What Martial Arts Style(s) Do you Practice and Why?

Yeah level one is a joke, level two is much better (at least with the old MACP courses). I'm not to sure with the changes made. Most of the level threes I've rolled with were on top of their game and solid on stand up and the ground.
Funny you say that, and completely agree. After about 8 hours of class during the SOCP Instructor (Lvl II) course, Greg Thompson looked at us and siad, "Congrats, you're all MACP level 2 now." We had done almost nothing- some position work.

That kind of made me question MACP, until I rolled/sparred with a couple level 4 dudes, and they were legit. Really well rounded. Changed my perception of it.

Funny you say that, and completely agree. After about 8 hours of class during the SOCP Instructor (Lvl II) course, Greg Thompson looked at us and siad, "Congrats, you're all MACP level 2 now." We had done almost nothing- some position work.

That kind of made me question MACP, until I rolled/sparred with a couple level 4 dudes, and they were legit. Really well rounded. Changed my perception of it.

Yeah level one is really a waste of time dependent on the instructor. To call a level one a MACP instructor has always struck many as bullshit. Level two is where you really start learning and if your working in a fight house as an assistant you really start to develop good technique.

I went through L1 back in 2003 at Ft Benning and than did L1 & L2 at Ft Hood back in 2006, and became an assistant for both courses until late 2007. Than kept up with it as a unit trainer 2008-2009 before I got hurt. I learned a lot more retaking L1 the second time, larned a shit load more taking L2 and than assisting with courses. With MACP you really need to roll 2-3 times a week to get good at it. Unfortunately I got deployment orders before I got to go to L3, I would have really liked to have gone through all the levels. I was primarily a weapons trainer back than, so the combatives training and assisting was on my own time while we were between training cycles. I just didn't feel like I had enough time teaching to take on L3 at the time and I regret it now.

That said, I learned a hell of a lot during those two years and really improved my ground game and clinch work.

Never heard that Level 1 for MACP was ever an instructor. It was basically trained in combatives, that was what I knew of it, and also why our Company L3 instructor gave me the option coming from Regiment to flat out pencil whip it after we rolled... and I choked him out 3 out of 3 times, yet showing him what I did, how I did it, and the escape techniques for the techniques or at least "best defense" in that situation. L2+ was instructor, L2 = platoon L3= company L4= Bn level, with all the planning and stuff that comes along with it.... basically having some L2's in each platoon and a couple L3's per company gives you the relatively experienced cadre to be able to effectively demonstrate and supervise application of techniques.

L1 was supposed to be a squad/platoon level trainer, more or less teaching roll drills 1-6 (if I remember correct).

L1= able to teach basic position and roll drills.

L2= teaches submissions and stand up, assists in L1 & L2 classes.

L3= can certify L1's and run Btn Combatives sustainment program.

L4= certify L2's and master trainer in combatives (I.e. run a school, fight house, design and run sustainment program)

That's how it was back when I was involved with it. At the unit level, everyone normally got L1 and in most cases L2 once they made SPC-SGT. I imagine its different for all units.

We didn't even have levels for Ranger combatives.... your level was "LEARN TO FUCKING WIN", period.

Hence learning various techniques of "Kpot Steering Wheel" "RBA Plate-Butt" "Strangle you with your own LBE" etc.

Yeah it’s supposed to somewhat work that way, but normally doesn’t. Most units have a handful of guys that take MACP seriously, while the rest just check the block. Every platoon I was in, would have about half the platoon doing combative rumbles when we were bored or needing to dump some aggression. I wouldn’t call these rumbles educational, but it got people using the techniques. My last command stopped it because we had a few guys get black eyes, busted noses and one bad elbow injury from an arm-bar. CO said to stop that shit in standard risk adverse Army leadership style.

Krav Maga and BJJ. Both compliment each other well and have more practical (read = "real world") application without getting overly wrapped around the axle on things like forms, etc.

I'm looking to train a lot of EmptyForce (EFO).

It's pretty legit:

And it's real world application pretty much has me sold

Fins are so hammered om vodka most of the time it might actually work on them lol

Here is a good clip with Joe Rogan and Bas Rutten discussing fake martial arts.

Martial Arts is the one industry that contains more "posers" than the military.

It's a hard industry to keep track of.

Martial Arts is the one industry that contains more "posers" than the military.

It's a hard industry to keep track of.

Today we were grappling and the guy who was "a semi-professional boxer" got choked out in maybe fifteen seconds. I'd love to see his stand up though. :rolleyes:

Today we were grappling and the guy who was "a semi-professional boxer" got choked out in maybe fifteen seconds. I'd love to see his stand up though. :rolleyes:

Hardly a good example. What would a boxer know about grappling?

Hardly a good example. What would a boxer know about grappling?

My thoughts exactly. One of my first Muay Thai sparring sessions was against a jacked dude with a few years of training, and he absolutely destroyed me. One day he decided to come in for a BJJ class, and we rolled. I only had a few weeks of experience, but I choked him out at least half a dozen times in 3 minutes with zero effort. Seriously, there was a 13 year old in the class that gave me more problems than he did. It reminded me of a Gracie quote: "A boxer is like a lion, the greatest predator on land. But you throw him in the shark tank and he's just another meal." That goes both ways. Focusing on just one aspect is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Back