Watches

Jackel

Verified Military
I own a 5.11 Field Watch. My question is can you change the compass from degrees to mils?? Couldn't find it anywhere in the manual, didn't know if I missed something. Thanks

Off the top of my head its about 17 mils to a degree. In all honesty mate if your using a watch to navigate your seriously farked, I have one on my Casio but have never used it. I do like the altimeter for tuning my map to ground though.

well, I agree. If I need a watch to get my bearing, I probably have bigger worries but my Gunny was tooling around with it and asked me. Not knowing the answer I did what I could and came up short, so here I am...

??? Are you saying 90 degrees becomes 900 mils? There're 6400 mils in a circle, so 90 degrees should equal to 1600 mils...

http://www.unitconversion.org/angle/degrees-to-mils-conversion.html

Sorry mate, my bad, it's been a while, you're right. The U.S. military standardised to make North as 6400 mils, South is 3200 and so on, so just make a mental note of the four cardinal points in degrees (E90, S180, W240 & N390) and you're laughing. The intercardinal points (NE, SE etc) will come later. There seems to be compasses you can buy which have both but I doubt if they're issued kit.

Off the top of my head its about 17 mils to a degree. In all honesty mate if your using a watch to navigate your seriously farked, I have one on my Casio but have never used it. I do like the altimeter for tuning my map to ground though.

I use my analog watch to get a general idea of the cardinal directions (don't need a watch with a built in compass for that!), but for true navigating, I agree. A good compass is relatively cheap, no reason not to have a couple of them around.

Sorry mate, my bad, it's been a while, you're right. The U.S. military standardised to make North as 6400 mils, South is 3200 and so on, so just make a mental note of the four cardinal points in degrees (E90, S180, W240 & N390) and you're laughing. The intercardinal points (NE, SE etc) will come later. There seems to be compasses you can buy which have both but I doubt if they're issued kit.

You doubt a compass with degress and mills is issued kit? If thats what you ment I'm sorry to tell you that is exactly what our standard issued Kit is.

You're lucky, we didn't have that back in the day. If so, I can't see a problem with the original question.

I own a 5.11 Field Watch. My question is can you change the compass from degrees to mils?? Couldn't find it anywhere in the manual, didn't know if I missed something. Thanks

Why do you want to do that?
The Army works off degrees (except arty) do the Marines use mils?

Why do you want to do that?
The Army works off degrees (except arty) do the Marines use mils?

We use both, depending on the situation. Any Arty, Naval Guns, or Mortar support is mils, and close air support and land nav is in degrees.

I don't see the need for having mils on a watch. The only time I use mils is for accurate target location/ fire support planning and I have my trusty lensatic compass, or my laser for that. But if you need it, the conversion from degrees to mils is as follows. 1 degree = 17.8 mils. 360 degrees = 6400 mils.

So, I did a search but couldn't find a previous thread. Forgive me if I missed it!

Anyway, just curious as to what you all are wearing when it comes to watches. Pics are appreciated!

Here are mine. Two G-Shocks and a Suunto.

20130508_015356.jpg

Haven't worn it in a while, I need to find my extra links to adjust the band but my regular work and play watch for over 10 years now is a Tissot Titanium. I had the guts replaced a few years ago, the sweat and shit from Asscrackistan must have leaked in and seized up every thing. But the bezel is still clear, no scratches.

watches.jpg

I have always used a g shock overseas and for diving but I got a nixon surf watch (on the right) a year ago so I had something that didn't scream military. We do a lot of international travel for JPAC and we try to reduce our military profile. We used to get issued the marathon dive watches, which I am a huge fan of, and I wear that a lot as well but not everyday because I like having a timer on my watch for working out etc. I like the tritium on the marathon watch as well. I have been issued a ton of suuntos but that shit is too high speed and complicated for me. I had a suunto shit the bed on me in the Arctic on an exercise (-35 degrees btw) while Mr G shock took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. I also had a suunto start giving me bad bearings during an advanced evasion course. I use a large wrist mounted compass to back up my issue compass now.

View attachment 8342

I have always used a g shock overseas and for diving but I got a nixon surf watch (on the right) a year ago so I had something that didn't scream military. We do a lot of international travel for JPAC and we try to reduce our military profile. We used to get issued the marathon dive watches, which I am a huge fan of, and I wear that a lot as well but not everyday because I like having a timer on my watch for working out etc. I like the tritium on the marathon watch as well. I have been issued a ton of suuntos but that shit is too high speed and complicated for me. I had a suunto shit the bed on me in the Arctic on an exercise (-35 degrees btw) while Mr G shock took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. I also had a suunto start giving me bad bearings during an advanced evasion course. I use a large wrist mounted compass to back up my issue compass now.

That Nixon is The Unit?

If so how accurate is the temp on it? The manual says body temp throws it off.

I've always liked G-Shocks for some reason. They just have a good style. I know my Suunto is affected by your body temp when you use the thermometer. I don't use the altimeter or barometer much...still have to learn the proper way to adjust them.

I like the Pathfinders...especially the 240 I think. The one with the yellow button on the bottom that says "light".

My pathfinder shit the bed on me quickly (solar powered model) and any watch with a thermometer is affected by wearing it... 10 minutes by the manual on the Suunto off your body to read proper temp.... and honestly, external temp is probably one of the least used features for pretty much any military operation. It's either hot as balls or cold as fuck, or somewhere inbetween.

Having a barometer/altimeter is a great thing... especially if you pay attention to the track of the pressure, since you can tell when shit's getting close to changing and have a couple hour lead on when weather is going to go to shit. Very easy to work with. 10 minutes playing with the watch with a full read-through of the manual is all it takes to be able to use it right.

Back