Vehicle maintenance

RustyShackleford

Ranger
Verified SOF
This is a spin off from another thread.

I am no mechanic, but over the last two decades or so I have done 99.9% of the regular maintenance (oil, other fluids, shocks, brakes, etc.) on the car/truck at the house. With the help of a neighbor who worked at Ford for 18 years, rebuilt the engine on the old 1999 F150, that was just traded in with 176k miles on it. Over the years and with the assistance of YouTube, online Ford forums, and a Haynes manual, I figured out tie rods, fuel pumps, and some other odds and ends that would have costs hundreds of dollars or more at the dealership or other shops.

Who else here works on their POVs and what resources do you use? As mentioned above, You Tube and F150online are two awesome resources that have helped me in certain situations.

The hardest thing I have done mechanically is to replace an automatic transmission in my Jeep Wrangler. I purchased a used rebuilt one, put it in my Jeep where I then rebuilt it and sold it for more than I purchased the one in my Jeep for. I relied heavily on a Jeep Forum and YouTube. I think YouTube is a fabulous resource to use for many repair projects.

I do all my own wrenching for repair/replacement, to include body work. Grew up doing it as my first vehicle was a Jeep wrangler that I jacked up and tricked out, to the many many old trucks I've pieced together, etc. If its mechanical or structural, I prefer to do my own repair's. However, I quit doing oil change's as my buddy runs a jiffy lube and I trust him, and it's honestly a pain in the ass, nasty mess and having to make multiple trips to buy and dispose has made that 29.99 worth it to me and besides I get to BS with my buddy this way.

Excellent thread. As a matter of necessity I have had to do my own maintenance as well. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and have had to do pretty much all of my own repairs. I have had to completely change out the AC compressor, collector, evaporator, and heater core (which required me to remove the dash). Replace shocks, axles, tie rods, steering dampeners, brakes, fuel pump (in the tank full of fuel), filter, various sensors, and some other things I cannot remember. My number one investment in making my own repairs though has to be a copy of the Haynes manual. It is work the 15 or 20 bucks to have all the exact specifications you would ever need. I also use YouTube very heavily, and I use Google and various Jeep forums to research common problems. I have been fortunate that there is a big Jeep community that keeps others informed on their vehicle problems. In the end, I have probably saved at least 10K in labor costs since I started doing my own repair work.

As I understand it, if you can get past all the weirdness of Craigslist, there are sometimes good deals on various tools depending on where you live. What irritates me the most is having to purchase a tool I will only use once or twice. Case in point, I had to purchase a fuel pressure gauge to see where and why my motor was idling rough (TB is clean and clear with no computer errors). I used it, and now I have a $40 tool sitting in the garage till the end of time that I might never use again. Glad I have an extra tool, but when money is tight, ya gotta hate waste. My dream garage however, has a car lift so I can work under it without having to jack up the jeep and squeeze underneath.

Excellent thread. As a matter of necessity I have had to do my own maintenance as well. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and have had to do pretty much all of my own repairs. I have had to completely change out the AC compressor, collector, evaporator, and heater core (which required me to remove the dash). Replace shocks, axles, tie rods, steering dampeners, brakes, fuel pump (in the tank full of fuel), filter, various sensors, and some other things I cannot remember. My number one investment in making my own repairs though has to be a copy of the Haynes manual. It is work the 15 or 20 bucks to have all the exact specifications you would ever need. I also use YouTube very heavily, and I use Google and various Jeep forums to research common problems. I have been fortunate that there is a big Jeep community that keeps others informed on their vehicle problems. In the end, I have probably saved at least 10K in labor costs since I started doing my own repair work.

As I understand it, if you can get past all the weirdness of Craigslist, there are sometimes good deals on various tools depending on where you live. What irritates me the most is having to purchase a tool I will only use once or twice. Case in point, I had to purchase a fuel pressure gauge to see where and why my motor was idling rough (TB is clean and clear with no computer errors). I used it, and now I have a $40 tool sitting in the garage till the end of time that I might never use again. Glad I have an extra tool, but when money is tight, ya gotta hate waste. My dream garage however, has a car lift so I can work under it without having to jack up the jeep and squeeze underneath.
How dare you swap your ac without a recovery unit. lol I've done enough heater cores for family and friends, that I quit messing with dashboards and started cutting firewalls. Pneumatic metal sheer's and a small 90amp mig welder has made that job pretty darn easy. Put the fire mat back, and you never know the difference. ;-)

Excellent thread

I only check my levels such as fluids and tires. I am learning more by asking and watching though. Everything else I go through two local sbops.

