What Martial Arts Style(s) Do you Practice and Why?

I bet you've got one of the same Gi's I do then, AKkeith... I just stopped training since getting off work from being active duty to go throw around civvies got old real quick. Plus practice times and times released from duty didn't coencide enough to make it cost effective.

Necropost....

By the way, I wouldn't describe aikido as either grappling or ground-based. At least, not in the way Judo/Jujitsu/MMA/Brazilian Jujitsu is.
Seemed like a good thread to revive.

ai·ki·do
  1. a Japanese form of self-defense and martial art that uses locks, holds, throws, and the opponent's own movements.
An art that includes very much hand-wrist joint locks is pretty much a "grappling" art to me. But just my perspective.

Now, I want to find a way to train against multiple threats with beer bottles and such. It seems like Krav Maga may be the closest thing to that but it doesn't really inspire me. Still looking.

I'm familiar with both the definition and practical application of aikido. While there are some techniques that can be adapted to use on the ground, and arguably some that O Sensei intended to be initiated from the ground, it's still not what I consider ground-based. Probably just a matter of personal viewpoint.

I'm familiar with both the definition and practical application of aikido. While there are some techniques that can be adapted to use on the ground, and arguably some that O Sensei intended to be initiated from the ground, it's still not what I consider ground-based. Probably just a matter of personal viewpoint.
I definitely agree PM, Aikido was the least ground oriented of my training. But still very much of a hands-on grappling type of Art. lots of hands wrist elbow locks, and very much like judo in using the person's own weight-momentum against them. I loved Aikido, and it was a really good follow-up to judo/jujitsu.

But, as I've gotten older I realize more that in an emergency "we do as we are trained"....instinct and gross muscle memory seem to take over conscious thought. One-on-one "bar fights" are likely in my past now, and more likely is a multiple attacker "gang predators" dark parking lot scenario. So the last thing I want to do is get tied up with going "grappling" for an elbow lock ...while the others kick/cut/bash the s*** outta me. More like fighting a pack of wolves then a "give/take' sparring situation.

The CCW is probably the best option, but I don't always have it with me. So I want to train my muscle memory in something almost as explosive-shock-awe based. I don't want to "spar" and prove that I'm a badass, I want to go home to mama. Lol! I'm looking for the martial art that teaches me how to be "explosive" (and do the most damage, as quick as I can)...into an "escape route" where I run like hell if I have to! Pride is way overrated compared to Mama's sweet lovin waiting at home.

Follow-on thought: (don't know how to edit ^)

I'm thinking maybe a good Boxing class might be my answer, to get me out of the 20+ years of grappling conditioned mindset. It can be explosive, and I can focus on really good footwork and speed.

I have a good heavy bag that I've been trying to work on in "bursts" of (wild/flailing...Lol!) combinations, but no real good instruction. And focusing on the footwork (with good instruction) would really help train me to stay/think/react more on my feet.

You don't have permission to edit yet, merged the posts for you. A Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done several years of MMA, concentrating mainly in BJJ and Muay Thai adding in some wrestling classes. Had some legit trainers (which seem like theres plenty of here on Long Island, NY) MMA seems to not be far behind the crossfit culture around here. I was offered to fight amateur but its definitely not a lifestyle I was looking to follow, I was training merely for the challenge and gaining knowledge of my own body.

I learned real quick I am not a fan of stand up fighting, I hate exchanging blows while standing and rather take the fight to the ground. As well as learning I can take a hard knee to the face without getting knocked out.. Stopped training because where I trained was inside a regular gym that closed down. Great times, and really miss it.

I hate exchanging blows while standing and rather take the fight to the ground. .
Exactly!
My mindset has always been to take it to the ground as fast as possible, but I'm thinking that might be a mistake for me...in a multiple attacker situation true life-death "combative" scenario.

Seemed like a good thread to revive.

ai·ki·do
  1. a Japanese form of self-defense and martial art that uses locks, holds, throws, and the opponent's own movements.
An art that includes very much hand-wrist joint locks is pretty much a "grappling" art to me. But just my perspective.

Now, I want to find a way to train against multiple threats with beer bottles and such. It seems like Krav Maga may be the closest thing to that but it doesn't really inspire me. Still looking.

Reading your posts it sounds to me that Krav Maga is exactly what you're looking for.

