is funny is your flippant dismissal of people who don't share your viewpoints. One person doing something stupid is indicative of a problem with society? Well using that logic one bad gun owner is enough to strip guns out of citizens hands...

Your comparison is apples and oranges, TLDR. Perhaps they were tricked, but pointing out a gross lack of critical thinking, and that's what it was, is not an outright dismissal. I would have told Deathy to STFU if it were a dismissal. I raised an opposing point, nor was I flippant with my rebuttal.

Flippant: adjective 1. frivolously disrespectful, shallow, or lacking in seriousness; characterized by levity. 2. nimble, limber, or pliant. 3. glib; voluble

Where did my last post meet that qualification?

Flippant may have been the wrong word. I guess I should have used Websters before I posted, but what you did do was take one example and then vastly over generalize. You said that if even one person signed this there is something grossly wrong with society. Really? I can find someone who doesn't believe in the moon landings, that doesn't mean the fabric of our society is falling apart, it means I found one idiot. Same as this video, he doesn't show the thousands of people who walked right by, or asked intelligent questions. Nonetheless you made a generalization that I found pretty silly. Sorry that I used the wrong adjective.

For one thing, the DOJ should damn well know what is and isn't constitutional. The cabinet head should know intimately. And is a leader responsible for the actions of his hand picked subordinate? To say no is a direct contradiction of everything I learned as an NCO.
I agree! As the nation's top lawyer, he should be able to express the administration's legal opinions on pertinent matters, especially before a congressional committee. And yes, the President is responsible for keeping him on the staff. It's one of the problems I have with the administration.

My biggest problem was that the video was from Infowars, probably one of the least-credible news sites on the internet. To even call it a "news site" is a stretch. It's a fear-mongering conspiracy site, and is probably the only source I will dismiss outright without consideration. I know that's not being open-minded, but Infowars and its acolytes have demonstrated over and over and over that nearly everything they produce is absolute trash and panders to the lunatic fringe. Mind you, I am not accusing anyone here of being a conspiracy theorist because they shared a link from the site, but if anyone regularly visits that site as a news source, they really ought to have their head examined. I'm convinced that Alex Jones believes in every conspiracy theory, all at the same time.

Now, as to your argument: I can't be sure, but that campus looks like UCSD, arguably the top school in San Diego. UCSD has a student body of over 30,000. Getting 14 people to sign up who were probably rushing off to class and likely had more on their mind than what the guy with the clipboard was telling them does not really hold much argumentative weight. On every California campus there are these paid petition-holders whose only job is to get signatures for legislation. Because of the legislative-referral system in California, signing a petition does not say "Yes, I agree with this measure", it merely means "I agree that this measure should go to the polls." Sure, there were probably a few students who heard this guy's spiel and thought "Yeah, this is a great idea!" But then again, people read Infowars, so take that as you will. It's as @TLDR20 said, people are allowed to have shitty opinions. They have as much value as the homeless guy downtown chasitising the FBI for hacking his brain.

As to your last comment, I'm not going to address that.

Flippant may have been the wrong word. I guess I should have used Websters before I posted, but what you did do was take one example and then vastly over generalize. You said that if even one person signed this there is something grossly wrong with society. Really? I can find someone who doesn't believe in the moon landings, that doesn't mean the fabric of our society is falling apart, it means I found one idiot. Same as this video, he doesn't show the thousands of people who walked right by, or asked intelligent questions. Nonetheless you made a generalization that I found pretty silly. Sorry that I used the wrong adjective.

TLDR, Training Circular 2-33.4 Intelligence Analysis Appendix A has a listing of Analytic Pitfalls analysts run into. Instead of flippant you could have used:
1. Oversimplification
2. Hasty Generalization
3. False Cause
4. Misusing Analagies
5. Absence of Evidence
6. Persistence of Impressions Based Upon Discredited Evidence

All of which I think would have been very applicable.

