Vehicle maintenance

I have farm equipment so I have to do all the maintenance right here.

I figure for every three or four days of work I've got two days of maintenance.

The older you get the more tools you acquire. I've got all the tools I need until I need a new tool. ;-)

Last edited:
I do all the routine work on our cars, lawn equipment and Kubota 1550, 2 lawn tractors (Craftsman/Kohler & Husquvarna)

Our '94 Honda CRV has 260,000. The engine and drive train have been pretty bullet proof. The a/c has failed four times. The last time Everything had to be replaced for $5 K. ECM was replaced about two years ago. Not happy with the CRV
Ford '11 F-150 Super 4X4 Super cab, 86,000 +. I've used Ford filters, and Motocraft oil. No Problems
MG-B '80 LE. Svc every 3K. Replaced Suspension, Intake manifold, Side draft webber carb, Exhaust Headers SS Ecxhaust. Highgrind Cam, new breaks, New top & T-cover, has 68,000+ miles. Body and interior are origional.

Kubota, 460 hrs, has belly mower, Rear blade and front end loader. Seems to have around 15-20 grease fittings. Replaced all the hydraulic lines (NEVER again), removed and stored the belly mower, 4 wheel drive, power steering and automatic tranny, painted a stealthy Bright orange, has never been caught speeding on radar;-):-". This works hard, and demands a lot of care. Between the MG-B, and the Kubota, there is always something to do.

There are the usual chain saws, lawn weed eaters, and a utility trailer, power washer, snow blower, leaf blowers etc., etc. The garage is a huge, oversized so I have room for work benches, Griots bins, cabinets, drawers, and storage cubes in one wall, peg board and shelves on the wall.. Two a/c units for summer work. Kerosene heater for the cold months. I just hate to pay for something I can do myself.

Last edited:
Did the spark plugs on my sisters suv this morning, I was looking for my piece of rubber hose I've used for years. Got me think about this thread. I have used a 8" long 3/8 rubber hose to change plugs for years, especially on those hard to reach, fingers aren't long enough type places. Take the hose, push onto the plug and use it kinda like an extension of your fingers. You can start the plug get the threads going to hand tight, and just pull the hose off and tighten the rest with your socket. Works like a charm and will save you some bitching and moaning, more specifically, time.

Did the spark plugs on my sisters suv this morning, I was looking for my piece of rubber hose I've used for years. Got me think about this thread. I have used a 8" long 3/8 rubber hose to change plugs for years, especially on those hard to reach, fingers aren't long enough type places. Take the hose, push onto the plug and use it kinda like an extension of your fingers. You can start the plug get the threads going to hand tight, and just pull the hose off and tighten the rest with your socket. Works like a charm and will save you some bitching and moaning, more specifically, time.

I've been using deep well sockets with internal rubber grippers for spark plug changes. Not only does it make threading new one back in easier, it also helps numbskulls like me from breaking the new plugs:rolleyes::-".

After finally getting the ac compressor replaced, vacuumed, and ready to charge.... the freaking ac clutch fuse blows. I apparently must have a short somewhere that causes the the fuse to blow, and occasionally causes the whole Jeep to lose power. All I want it some cool air :whatever::( After all of this trouble, I don't think I will ever go for a Jeep again. This is the third time I have had to completely replace the ac setup. To include removing the dash and replacing the heater core and evaporator. I love my Jeep, but a 3x ac failure is unacceptable in the Florida heat because of poor engineering.

After finally getting the ac compressor replaced, vacuumed, and ready to charge.... the freaking ac clutch fuse blows. I apparently must have a short somewhere that causes the the fuse to blow, and occasionally causes the whole Jeep to lose power. All I want it some cool air :whatever::( After all of this trouble, I don't think I will ever go for a Jeep again. This is the third time I have had to completely replace the ac setup. To include removing the dash and replacing the heater core and evaporator. I love my Jeep, but a 3x ac failure is unacceptable in the Florida heat because of poor engineering.

Man that sucks, I really hate chasing down electrical shorts. I feel for your brother.

After finally getting the ac compressor replaced, vacuumed, and ready to charge.... the freaking ac clutch fuse blows. I apparently must have a short somewhere that try causes the the fuse to blow, and occasionally causes the whole Jeep to lose power. All I want it some cool air :whatever::( After all of this trouble, I don't think I will ever go for a Jeep again. This is the third time I have had to completely replace the ac setup. To include removing the dash and replacing the heater core and evaporator. I love my Jeep, but a 3x ac failure is unacceptable in the Florida heat because of poor engineering.

