Watches

I too am a bit of a watch-geek, here are the 4 in my current rotation.

Citizen Eco Drive (Satellite controlled) . Love this one when I travel as I adjust the time zone when I get on the plane and I am good to go for wherever I am heading.

Citizen Eco Drive. My everyday watch.

VictoriaKnox Swiss Army - when I'm feeling a little tactical, but don't won't to blow my load with the G-Shock

Suunto Ambit2 - working out like a bad dog.

IMG_6258.JPG

Simply put...one can not have TOO MANY watches....;-)

Nice watches gentlemen!

Probably when I go on my honeymoon (whenever that happens) I'll be down to St Thomas again for that wonderful Breitling Store where I get it duty free. The best deal on watches there though is Rado, Swiss Ceramic, 30% off plus duty-free.

My Fenix 5x came in...and I have to say it's not much heavier than my G shock, had to weigh it as a lot of the videos made me think it was going to be bad. 27gr heavier ain't bad overall.

Did you pull the trigger @Ooh-Rah ?

sigh...I did not.

Went to REI and found that they do not carry the Traverse, not even online. My Ambit2 still works just fine, so I'll hang on to it.

Used my REI rebate on a Yeti Hopper instead.

8E664126-75FB-42C8-B285-D38FC077A78E_zpsyql62z2c.jpg

As stated by several in this thread the Casio watches are GTG. Back in the '90s I wore a G-Shock when in the field, and in garrison I wore a TAG Heuer dive watch. The TAG to my knowledge is still at the bottom of Coronado Bay where I lost it... the band broke.

Presently I have several wrist watches, but the Casio Pathfinder is what I wear the most. I got it several years ago (~2010 / 2011) it has been put through the wringer! 7 wildland firefighting deployments, plus 4 years working maritime in the Gulf of Mexico. No Battery or service needed to date.

Casio Men's Pathfinder Triple Sensor Multi-Function Sport Watch Blue Nylon Strap

20170415_180746.jpg

I've found it requires calibration / re-calibration for the Barometer feature whenever you move a significant distance from the last time you calibrated it. Same goes for the Altimeter feature when geography / terrain features change drastically, i.e. Louisiana- flatland to Arkansas- Ozark Mountains. The Barometer can be 1 - 3 hPa off, not a big deal since trends or big shifts are what I am concerned with. As for the Altimeter it is typically useless at sealevel, or any location that is below 50 feet. It works well in elevations over 100 ft., and typically I've found it to be not more than 5 ft. off. The Compass feature has always worked well, but needs to be calibrated when time zone changes. Also keep in mind that radios, tools, equipment with lots of metal will cause issues if to close to watch. The Temperature sensor/ feature is the same as with other watches in that you have to take it off your wrist to get a accurate reading. I have / had other instruments for reference that aid in calibration, so that is why I give error margins on the Baro & Alti features.

Of course all that I have stated is listed in the manual.

Overall it is a freakin' Tank!

Last edited:
Back