I just cant stop giggling....
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...tes-defend-man-who-had-gun-in-school-20140207

Dwayne Ferguson spent more than a decade advocating for nonviolence and peace in the streets of Buffalo.
He was a well-known face in the movement for the SAFE Act, the state law that made carrying a gun on school property a felony. He was also a familiar presence in the hallways of the city’s Harvey Austin Elementary School, where he worked in the after-school program and mentored students.
No one imagined that on Thursday he would show up at the school in possession of a gun, touching off an hours-long lockdown, search and ultimately his arrest on two felony charges.
Ferguson, 52, told WGRZ-TV that he frequently carries the gun, for which he has a permit, and did not realize he had it on him when he went to the school as part of the mentoring program.

He was among local activists who stood with Assemblywoman Crystal Peoples-Stokes last year lobbying for a law that would make possessing a gun on school property a felony. Prior to New York State’s adoption of the SAFE Act last year, in response to the Sandy Hook school massacre in Connecticut, it was a long-established state law that guns could not be brought onto school property. The only difference was that the crime carried less punishment as a misdemeanor.
In an ironic turn of events, Ferguson was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon under that law for Thursday’s incident. The law carries a maximum sentence of up to four years in state prison.

I think that a lot of people forget why we have a constitution what it is for and how it is supposed to protect the unpopular rights from the popular thinking of a period in time. If this country as a whole really supported gun control or the removal of the right to keep and bear arms, why has the constitution not been amended? If the issue is so important, why do they use the passing of laws and the implementation of executive orders to circumvent a constitutionally protected right? IMO, it is because the majority of Americans will never support such an amendment, ever… I believe the people who do get into office, by whatever means, who have personal agendas or who are the front of their supporters (not the people but the lobbyist) agenda, know that it will never be possible to pass such an amendment. Thus they use laws, regulations and orders to bypass the constitution in order to further the agenda past what the majority actually want. They do this in ways that the American people are left with little recourse to change.

Deathy, you seem to have the idea that the current system of government works, and that people simply don’t like or follow the process. Or that the three branches of our government are not corrupted by agendas that have been laid out over centuries of careful planning and organization. The truth is that anyone who thinks that there is a conspiracy within our government, is quickly laughed away and made to be a conspiracy theorist and more or less made to be a fool. Although in many cases conspiracies probably do not exist and are there for groundless and should be met with constructive criticism. I think it also is foolish for people to blindly believe that every proposed conspiracy is crazy tin foil hattery.

You think Obama is not going to go after guns, he has been trying to since he got into office. His party wants to take guns (mainly any gun that possess a matching fire power to any civil authority) away. Why? To save the children? To save us from our selves? Why? If the American people really wanted this, why not propose a amendment to the constitution (that requires a 2/3 majority of the states) and let the cards fall where they may? Why do they want laws, regulations and executive orders, instead of letting the people decide? I believe it is really simple, they can influence the people, but they cannot control them. They can however, control all three branches of government, twist outcomes, and achieve their agendas and reduce the ability of the people to have recourse by chumming up the system. Either it be by finical influence, political pressures, or appointing the right Supreme Court justice, they can work the balances of power in their favor. When it comes to actual amendments to the constitution, they cannot, without the direct consent of the people. And IMHO, that is exactly why they attempt to go around the constitution or simply nullify it through chumming the legal waters and insuring influences in all steps of the process.

I do not agree with your opinions about Obama, I think you are giving the man far too much credit, and why I am not sure. However, I will state that I do value your opinions, regardless how much I may agree or disagree with whichever the current one may be. I would encourage you to unplug from the media influences of this issue, and do some historical research on gun control, and who and how many people, to include many supreme court justices have destroyed your seconded amendment right and put us in the political discourse and separations of government powers from the powers of the people. It really is not as simple as electing the right people, or taking XYZ’s justices opinion and or ruling. There are deeply rooted problems surrounding the issue of the second amendment, that cannot be simply taken a face value.

I should preface this entire post by saying I AM ANTI-GUN CONTROL. Also, almost every reference I make here is to federal law, not state law. Make sure to take that into consideration.

I think that a lot of people forget why we have a constitution what it is for and how it is supposed to protect the unpopular rights from the popular thinking of a period in time. If this country as a whole really supported gun control or the removal of the right to keep and bear arms, why has the constitution not been amended?
The second amendment is just that - a constitutional amendment.