As for purchasing rarely used or specialty tools, Harbor Freight is awesome for fuel pressure gauges and other items. Plus their return policy is awesome. I broke a wheel puller on a rotor that was stuck only to find a resolution using two bolts and four nuts on You Tube to break the rotor free. Harbor Freight refunded me on the wheel puller. As for vehicle or manufacturer specific tools, Advance Auto and the like are pretty good with loaning tools.

I do fuel filter and oil changes on our diesels but the Jeep is still under warranty so I take it to a local place to have a paper trail. I can do the basic stuff on my own (swap tires, change bulb) but RP does the heavier stuff since our vehicles fight back. Trying to tighten the alternator belt on the blazer gave me a black eye and multiple cuts. I used the auto shop of Ft Richardson plenty when we lived there, the one on base is by appointment only.

. What irritates me the most is having to purchase a tool I will only use once or twice.

My cousin is a mechanic, has owned his own shop for well over 30 years. Probably closer to 40. His shop is less than half a mile from the gate of an air force base, and a lot of the pilots will bring their cars to him...Audi seems to be "in" these days. The nearest dealership for anything more than Ford or Chevy is 40 miles. He said that a lot of the "upper end" vehicles with proprietary parts have proprietary tools he will have to get. A $500 tool he will use a couple times; of course, he has to pass the cost on to the customer, but then he'll have a tool he rarely uses.

I have done nothing more complicated than brakes. With so much now electronic I am afraid of really screwing something up.

I don't really use books unless I'm trouble shooting wiring. I will use Google and YouTube to track down codes, and I did the turbo on my superduty completely off of YouTube tutorial's. But generally I snap a few pictures with my phone as I disassemble mark my bolts and part's with paint pens and pull and replace. It's actually pretty simple that way, occasionally I'll run into a tool issue, but I inherited two full on mechanic boxes, and when I need a tool, and I don't have it or a buddy doesn't, I'll hit up the tool truck or eBay. I try and stay away from the Chinese tools, because they always break, and running back and forth ends up costing as much as just buy a SNAP ON or MAC. Besides if you open an account with them they will allow you to pay out over time basically like a credit card, and its 100% no questions ever asked warranty.

I've invested in a code reader just because everything 1990 and newer really requires one for any trouble shooting, but you can always hit up the auto store and get it done for free (if you can get the car there).

But yeah, good code reader, google, YouTube, process of elimination, color code your bolts to your part's, take pictures as you disassemble and good quality tool's that don't break when you're in the middle of the job. Well that and a little common sense, will save you thousands in the long run.

$.02

I don't really use books unless I'm trouble shooting wiring. I will use Google and YouTube to track down codes, and I did the turbo on my superduty completely off of YouTube tutorial's. But generally I snap a few pictures with my phone as I disassemble mark my bolts and part's with paint pens and pull and replace. It's actually pretty simple that way, occasionally I'll run into a tool issue, but I inherited two full on mechanic boxes, and when I need a tool, and I don't have it or a buddy doesn't, I'll hit up the tool truck or eBay. I try and stay away from the Chinese tools, because they always break, and running back and forth ends up costing as much as just buy a SNAP ON or MAC. Besides if you open an account with them they will allow you to pay out over time basically like a credit card, and its 100% no questions ever asked warranty.

I've invested in a code reader just because everything 1990 and newer really requires one for any trouble shooting, but you can always hit up the auto store and get it done for free (if you can get the car there).

But yeah, good code reader, google, YouTube, process of elimination, color code your bolts to your part's, take pictures as you disassemble and good quality tool's that don't break when you're in the middle of the job. Well that and a little common sense, will save you thousands in the long run.

$.02

I picked up a cheap code reader several years ago and it paid for itself the first time the check engine light lit up. An hour or so later the plug and COP on cylinder four was changed and all was good. The Haynes manual is handy, but you hit the nail on the head with websites. Everyone wants their fame by making videos of themselves fixing things.

Before moving to the 'burbs, the luxury of hitting up a neighbor or two for an oddball tool or for a little help was great. The suburbanite neighbors apparently think I am a master mechanic as they'll stop by when I'm doing simple stuff on the truck or replacing a drive belt on the walk behind mower. :rolleyes:

When I worked on my car, I would use a combination of youtube and owners' forums, the forums were great to troubleshoot issues.
I stopped doing the work when I started losing dexterity.

When I worked on my car, I would use a combination of youtube and owners' forums, the forums were great to troubleshoot issues.
I stopped doing the work when I started losing dexterity.

It gets harder when your get older, a lot harder. I just run out of steam pretty fast. It's not the routine things that get me, there always is some little nit noit POS thing that you didn't expect that becomes will flat drive me wild. There have been times, under the MG, that I wished the thing would just fall off the jack stands to end the lunacy;-):mad:.

