Washington Navy Yard shooting: Active shooter sought in D.C.

Just saw this tweet on ABC7News: Witness to the #NavyYardShooting to @ABC7Sam: "He was just walking through the building shooting."

Yeah I've heard the same from witnesses. The Captain of the USS Cole was on Fox and said he had been texting his friend who were there and they were stuck inside and there were bullet holes in the office. I hope they catch the other two guys quickly..

NCIS is on scene apparently. I did see a tac'd out Marine sprinting down a side walk? Maybe?

Presidents speech is delayed. Hopefully there's only one shooter and this dickhead is dead.
Possibly a Marine from MB 8th & I reactionary team. There's always a contingent of Marines on duty there 24/7 with serious firepower... and within foot mobile distance of the Navy Yard. There are also teams of Marines that run security duty at the Navy Yard 24/7 but for General Officers and select personnel. The rest of the WNY has different kinds of security depending on which section. I stood post at the Latrobe Gate and nobody gets in through there until we've given them a colonoscopy. It sounds like this occurred in the interior of the base, perhaps on the side covered by private security and accessible through other Yard entrances not used by General officers.

Possibly a Marine from MB 8th & I reactionary team. There's always a contingent of Marines on duty there 24/7 with serious firepower... and within foot mobile distance of the Navy Yard. There are also teams of Marines that run security duty at the Navy Yard 24/7 but for General Officers and select personnel. The rest of the WNY has different kinds of security depending on which section. I stood post at the Latrobe Gate and nobody gets in through there until we've given them a colonoscopy. It sounds like this occurred in the interior of the base, perhaps on the side covered by private security and accessible through other Yard entrances not used by General officers.

That's exactly what it was! A buddy in the GORUCK community said his boys in the 8th and I had cleared/evac'd the local schools and were setting up outside the base. That had to be quite the experience for the kiddo's...

News just said one of the "suspects" they believe was a Navy first responder and they're more focused on the person in olive drab with the long rifle.

Shooter has been ID'd as 34 year old Aaron Alexis..

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first heard about this, I wondered if it was related to Zawahiri's recent request for "lone wolf" activity in support of AQ. Probably far too early to speculate on that right now.

The Navy says a gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.

The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.

Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.

Just imagine the response if USMIL and DOD civilians were REQUIRED to carry at work?

I have been saying that since before the FT Hood shooting. I think every AD service member should be required to carry their assigned weapon and a magazine of ammo. In todays current society, it foolishness that they are not.

Instead they require mandatory hide under your desk training for our nations defense forces.

Yeah there ain't nothing wrong with our current Military leadership. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
RIP to the fallen and a full recovery to those wounded, condolences to those left behind.

I hope the media doesn't glorify this murderer like they do with every other mass murderer.
The anti-gun nuts have already started spewing their vomit...

When I first heard about this, I wondered if it was related to Zawahiri's recent request for "lone wolf" activity in support of AQ. Probably far too early to speculate on that right now.

That was my thought as well, Mara. Early on, in particular, with reports of multiple shooters; AQ came to mind.

How in the world of "tight" security, did he get an AR-15 inside ?

http://swampland.time.com/2013/09/1...entagon-inspector-general-says/#ixzz2f6eBnrdb

A soon to be released government audit says the Navy, in an attempt to reduce costs, let down its guard to risks posed by outside contractors at the Navy Yard and other facilities, a federal official with access to the report tells TIME.

The Navy “did not effectively mitigate access control risks associated with contractor installation access,” at Navy Yard and other Navy installations, the report by the Department of Defense Inspector General’s office says. Parts of the audit were read to TIME by a federal official with access to the document.

The risks resulted from an attempt by Navy officials “to reduce access control costs,” the report finds.

The audit comes as questions are emerging about how the alleged perpetrator, or perpetrators, of the attack at the Navy Yard in Washington DC Monday gained access to the facility. At least 13 people are dead in the attack, including the alleged attacker, Aaron Alexis.

Once again a lack of funding/money/"costs too much" now costs lives. Time and time again this happens. Also the fact that felons can work on military bases while honorably discharged veterans are struggling to find work burns me also.

~SNIP~

How in the world of "tight" security, did he get an AR-15 inside ?
Add to that (the shooter had) a history of mental health issues, including paranoia, sleep disorder and hearing voices.
Source is a Fox News article from my phone app, sorry for no link at the moment

image.jpg

Back