If the issue is so important, why do they use the passing of laws and the implementation of executive orders to circumvent a constitutionally protected right? IMO, it is because the majority of Americans will never support such an amendment, ever… I believe the people who do get into office, by whatever means, who have personal agendas or who are the front of their supporters (not the people but the lobbyist) agenda, know that it will never be possible to pass such an amendment. Thus they use laws, regulations and orders to bypass the constitution in order to further the agenda past what the majority actually want. They do this in ways that the American people are left with little recourse to change.
How are laws "bypassing" the constitution? You're going to need to be more specific. The constitution and its amendments are deliberately vague, and issues pertaining to them need to be codified by laws and court rulings. Lawmakers in 1938, for example, realized that it would be harmful to the public good if firearm sales were completely unregulated, and if felons were allowed to possess firearms. Thus, they passed the Federal Firearms Act, which (among other things) created FFLs. Is that infringing on your right to keep and bear arms? No. It IS a measure of control over who can sell them, but it in no way violates the letter or spirit of the second amendment. These laws are passed because the constitution and its amendments don't always give us hard and fast rules over how to govern. I mean, look at how many first amendment restrictions there are! I would argue that many of them, like prohibition against libel and slander, are in the public interest. Are there some laws that try to restrict other facets of gun ownership? Sure there are. The passage of the LEO Safety act of 1986 made the sale of armor-piercing ammunition illegal. Is that infringing on the right to keep and bear arms? No. Does it prevent you from having certain ammunition? Yes. Ammunition, however, is not a constitutionally protected right. These are things you need to consider when you say that laws are "circumventing a constitutionally protected right."
Before you bring the up the AWB of 1994, I'm totally with you. That law was bogus and unconstitutional as FUCK.

Deathy, you seem to have the idea that the current system of government works, and that people simply don’t like or follow the process. Or that the three branches of our government are not corrupted by agendas that have been laid out over centuries of careful planning and organization. The truth is that anyone who thinks that there is a conspiracy within our government, is quickly laughed away and made to be a conspiracy theorist and more or less made to be a fool. Although in many cases conspiracies probably do not exist and are there for groundless and should be met with constructive criticism. I think it also is foolish for people to blindly believe that every proposed conspiracy is crazy tin foil hattery.
If you look at it holistically, the government DOES work. It does not work with great efficiency, nor does it work the way you or I want it to some of the time, but laws still get passed, court cases are ruled on, and things happen. I can understand how it would be hard to have a positive impression of government when all we hear about is how the sky is falling, but if you're like me and you follow politics pretty closely, you'll see that's there's more happening than the headlines would have you believe. And of course politicians have agendas! They wouldn't be representing their constituencies if they didn't have a plan when they came into office. I would be highly suspicious of any politician who claimed he or she didn't have an agenda upon getting into office. But plotting and politicking is not just about idealism. It's about being able to give and take, and to be able to use political capital when you have it. The democrats have not had the political capital to pass any gun control measures for years now. I posted this back in November, but it bears repeating:
I think the biggest gain [after Sandy Hook], overall, has been the public's general weariness of gun control issues. Sure, after Sandy Hook it was all the rage to ban guns and whatnot. But we've had a series of high-profile shootings in the past few months, and there have been very few (if any) national calls for action. It seems as if the public just doesn't want to hear about gun control any more, and wants to focus on something more pressing (like mental health issues).
Do you know how many federal gun laws have passed under the Obama administration? Two. One allowed people to carry in national parks, and another allows them to carry on Amtrak trains. A cursory glance at govtrack.us shows that the docket is quite full of proposed gun control measures, including Feinstein's backalley abortion of an AWB that thankfully will never see the light of day. So yes, I acknowledge that the President and Democrats want gun control. Do I think they can get it? No. Not only no, but fuck no. If they couldn't get it done after Sandy Hook, they sure as hell aren't going to get it done before 2015 rolls around and the 113th congress dumps the docket.

Also, what do you mean "corrupted by agendas that have been laid out over centuries of careful planning and organization"? That's....I don't even know what that is.

You think Obama is not going to go after guns, he has been trying to since he got into office.
Like I said before, I think that he WANTS to, but I don't think he is GOING to. I think that he realizes that federal gun control is a fool's errand, and is more likely to lose his party congressional seats than gain anything worthwhile.

