Usasoc Static Line (sl) Parachute Fatality Nov 10

We get a lot of safetygrams that say 'A USASOC Soldier', when it is a 7th, 3rd, 5th Group, etc guy. It's a little bit more tactful than saying X Group is fucked up and here's why, i guess. Didn't know if this was one of those times.

"Although he was known as an experienced jumper and Jumpmaster he had a reputation of doing things "his own way." The unit conducted BAR the morning of the jump, but the fatally injured Soldier did not attend. During mock door training the fatally injured Soldier was corrected by an NCO on his parachutist exit control procedures. The Soldier replied that he had his own method of controlling jumpers' exits. No other effort was made to correct the Soldier's actions."
So why was nothing else done by the NCO? Rank/seniority? 30+ years experience?

We get a lot of safetygrams that say 'A USASOC Soldier', when it is a 7th, 3rd, 5th Group, etc guy. It's a little bit more tactful than saying X Group is fucked up and here's why, i guess. Didn't know if this was one of those times.

I suppose you are correct. Let me ask my J3 Air NCOIC to see what he says about it.

"Although he was known as an experienced jumper and Jumpmaster he had a reputation of doing things "his own way." The unit conducted BAR the morning of the jump, but the fatally injured Soldier did not attend. During mock door training the fatally injured Soldier was corrected by an NCO on his parachutist exit control procedures. The Soldier replied that he had his own method of controlling jumpers' exits. No other effort was made to correct the Soldier's actions."
So why was nothing else done by the NCO? Rank/seniority? 30+ years experience?

One day on St Mere I JMPI'd a SGM that had his kit bag reversed. He was a Master Parachutist. As we corrected his malfunction, he basically stated "Aw, who cares?" I CARE. The process and procedures are in place to prevent needless fatalities.

It was a 2/19th SF Soldier supporting another Airborne unit. Ap.org has a few guys there who belong to the unit being supported who gave some insight.

Back