Jeep are selling a lifestyle impression with their vehicles, not necessarily a good value. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

For a similar used car in that type of vehicle range, a good condition "X" series Lexus SUV can't be beat.

I know how you feel. My wife drives a, '04 Honda CRV. We have relaced the a/c three times. The one that really hurt us was when it blew again in front od the Dulles Air Terminal. It burned the serpentine belt, with billowing black smoke everywhere when I opened the hood. This happened two hours from home. So, find a dealer get a rental, and hope the dealer would not soak us. Now the bad news.

Because of all the previous failures, this one in particular, the entire a/c unit, tubing condenser evaporator, I mean anything a/c related had to be replaced. The Price: $7,500.00. I said keep the car. My wife really wanted to keep it, and with the national shortage of good ammo, I decided not to shoot, her or myself. After three days of phone calls to Honda USA, and the dealer, we ended up paying around $5K.

I suggest you google your Jeep to see if this is a chronic problem for your year and model Jeep. If it is a chronic problem, be prepared for a little piece of a/c Hell, or get rid of it. Adding up all the a/c costs for this CRV, we have paid for this POS twice:mad::mad::mad:.

@Red Flag 1 the ac issue is a known one with Jeeps. This is the second one I have owned and the previous one had a similar issue, but only had the ac replaced once. The tag to fix the air each time was around 2K. This time I did the work myself, thanks to youtube and Haines, and was able to save a lot of money. It worked before, but this last time the compressor froze and needed to be replaced because of a lack of sufficient oil, and one of the return lines had a gradual leak. Right now I have to bear with it as I cannot afford a new vehicle. When the Teslas come down in price, those are the ones I will be eyeing covetously.

Tesla, I really like that the name of such a visionary was selected for the vehicle. They could have named it an "Edison" I suppose, but Tesla recalls the mystery once again. Good choice.

As for a total electric vehicle, my head is just not there yet. Hybrid perhaps, but the purchase price needs to drop more.

If it were any other electric I would agree with you. However, Tesla has made some substantial leaps forward in the automotive industry. While the price point is high, it has been steadily falling. Their SUVs come with a bioweapon defense mode for fucks sake. Among other improvements, they are continually improving the range of their vehicles. I hope great things for this company.

I have nothing bad to say about the Tesla. I think it is a marvel of advanced engineering. I think Tesla is setting the bar a little higher every year. More on the road will make a difference, but they have to be there for the long haul. I don't sense Tesela worrying about slow start. What will make a difference is price, how far it will go on a charge, and a solid long term warrenty..

My $.02.

I just changed my oil and filter on a 2011 Chevy Equinox after watching Yotube.

Youtube is your friend.

I would like to figure out how to change brake rotors and pads.

I just changed my oil and filter on a 2011 Chevy Equinox after watching Yotube.

Youtube is your friend.

I would like to figure out how to change brake rotors and pads.

That's easy. Couple bolts to take the caliper off, pads fall right out of it at that point, depends on how the rotor's mounted to things as to how it comes off.

I do a decent bit of work on my big rig, as every hour I work on it is saving $100-200 an hour in tech fees. Some things I leave to the techs to do, as $400 for an oil change isn't that big a deal given the additionals they do plus having a dedicated bay to get under the truck, dispose of gallons and gallons of old oil, etc.

I have 400 plus sockets and no 10mm's are anywhere to be found.........

Those damn 10mm's growing legs and running off every time you need one. Pretty sure they are the most lost sockets of all time. It's like my washing machine, just always eating one of my socks, not just every once in a while, but every goddamn time. Pretty sure that stupid machine keeps spitting them out under the machine, behind doors, under the bed... Sneaky fucker.

I had to buy a 32mk socket which is cut a certain way? From AutoZone to take my oil filter off.

More important project is to figure out why my dot window sticks. I think the lift motor is basically shot or it's off the track.

I had to buy a 32mk socket which is cut a certain way? From AutoZone to take my oil filter off.

Probably Star (Or 8 point) sockets. Great for lag bolts, square heads and thread taps.

More important project is to figure out why my dot window sticks. I think the lift motor is basically shot or it's off the track.

Silicone lubricant on the channels usually helps.

Back