His party wants to take guns (mainly any gun that possess a matching fire power to any civil authority) away. Why? To save the children? To save us from our selves? Why? If the American people really wanted this, why not propose a amendment to the constitution (that requires a 2/3 majority of the states) and let the cards fall where they may? Why do they want laws, regulations and executive orders, instead of letting the people decide?
You're saying a bunch of different things here so let me address them one by one. The Democrats want to regulate guns, yes. Why? I don't know. They're scary (to them). What do you mean by "mainly any gun that possess a matching fire power to any civil authority"? Are you implying that democrats want to take away guns so that citizens can't fight back? If that's your argument, I find that highly specious and would like to see how you arrived at that conclusion.
As to your amendment question: 1) Nobody except a bunch of fringe liberals (who are conveniently in the minority right now) wants a sweeping gun ban, 2) The federal government doesn't work on a referendum system so "letting the people decide" is not a simple option, we "let the people decide" by holding free and fair elections for state and federal representatives.

I do not agree with your opinions about Obama, I think you are giving the man far too much credit, and why I am not sure. However, I will state that I do value your opinions, regardless how much I may agree or disagree with whichever the current one may be. I would encourage you to unplug from the media influences of this issue, and do some historical research on gun control, and who and how many people, to include many supreme court justices have destroyed your seconded amendment right and put us in the political discourse and separations of government powers from the powers of the people. It really is not as simple as electing the right people, or taking XYZ’s justices opinion and or ruling. There are deeply rooted problems surrounding the issue of the second amendment, that cannot be simply taken a face value.
I give Obama credit because he understands that Sandy Hook was his last chance to get any sort of gun control legislation passed. He understands that the topic is deeply unpopular, and though I'm sure that a lot of you guys like to think he's a blind ideologue (which is true in some cases), he's still a politician and he knows when he faces a losing proposition. That's the crux of it all: he knows that gun control is a zero-sum game for him and the party. Any paltry legislative victory he might get will ultimately hurt the party, so I believe he will not risk it.
As far as the supreme court goes, the bench rulings from the last ten years or so have been great for gun owners. In DC vs Heller and McDonald vs Chicago, the Supreme Court finally incorporated that second amendment, and asserted that it was an individual right instead of state right. I think it's been a great decade for pro-gun Supreme Court rulings.

I think the rest of us should take care not to conflate the word "unconstitutional" with "immoral". They are two separate words and have two different meanings. As such, something can be immoral while also not being unconstitutional. Murder, for instance, is never mentioned in the constitution. While it is immoral, it is not unconstitutional.
Unless a thing is specifically mentioned in the constitution, its amendments, or constitutional case law, it is likely not unconstitutional. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
Good post dude…
I should preface this entire post by saying I AM ANTI-GUN CONTROL. Also, almost every reference I make here is to federal law, not state law. Make sure to take that into consideration.

You state that you are anti-gun-control, but yet you have also stated in past posts that you are okay with what “you consider reasonable measures” like the executive orders that Obama signed applying more restriction on the ability to purchase a gun (which is gun control, regardless how you would like to dumb it down). And this is really where I normally have major differences with people regarding gun control. I read the constitution and take it at its face value, I don’t attempt to twist it, and I don’t try to discover the meanings of the time. I take it for the plain English it was written in. IMO, Gun control of any kind, is unconstitutional. As long as the second amendment reads the way it does, any measure to restrict gun ownership is in fact going against the wording of the 2A.

The second amendment is just that - a constitutional amendment.

Yes it is the second amendment in the bill of rights that guarantees Americans rights (not privileges, check the definition out between the two) that are supposed to restrict the federal government in it capacity to remove or restrict such rights of the people (i.e. the citizens of the United States of America).
How are laws "bypassing" the constitution? You're going to need to be more specific.