Exactly!
My mindset has always been to take it to the ground as fast as possible, but I'm thinking that might be a mistake for me...in a multiple attacker situation true life-death "combative" scenario.

My mantra when I was an idiot and fighting a lot on the streets was "never go to the ground". After seeing people getting their heads kicked in after doing so, you'd understand why.

My .02c

Ground fighting skills are useful in one-on-one fights (but I'm not sure 'fair ones' happen anymore). With more than one opponent, I believe it's suicidal to choose to go to the ground.

I learned real quick I am not a fan of stand up fighting, I hate exchanging blows while standing and rather take the fight to the ground. As well as learning I can take a hard knee to the face without getting knocked out..

How many real fights have you been in and how many of those involved more than one active combatant? A real fight is defined as one you won't walk away from under your own power if you lose.

That said, there is value in hard training and developing a broad skill set. Learning to take a hit is very important. So is learning to counter moves like a tackle.

Bruce Lee was questioned on ground fighting and the percentage of fights that ended up on the ground. His answer was, "100% of fights start standing up!"

Reading your posts it sounds to me that Krav Maga is exactly what you're looking for...
Thanks Pardus, I came to the same conclusion but then I went and looked at a class and I just couldn't get inspired about it. I can't explain why. I can tell from your response that you understand what I'm saying about the ground game being a possible mistake. And I have to break those old habits.

Logic tells me to train to improve where I am weak (stand up fighting) and make that strong. So much of this is about mindset, and I can get motivated about boxing footwork...something I've always admired and really wanted to learn. I don't know why Krav Maga didn't really sit right with me, maybe it was just so different than the Japanese arts. And maybe that "less methodical", less organized difference is exactly what I need. I do know that my mindset has changed to the desired outcome being make the other guy go to the ground! Lol!

That begs the question: Why not? For the average--hell, even well-trained--person, a multiple attacker situation is a losing proposition without a gun.
I work in a somewhat hardened / secure building (metal detects, armed security, etc) that does not allow weapons, and I don't want to leave mine in the car in our downtown area parking.

Ground fighting skills are useful in one-on-one fights (but I'm not sure 'fair ones' happen anymore). With more than one opponent, I believe it's suicidal to choose to go to the ground.
Spot on.

Exactly!

I guess the question to ask yourself is how feasible i
How many real fights have you been in and how many of those involved more than one active combatant? A real fight is defined as one you won't walk away from under your own power if you lose.

That said, there is value in hard training and developing a broad skill set. Learning to take a hit is very important. So is learning to counter moves like a tackle.

Bruce Lee was questioned on ground fighting and the percentage of fights that ended up on the ground. His answer was, "100% of fights start standing up!"

Think you quoted wrong person with the multiple attackers part. But, since you asked. Aside from the training I haven't been in many "fights" and they only involved one individual besides myself, never any that was considered a situation where things could actually get out of control. So compared to probably most on this board my real world experiences are much less.

I would definitely agree with that you need a good base in standing as you were saying in the final portion of your post.. And yes I put quotations around fights for you because we both walked away under our own power in each fight I was in. :D

Aside from the training I haven't been in many "fights" and they only involved one individual besides myself, never any that was considered a situation where things could actually get out of control. So compared to probably most on this board my real world experiences are much less.
K9, that just means you were probably smarter than me when we were young!

That being said, I miss the days of a good old "friendly" fight. I think MMA may be the only place you can find that anymore. Too old for that shit!

Maybe some Krav-Maboxing training...and "front sight front sight front sight".

Thanks Pardus, I came to the same conclusion but then I went and looked at a class and I just couldn't get inspired about it. I can't explain why. I can tell from your response that you understand what I'm saying about the ground game being a possible mistake. And I have to break those old habits.

Logic tells me to train to improve where I am weak (stand up fighting) and make that strong. So much of this is about mindset, and I can get motivated about boxing footwork...something I've always admired and really wanted to learn. I don't know why Krav Maga didn't really sit right with me, maybe it was just so different than the Japanese arts. And maybe that "less methodical", less organized difference is exactly what I need. I do know that my mindset has changed to the desired outcome being make the other guy go to the ground! Lol!

Go to the ground in a real fight when there is more than one person and the best you can expect is to go to hospital.