How dare you swap your ac without a recovery unit. lol I've done enough heater cores for family and friends, that I quit messing with dashboards and started cutting firewalls. Pneumatic metal sheer's and a small 90amp mig welder has made that job pretty darn easy. Put the fire mat back, and you never know the difference. ;-)
LoL I never stated that I didn't use a recovery unit. However, fortunate for me I had a hose that was slowly leaking r134 into the air. Thereby negating the need for the recovery unit when I had to work on it. After I figured out how to take the dash off, it worked out pretty well. I was able to really clean the insides out, and add some weather stripping to remove any leaks between the unit.

I just got a handy dandy Bluetooth code reader that connect to my phone and gives me a shit tone of information. Pretty much anything you would expect from a diagnostic machine at a mechanic, can be gathered by the reader and displayed in an app. What is even better is that you can use various apps instead of being locked into just one. I also take pictures, but not to the degree you do. I need to get a hold of some paint pens to make a job easier. For now I use a fishing tackle box to separate and store the bolts and things until they go back in. I also use my son's sidewalk chalk for short jobs where I am replacing something but don't want to move the bolts anywhere. Just put them in a pile near a wheel and circle them with an abbreviation and blam. Usually isn't a prob. YouTube, forums, and the Haynes manuals are my top three DIY suggestions for damn near any job.

It gets harder when your get older, a lot harder. I just run out of steam pretty fast. It's not the routine things that get me, there always is some little nit noit POS thing that you didn't expect that becomes will flat drive me wild. There have been times, under the MG, that I wished the thing would just fall off the jack stands to end the lunacy;-):mad:.

This is exactly why I now make it a policy to never do major repairs/ modifications on any car older than 1969. ;-):D

Working as a driveability tech at the dealership years ago, so much of what I did involved a computer or very specialized diagnostic tool that, without that stuff, I just leave the newer stuff to the pros. My 2007 Crown Vic gets no repairs from this guy.

I picked up a cheap code reader several years ago and it paid for itself the first time the check engine light lit up. An hour or so later the plug and COP on cylinder four was changed and all was good. The Haynes manual is handy, but you hit the nail on the head with websites. Everyone wants their fame by making videos of themselves fixing things.

Before moving to the 'burbs, the luxury of hitting up a neighbor or two for an oddball tool or for a little help was great. The suburbanite neighbors apparently think I am a master mechanic as they'll stop by when I'm doing simple stuff on the truck or replacing a drive belt on the walk behind mower. :rolleyes:

Funny you say that, after my dad sold his ranch, we moved into suburbs. Two of the guys I spent many of a night under a hood with or projecting in garages with, are still there and still doing the same old things. Between both their garage's and mine, ain't much we can't build or fix. Hell we did a frame off restro-mod of a CJ5 and than X liner the whole damn thing a few years ago. Had the fancy street looking like a pick n pull junk yard for about six weeks. lol most of the people on that street are stopping by for help, and we don't mind because it gives us projects to do instead of drinking beer all weekend long. I'll snap a few pictures of our garages this weekend, you guys wont believe some of the stuff we have acquired. I basically inherited a full on wood shop from my dad, two large mechanics tool boxes from an uncle and have added to it over the years. My cop buddy bought several storage units in action and acquired a shut down auto shops tools for like $300 (he also has impressive wood working tools/machines) my other buddy is a retired mechanic by trade, turned truck driver. Between building cabinet's, building guns, knives, cars, or whatever crazy idea we come up with after a few beers, its pretty damn fun and entertaining.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I now make it a policy to never do major repairs/ modifications on any car older than 1969. ;-):D

Working as a driveability tech at the dealership years ago, so much of what I did involved a computer or very specialized diagnostic tool that, without that stuff, I just leave the newer stuff to the pros. My 2007 Crown Vic gets no repairs from this guy.

I should take your advice, Doc.

PB plus heavy application of the following tool to expand the metal around seized bolts is my go to removal method. :thumbsup:

Acetylene-Torch.jpg

PB Blaster for seized bolts or just rusty old stuff

PB Blaster does not work on me but it is good to go!

Speaking of general maintenance, one of the suburbanites was telling me how he paid someone to come out and have his garage door balanced, blah, blah. Not long after he's telling me how my garage door is loud/squeaky when it opens or closes and made some more reference to his garage door. I took this to mean I should pay someone to fix what he perceived to be wrong with my door so I grabbed a rag, wiped down the rails, lubed all the hinges with silicon spray and proceeded to open and close the door a bunch of times by hand. Problem solved and its something I do once a year. What people pay other people to do amazes me.

Back