The constitution and its amendments are deliberately vague, and issues pertaining to them need to be codified by laws and court rulings. Lawmakers in 1938, for example, realized that it would be harmful to the public good if firearm sales were completely unregulated, and if felons were allowed to possess firearms. Thus, they passed the Federal Firearms Act, which (among other things) created FFLs. Is that infringing on your right to keep and bear arms? No. It IS a measure of control over who can sell them, but it in no way violates the letter or spirit of the second amendment. These laws are passed because the constitution and its amendments don't always give us hard and fast rules over how to govern. I mean, look at how many first amendment restrictions there are! I would argue that many of them, like prohibition against libel and slander, are in the public interest. Are there some laws that try to restrict other facets of gun ownership? Sure there are. The passage of the LEO Safety act of 1986 made the sale of armor-piercing ammunition illegal. Is that infringing on the right to keep and bear arms? No. Does it prevent you from having certain ammunition? Yes. Ammunition, however, is not a constitutionally protected right. These are things you need to consider when you say that laws are "circumventing a constitutionally protected right."
Before you bring the up the AWB of 1994, I'm totally with you. That law was bogus and unconstitutional as FUCK.

The Bill of Rights or 1-10 amendments are defined as rights of the people and a measure to restrict the government’s power over the people. So how is it that the very amendments that are supposed to restrict the government’s power and guarantee rights to the people can be restricted by law or other means? No where in the constitution is the federal government in any three branches, given powers to make such laws. That is simply a fact, regardless of the stupidity that has transpired over the past 150 years, the reality is that the federal government does not have the powers to make such restrictions. It’s not because the constitution is vague as you imply, it is because the restrictions upon the federal government is simple (i.e. see these here ten amendments that we made the bill of rights, it restricts your powers federal government, you can’t fuck with these rights of the people). As for the constitution giving hard and fast rules, it is not supposed to, it is supposed to provide a limited federal government, limited as in limited in power over the people…

Getting into your opinion that the gun control laws of the past do not infringe the right to keep and bear arms. I could not disagree with you more here, gun control in our history has never been about restricting the ownership, just restricting the level of fire-power. These ideas go back to the civil war and the reconstruction era. The federal government by way of the civil war, learned that allowing the people to have the same level of fire-power as the federal government puts the federal government at risk. Since the reconstruction period, gun control has been a hot topic. Where most of your first laws restricting ownership and fire-power started were actually in the southern states that were under reconstruction. And this is where a lot of people who look at the history fail to make important links, and normally simply apply the “racist southerners democrats didn’t want slaves having guns” reasoning. The truth is that the federal government, during the passing of state level laws, had puppet governments placed in the southern states. These were not the local former slave owners, these were normally military officers, and selected politicians, who were sent to reshape the south, and restrict and govern these states into what the federal government wanted. I recommend you read about it, it’s pretty eye opening.

Why did the Federal government go this route? Because they could not amend the constitution on a national level to change the 2A. They did not have the support of 2/3rds of the states, yes even the northern states. So they went around it.

If you look at it holistically, the government DOES work. It does not work with great efficiency, nor does it work the way you or I want it to some of the time, but laws still get passed, court cases are ruled on, and things happen. I can understand how it would be hard to have a positive impression of government when all we hear about is how the sky is falling, but if you're like me and you follow politics pretty closely, you'll see that's there's more happening than the headlines would have you believe. And of course politicians have agendas! They wouldn't be representing their constituencies if they didn't have a plan when they came into office. I would be highly suspicious of any politician who claimed he or she didn't have an agenda upon getting into office. But plotting and politicking is not just about idealism. It's about being able to give and take, and to be able to use political capital when you have it. The democrats have not had the political capital to pass any gun control measures for years now. I posted this back in November, but it bears repeating:

Do you know how many federal gun laws have passed under the Obama administration? Two. One allowed people to carry in national parks, and another allows them to carry on Amtrak trains. A cursory glance at govtrack.us shows that the docket is quite full of proposed gun control measures, including Feinstein's backalley abortion of an AWB that thankfully will never see the light of day. So yes, I acknowledge that the President and Democrats want gun control. Do I think they can get it? No. Not only no, but fuck no. If they couldn't get it done after Sandy Hook, they sure as hell aren't going to get it done before 2015 rolls around and the 113th congress dumps the docket.

I guess we will have to wait and see where our different predictions take us. I am confident that the Obama administration will push a gun control bill (that will make Clinton’s look silly) directly after the 2014 elections. I also believe it with probably have the best chance in passing.