When asked about the difference between "traditional" martial arts and the likes of Krav Maga, I tell people that one is a martial art, a semi religion, lifestyle, involving medicine, belief, tradition, dancing, as well as fighting. Fighting is just one aspect of it. To the likes of Krav (which for the record I've never done), which is a practical fighting art.

Why don't you actually do a lesson or two of Krav, instead of just looking? You might be surprised.

Why don't you actually do a lesson or two of Krav, instead of just looking? You might be surprised.
Yeah, you got me thinking twice about it. On reflection, I think the reason it didn't sit right with me was because it was outside my normal frame of reference, and wasn't so structured. But if I'm trying to break my old routines that may be exactly what I need. Getting outside the comfort zone and such.

The only other solutions that I thought of where to buy a pack of wolves and keep them good and hungry, or jog through south Phoenix screaming anti gang insults. 8-) good cardio if nothing else!

In all seriousness Pardus, I think you hit on something. It does seem to be the closest fit to the "dark parking garage" multi-tweaker realism I'm looking to train for.

Yeah, you got me thinking twice about it. On reflection, I think the reason it didn't sit right with me was because it was outside my normal frame of reference, and wasn't so structured. But if I'm trying to break my old routines that may be exactly what I need. Getting outside the comfort zone and such.

The only other solutions that I thought of where to buy a pack of wolves and keep them good and hungry, or jog through south Phoenix screaming anti gang insults. 8-) good cardio if nothing else!

In all seriousness Pardus, I think you hit on something. It does seem to be the closest fit to the "dark parking garage" multi-tweaker realism I'm looking to train for.

Learn to street fight.
Remember pointy bony parts of your body go into flat bony or soft fleshy areas of your opponents body. Never punch your opponent in the face/head, you only break your hands. A full power hammer fist to the collar bone will drop 95% of the population; a knee in the groin will drop 99.9% of the remaining 5%, that last 1/10 of a %... you're fucked, they're not fully human. Fingers up the nose, in the eyes, or ripping somebody's ear off will make them think twice. Crush your opponent's instep, if he's incapacitated, you can leave or move on to opponent 2. You will get hurt, your job is to hurt your opponent(s) more, or kill him/them, or escape.

There is no such thing as a 'fair' fight. There are only 3 rules in fighting; 1. It's either you or him. 2. There are no rules. 3. See rule 1

ETA - Fuck the Marquis of Queensbury, go full Marquis de Sade on your opponent.

Last edited:
Learn to street fight.
Remember pointy bony parts of your body go into flat bony or soft fleshy areas of your opponents body. Never punch your opponent in the face/head, you only break your hands. A full power hammer fist to the collar bone will drop 95% of the population; a knee in the groin will drop 99.9% of the remaining 5%, that last 1/10 of a %... you're fucked, they're not fully human. Fingers up the nose, in the eyes, or ripping somebody's ear off will make them think twice. Crush your opponent's instep, if he's incapacitated, you can leave or move on to opponent 2. You will get hurt, your job is to hurt your opponent(s) more, or kill him/them, or escape.

There is no such thing as a 'fair' fight. There are only 3 rules in fighting; 1. It's either you or him. 2. There are no rules. 3. See rule 1

ETA - Fuck the Marquis of Queensbury, go full Marquis de Sade on your opponent.

Know your opponent,
, and his weak points 8-):D.

your post.
This exactly.

That's Why I think Krav (maybe) may be the closest option in the civilian world. Something along the lines of like the Marine Corps hand to hand training would be great, and since we "do as were trained" under stress, I think training in any other MMA-style "give-take" sparring-type art could be doing myself a disservice. Perhaps the wrong mindset, in the end.

Don't get me wrong, when I was young I used to love to have a good old MMA style friendly fight. I was fairly fast, and wiry, and could bring almost anybody (at the bar) down to the ground and do a pretty good job of grappling them to submission. Now, I believe the whole world's mindset has changed. it's all about being a "playa" and "you disrespected me m***********"...and even at a bar you could be facing not just one guy but his whole "posse". The actual "culture" of violence has changed. Hell I even observe this mindset in young folks in the office politics...it's play or be played and there's very little honor.

I think my own mindset started to change with my CCW class, and further defensive pistol classes. And watching some crazy (but real world) dash cam footage. Training a mindset to be prepared for anything but full-on mayhem may be a disservice. Maybe not just for me (who leads a relatively tame life) but especially for you guys?

Back