Watches

Most everyone on this board has their "if I had the money" desire. Cars, bikes, guns, etc. Mine is a Breitling Emergency watch.

I do a lot of solo-camping and also canoe The Boundary Waters. It pains me to say that I am closer to 50 than I'd like to admit (holy shit :-o) and am considering making that my gift to myself. (I'll have to find a used one)

Anyone on the board ever part of being rescued because of the watch, or at least personally know someone who has? I've read all the stories their website has, but wondering if someone here has a personal experience with the watch?

upload_2017-7-4_21-20-27.png

Last edited:
My thing for watches includes two Rolex, Black Submariner and a GMT II, and two Breitlings, a Navitimer and the latest addition being a black Titanium Sea Avenger II. They all keep perfect time, and that is the basic requirement for any watch. I really like the Breitling Rescue for the analog and digital ability. I'm not sure about the dual frequency alert being the feature it used to be. If you are frequently out of cell phone range, then it really is worth the investment. Breitling will replace the watch if you use the rescue feature. The number of 20 rescued sounds reasonable. I don't know if they are using Tritium for night time viability or if it is something else? I do know people who have this timepiece but, I don't know personally anyone who has used the rescue feature of this timepiece.

I agree with @policemedic, that is one hell of a timepiece! I hope it works out that you can snag one of them, I promise that you will love it.

Nice collection of watches! I have always wanted a submariner but can't pull that trigger. I wear a Seiko 007 or my old G shock because that's all Whiskey 6 will sign off on:whatever:

That's nice. I'd bang the fuck out of that within the first week. :D:wall: Seriously. The only good watch I ever had was a Seiko that I left in the shower at the SF barracks at Ft Sherman. Some Green Beret got a nice free watch.

So I only buy cheap shit.

But that is quite a watch. :thumbsup:

For nigh on 20K, it had better be!

Yeah, you can find them 'used' for significantly less. Currently I wear my Suunto and keep a SPOT in my backpack. Being realistic, I'd probably crack the crystal on my first portage!

If I had the money? O_o:sneaky:

upload_2017-7-5_11-14-53.png

But I digress.

The boys on Top Gear did a test of this very watch, "stranding" a host and some crew on a mountain top in Canada then activating the rescue feature.

The segment was as much about the rescue cars and laughs as the watch, of course, but it gives a picture of it's real world use by a bunch of knuckle draggers.

I'm with DocIllinois! ;-)

For the BWCA and all other similar adventures, I have my Casio Pathfinder. It's proven durable and I never have to worry about a dead battery. The Breitling is a nice watch and probably extremely durable, I just don't know that I'd bring it with me on such a trip. Realistically, you're not buying this watch for it's PLB function. As you indicated, a SPOT (or sat phone - very expensive; like a Garmin Rino) is much better solution , simply because I know they work. That is not to say Brieling's PLB doesn't or won't work but there are limitations (BTW, is this the Emergency or Emergency II? they function differently). As with my Pathfinder, I don't really look for it give me a solid altitude or barometric pressure reading (ie. I wouldn't use it to replace my altimeter when skydiving).

That said, I think you should get the Brietling if for no other reason than it's an awesome showpiece...and that may allow you to party with girls like the ones DocIllinois posted! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Is this the watch thread? O_o

The reason I ask is that I ran into this Stainless Aqua
while surfing the net. Anyone heard of this or have one? (Not the ladies sea pearl for you guys unless you are into that sort of thing, but I dont judge)
I would volunteer to "field test" the Ladies Sea Pearl in Aqua for the maker just in case he is a member here. ;-)
This is from the "about us" on the web page.

An American Watch Brand; this modest company is a labor of love to its founder, RE Smith and even wields his name
Resco was not conceived overnight but rather over many years of careful planning and consideration. As a matter of fact, R.E. dreamed of building a watch company many years ago but due to the dynamic nature of his "Day Job" things had to be put on hold. During this time, designs were refined and plans were laid just waiting for the right time to be set into motion. In 2009, the time was right.

Founded in 2009, Resco Instruments set out to build a sleek, simple and rugged timepiece. This vision was realized with the production of the Gen1 Patriot model.
We pride ourselves on being an American brand. All of our watches are designed, assembled and tested in Coronado USA and bear the name our hometown on the base of the dial. Resco has also produced the Gen1 Re-release Patriot, Gen2 Patriot, BullFrog, BlackFrog, Hooper, Manus Chronograph, Red Circle, Kauffman, UDT, RTAC GMT and Ladies Sea Pearl.
Due to the nature of R.E.’s busy military schedule, Resco must limit production to 600-1000 watches annually. These numbers will grow in the coming years but will never breach 3000 watches in any one year. We invite you to browse our site and ask any questions that you may have. We enjoy the personal interaction with our customers and we welcome any feedback you may have.

On my list of things I wanted to do. Lot of watch guys running around here, I'd love to see more participation and pics!

In the real world , most days I wear my trusty Citizen Eco-drive. It is totally my favorite watch. I got a new one last year which is all blingy but I save that one for fun. It's too flashy for work. I have not worn my Swiss Army in forever because everytime it has to go back to Switzerland or whatever mystery place you have to send it to get the damn battery changed, it takes something stupid like 8 weeks to get it back again. (sigh)

it has to go back to Switzerland or whatever mystery place you have to send it to get the damn battery changed

Out of curiosity, have you tried a different jeweler? I too have a Swiss Army, (Victorianox) and have never had to have it sent in for battery change and cleaning.

On my list of things I wanted to do. Lot of watch guys running around here, I'd love to see more participation and pics!

i wear a G Shock daily, have for about 20-25 years, but I have have a few nicer watches.
I still love my old school diver Seiko 007 on an oyster. If it wasn't so heavy, I'd wear it everyday. Love the Rolex Sub, but I just can't pull the trigger on 6k for one.:(

Last edited:
Back