Also, what do you mean "corrupted by agendas that have been laid out over centuries of careful planning and organization"? That's....I don't even know what that is.

This post is getting long enough as it is. If you really, truly believe that this government and the people elected to run it, are doing it for their constituents and not the big corporation lobbyist, and political party agendas, than there is nothing I can really type out here to explain it to you. I again recommend you do some research on the many issues, but primarily the gun control issue.

Like I said before, I think that he WANTS to, but I don't think he is GOING to. I think that he realizes that federal gun control is a fool's errand, and is more likely to lose his party congressional seats than gain anything worthwhile.

We will see.

You're saying a bunch of different things here so let me address them one by one. The Democrats want to regulate guns, yes. Why? I don't know. They're scary (to them). What do you mean by "mainly any gun that possess a matching fire power to any civil authority"? Are you implying that democrats want to take away guns so that citizens can't fight back? If that's your argument, I find that highly specious and would like to see how you arrived at that conclusion.

Because the gun control laws on the books are all in place to restrict your ability to fight the government. They use the reduction in crime as a means, but the reality is it has little to no effect on the criminal elements, but 100% effect on the normally law abiding people. Thus if they can make you a criminal before you can obtain the fire-power to fight the government, they can control the people at all levels.

Look I understand you may think that is just crazy shit, but the reality is that is in fact what has happened and again, these ideologies come from as far back as the civil war, and more currently the beginning of the 20th century where communism, and socialism started to take roots around the world, to include the USA.

As to your amendment question: 1) Nobody except a bunch of fringe liberals (who are conveniently in the minority right now) wants a sweeping gun ban, 2) The federal government doesn't work on a referendum system so "letting the people decide" is not a simple option, we "let the people decide" by holding free and fair elections for state and federal representatives.

I give Obama credit because he understands that Sandy Hook was his last chance to get any sort of gun control legislation passed. He understands that the topic is deeply unpopular, and though I'm sure that a lot of you guys like to think he's a blind ideologue (which is true in some cases), he's still a politician and he knows when he faces a losing proposition. That's the crux of it all: he knows that gun control is a zero-sum game for him and the party. Any paltry legislative victory he might get will ultimately hurt the party, so I believe he will not risk it.
As far as the supreme court goes, the bench rulings from the last ten years or so have been great for gun owners. In DC vs Heller and McDonald vs Chicago, the Supreme Court finally incorporated that second amendment, and asserted that it was an individual right instead of state right. I think it's been a great decade for pro-gun Supreme Court rulings.

I think the rest of us should take care not to conflate the word "unconstitutional" with "immoral". They are two separate words and have two different meanings. As such, something can be immoral while also not being unconstitutional. Murder, for instance, is never mentioned in the constitution. While it is immoral, it is not unconstitutional.
Unless a thing is specifically mentioned in the constitution, its amendments, or constitutional case law, it is likely not unconstitutional. Just something to consider.

Okay I am getting bored here, I get it, you think everything is awesome in our government, it’s just a few crazy liberals who want my gun, the supreme court is in our corner, Obama is not so bad, etc.

Obama has very little to do with it, he is just the current face of it, I am not going to spend hours educating you on the reasons, history and providing you with data. If you are interested in the facts, I recommend you research gun control in the USA, between 1865 to 1880’ish. Than research Gun Control on a global scale between 1880’ish to 1975’ish. Than if you would really like to really educate your self on the issue, research currency and banking, and where and how it ties into countries who passed gun control during those specific time periods. You might also be interested in looking into the global genocides of the 20th century, where gun control was enacted and which banking firms were involved within those countries in regards to currency, etc.

I know, I am just a crazy guy, completely unplugged from reality, fear mongering and turning everything I see into a conspiracy….}:-)

I read the constitution and take it at its face value, I don’t attempt to twist it, and I don’t try to discover the meanings of the time. I take it for the plain English it was written in. IMO, Gun control of any kind, is unconstitutional. As long as the second amendment reads the way it does, any measure to restrict gun ownership is in fact going against the wording of the 2A.

