What Are You Currently Reading?

A copy of Top Gun: The Legacy turned up today and I am very impressed so far. Have noticed some minor technical mistakes and I've skipped the first few chapters since they don't interest me but the bit I've started at (basically when the school stood up) is well written, well sourced (love me some footnotes) and some cool photos.

I’m currently listening to Retribution by Max Hastings. Having listened to the most recent Hardcore history I was quite intrigued.

I do not have a ton of time (read absolutely fucking zero) to actually read, so I spend my drives and mornings setting up OR’s listening to books on tape and podcasts.

About halfway through "Death & Survival in Glacier National Park: True Tales of Tragedy, Courage, & Misadventure" by C.W. Guthrie & Dan and Ann Fagre.

It's kind of an interesting compilation that chronicles all of the 296 deaths in Glacier National Park since it's founding in 1910, including names, ages, locations, and causes of death. It also includes stories of a number of deaths prior to the official establishment of the park and a number of near-death incidents. Simply put, it's a collection of cautionary tales. :-)

The read is a bit clunky and disjointed in that it feels like a bunch of news articles strung together, which is probably not too far from the truth. As a result, it's been a little slower read since I feel I can pick it up and set down just about anywhere. Nonetheless, it's still worth the read -- probably, in part, because it's one on my favorite places on the planet.

Last edited:
The Black Echo by Michael Connelly.

I generally consider fiction to be a waste of time when there are so many actual stories in our actual world, but y'all don't need a 'get off my grass' rant.

This is a good book. I'm...25%-ish into it now and really enjoy the plot and Connelly's writing style. The book is the first in the Bosch series,, the books that spawned the Bosch TV series on Amazon Prime. I loved the series and thought I'd try one of his books. Obviously, the series and books will differ, some seasons are a combination of books, but the characters and story arc are basically the same. One comparison I really like: they nailed the series casting and minus Bosch smoking, the character's mannerisms and behavior as well.

If you like the series, I don't think you'll hate the books. Regardless, solid writer, solid story, and he avoids a lot of what I hate about fiction.

I'll post an update when I'm done with the book.

The Guns of August, by Barbara W. Tuchman

Where has this book been all my life? Written in 1962...and I finally picked it up. Now I know why it got a Pulitzer. Fascinating, detailed account of the opening days of the First World War and a brilliant military history. (She can't hide her wit, especially with regard to the Kaiser.) If you're serious about your military history, this is a classic and fulfilling read.

The First World War, by John Keegan

This is next in line after the Tuchman book. I've read two of the late John Keegan's other books: Five Armies in Normandy, and A History of Warfare, and I know I won't be disappointed. Sir John was the senior lecturer at Sandhurst for 26 years and was (and is) considered one of the most distinguished military historians of our era.

My brother in law gave me a copy of Guns of August for Christmas several years ago. I'm not particularly interested in WWI, but wow that was a great book.

I've never been that interested, either...until now. Trying to fill some of those gaps and really enjoying it. I've also been reading a number of Dan Brown's excellent and bloody histories: The Plantagenets, The War of the Roses, Powers and Thrones and Crusaders.

Last edited:
I've never been that interested, either...until now. Trying to fill some of those gaps and really enjoying it. I've also been reading a number of Dan Brown's excellent and deliciously bloody histories: The Plantagenets, The War of the Roses, Powers and Thrones and Crusaders.
Many years ago I read a book called "Why the Crimean War." It was very niche, but insightful. And with the events in Ukraine, it's even more interesting to me.

I've never been that interested, either...until now. Trying to fill some of those gaps and really enjoying it. I've also been reading a number of Dan Brown's excellent and deliciously bloody histories: The Plantagenets, The War of the Roses, Powers and Thrones and Crusaders.
I’m reading Brown’s books now. I love his works. I also watch his documentaries as well. He certainly knows his subject matter.

Just finished up Retribution, now listening to “Under the Banner of Heaven” by Jon Krakauer.

I just finished the first three books in the Bosch series. For a guy who rarely reads fiction, I find the series very entertaining. The author drops into some of the pitfalls that plague fiction (and turn me off to the genre), but I can glaze over and move past those sections.

The characters are compelling, the stories are solid, and the twists are expected but not over-the-top. Sure a few sections have a WTF moment, but those are kind of rare.

I just finished the first three books in the Bosch series. For a guy who rarely reads fiction, I find the series very entertaining. The author drops into some of the pitfalls that plague fiction (and turn me off to the genre), but I can glaze over and move past those sections.

The characters are compelling, the stories are solid, and the twists are expected but not over-the-top. Sure a few sections have a WTF moment, but those are kind of rare.

I enjoyed the TV show, even though it had it's slow periods.

Back