With regards to the portion of your post above, @x SF med brought up a point that was hugely significant to me at least.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That would seem to allow for restrictions without infringement.
What is your take on that?

Constitutionals scholars have argued the "well-regulated" topic.

Two Supreme Court rulings; District of Columbia v. Heller, 2008 and McDonald v Chicago, 2010 state the 2nd Amendment guarantees individuals & collectives alike the right to bear arms but there are instances (e.g., regulating the sale of "assault weapons") in which local, state, and federal governments do have the right to regulate the sale and use of arms.

With regards to the portion of your post above, @x SF med brought up a point that was hugely significant to me at least.

That would seem to allow for restrictions without infringement.
What is your take on that?

I view as it is, its a statement of why the right shall not be infringed. The militia is the people and the regulation of said militia belongs to the state. However again the "right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is very clear, as it clearly tells the federal government that they cannot infringe upon the peoples right to keep and bear arms.

I also responded to X SF Meds statement, the same way he attempted to use the preamble (which is nothing more than and intro) to state the federal government can use it to regulate the bill of rights. Again its more or less attempting to twist wording and means to support ones views.

Deathy stated murder was not covered under the constitution, and he is correct, this is b/c the states are intended to govern themselves, again you have to remember the state came before the federal union.

Last edited:
I also responded to X SF Meds statement, the same way he attempted to use the preamble (which is nothing more than and intro) to state the federal government can use it to regulate the bill of rights. Again its more or less attempting to twist wording and means to support ones views.

JAB, the Preamble is the Thesis Statement for the entire Constitution - it clearly states the reasons and the precepts for the remainder of the document - who wrote it "We the People of the United States" why it was written "In order to form a more perfect Union," what it hopes to use to accomplish the goal "establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty" who it will benefit " to ourselves and our Posterity," and finally the name "do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Article I section 1. then states: "All legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States which shall consist of a Senate and a House of Representatives." These are the guys who make the laws and amend the laws to make sure the goals and practices and wants of the people should be carried through. Our problem in all of this is the Constitution was written with the "Citizen Legislator" in mind, not professional politicians who are out for their own good (essentially prohibited by the Constitution) rather than the wants of their constituency.

You may argue 'strict Constitutionalism' on your part, but you actually mean static constitutionalism, but, my friend, the world ahs evolved, technologies have developed, and populations have grown immensely- and have been concentrated in areas where they cannot produce their own sustenance. Yes, the ideas are valid, the spirit is valid, but the document was written in a prior world - it has to evolve, or it does become stale - evolve to meet the changing world, but not evolve to change the ideology of the founders - which is clearly stated in the Preamble.

I can disagree with decisions made by the various administrations from inception of the Constitution to today... and Yes, I still believe in the 2nd Amendment, but regulation is necessary in today's world - due to the technologies, population densities and sheer laziness of today's citizens.

The articles of the Constitution have been changed by amendment, but never has the Preamble been changed... not even the skeeviest of political mole rats has even attempted it - because it is the tone, the heart, and the soul of the Constitution - it carries the basic ideals on which this country was founded.

Your self styled homegrown Constitutionalism is akin to some of the most corrupt Puritanical Christians, Fundamental Muslims, Fascists, Nazis or Bolshevik Communists because there is no tempering of the letter of the writing with the spirit of the writing. Has the ideology of the Constitution been corrupted by self serving but well meaning political hacks? Hell yes, but has there also been truly inspired adaptation by amendment of the Constitution...

You want people to hear and follow you - get into politics, or start your own religion or political party - but make sure you know what you want and why you want it before you start - nothing is more dangerous than a well meaning man without the full information needed for the mission.

I view as it is, its a statement of why the right shall not be infringed. The militia is the people and the regulation of said militia belongs to the state. However again the "right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is very clear, as it clearly tells the federal government that they cannot infringe upon the peoples right to keep and bear arms.

Deathy stated murder was not covered under the constitution, and he is correct, this is b/c the states are intended to govern themselves, again you have to remember the state came before the federal union.

Thanks.

So you're cool with the State imposing the regulation but not the Feds?

To my shame I'm not super knowledgeable on the Constitution and the details of it's formation. My knowledge is mainly big picture, not detailed.

Back