What Martial Arts Style(s) Do you Practice and Why?

Here is my honest opinion, you can "pro up" on anything, and damn strait you will be a badass with any "not in your realm" of fighting bullshit. But any wrestler can put q boxer on the mat, and any boxer can knockout a wrestler.

Reality is MMA Fighters are the cream of the crop in a cage or ring, without doubt they are 110% in the game. Even so, through body armor, weapons and a better trained opponents in the mix and the shit will only get you so far.

There is a lot to be said for deflection and body control. But reality is all about crushing their inner soal to continue, either through pain or death, and it take a warrior mind set to train and get there.

Point being, it doesn't matter what style (within reason) its all about inner will and proficient execution of technique you have developed. I've met skinny guys who can hand/fuck up the average size guys, and I've seen 3rd.degree black belts get beat the fuck down by out of shape assholes who knew a move or two they profected.

$.02

Last edited:
I studied MCMAP because the Marine Corps said we had too. :thumbsup: :ninja:

I wish there was a way to get back into MCMAP as a civilian but I have had no luck finding anyone that teaches it.

Capoeira (When I was younger and lived in south America)
Krav (at various schools and academies), Kali (Same) BJJ (same) Judo (same)
Boxing (During high school)
Muay Thai (During high school)
Wrestling (For high school)

.....and then of course the super SEAL/RANGER/MARSOC/SF course that the US Navy gives there Master-At-Arms, SRF-B and SRF-A trains us in the ancient New York/New Jersey originated "MOCK" styles of self defense. Probably way better than anything anyone has ever taught anywhere at any point in history....(not proud of this). Its a 5 step program on how to get your ass beat by anyone who's ever had even those remedial self-defense training....ever...while drunk.

I have to correct myself. Its officially called "MACH", Mechanical Advantage Control Holds.

This video actually makes it look very effective. Probably because the instructor is a competent fella. I couldnt find the videos they show us but its these two huge mafia enforcer types with thick Jersey accents practicing somewhere in a park and at some point a rather small framed filipino gentleman gets used as a training aide.

That's almost identical to the techniques they use for juvenile corrections. Works well eneough when you are bigger than 75% of the inmates.
Reed

That's almost identical to the techniques they use for juvenile corrections. Works well eneough when you are bigger than 75% of the inmates.
Reed

Exactly. And when you're teaching kids that have 0% exposure to any type of fighting or any type of hand to hand combat they actually expect this to work against someone who wants to re-arrange your dna. Its a formula for destruction. Considering the global shitstorm we are in. I would send all US Navy MA's to infantry school. Weed out the weak minded and uninspired and also develop an actual skill. Add to that an actual martial arts program, a la MCMAP. I dont understand why this isnt available Navy-wide.

I would send all US Navy MA's to infantry school. Weed out the weak minded and uninspired and also develop an actual skill. Add to that an actual martial arts program, a la MCMAP. I dont understand why this isnt available Navy-wide.

The bolded text makes zero sense. If you want to develop fighting skills, they can go through MCMAP, MACP, or maybe even SOCP. MAs, SECFO, MPs, etc. have no need to go to infantry school. They're cops, not grunts.

They are anything but cops. My reasoning for this is due to the lack of direction the mos has in the Navy as of late. We do less and less applicable MP work and instead of having private contractors augment us it's the opposite. We are losing any identity as MPs. My theory is train them more specifically for combat and we can be utilized to augment forward deployed units. The Navy is also very unlike the USMC and Army in the fact that they are extremely tight fisted about schooling and Navy MPs are always at the bottom of the barrel. The MOS needs to diversify itself and make itself useful rather than waste away and be completely obsolete. That's quite a tangent and deviation from the thread and my apologies but it's a very serious issue in my MOS. We just aren't necessary anymore. Also, USAF and Army have far better MP programs than the Navy.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think I'm communicating the issue with the MOS at its present in the best way. I still think adding a combat skills aspect to the job would be beneficial but I think I've turned this thread into something it shouldn't be. Also, I imagine I'm talking about implementing something I have little knowledge of. I've ever only been an MP and since I've gotten out been a FED. So I'm not and have never had exposure to the Infantry/Combat aspects of military work. Maybe I am talking out of my ass. Be that as it may, the mos needs a drastic overhaul. In its present state it's headed to be a collateral job at best and at worst one step above a wackenhut grocery store guard.

Just started at a Sambo school in the area. It's like muay thai, judo, and bjj all rolled into one. It's a small gym but a good environment.

They are anything but cops. My reasoning for this is due to the lack of direction the mos has in the Navy as of late. We do less and less applicable MP work and instead of having private contractors augment us it's the opposite. We are losing any identity as MPs. My theory is train them more specifically for combat and we can be utilized to augment forward deployed units. The Navy is also very unlike the USMC and Army in the fact that they are extremely tight fisted about schooling and Navy MPs are always at the bottom of the barrel. The MOS needs to diversify itself and make itself useful rather than waste away and be completely obsolete. That's quite a tangent and deviation from the thread and my apologies but it's a very serious issue in my MOS. We just aren't necessary anymore. Also, USAF and Army have far better MP programs than the Navy.
The last thing we need is the further militarization of our police force- even if its the military police.

Iraq as we once knew it is over, and Afghanistan is winding down. There is no longer a need for non-combat arms units to augment maneuver units. Its going to take a while for the military to refocus back to their real jobs, the sooner they can get around to it the better.

Tight fisted about money? What's the return on investment?

I think you hit the nail on the head with the last two.

I'll ask what style of martial arts do you study? What did you study and why did you stop?

Wrestling
Judo / Jujitsu (Japanese)
Aikido (only 6mo or so)
Defensive Handgun

Haven't stopped exactly, as much as evolved as I've gotten older. I was never much of a big guy so I always took things to the ground and grappled instead of trading punches with bigger guys. Wrestling, judo, aikido all very much grappling ground-based arts...and I thank judo for saving my life in a motorcycle accident by knowing how to fall and how to dissipate energy. But those were the old school days.

Now, the last thing I want to do is train to go to the ground. Now I want to Train to defend against multiple attackers, which means keeping your footing (at all costs) and counter-attacking in a most violent way trying to "blast by" and escape.

In an emergency you do as you're a trained...and training with a single opponent, in a "sparring" like way MAY be doing myself a disservice.

I'll ask what style of martial arts do you study? What did you study and why did you stop?

Wrestling
Judo / Jujitsu (Japanese)
Aikido (only 6mo or so)
Defensive Handgun

Haven't stopped exactly, as much as evolved as I've gotten older. I was never much of a big guy so I always took things to the ground and grappled instead of trading punches with bigger guys. Wrestling, judo, aikido all very much grappling ground-based arts...and I thank judo for saving my life in a motorcycle accident by knowing how to fall and how to dissipate energy. But those were the old school days.

Now, the last thing I want to do is train to go to the ground. Now I want to Train to defend against multiple attackers, which means keeping your footing (at all costs) and counter-attacking in a most violent way trying to "blast by" and escape.

In an emergency you do as you're a trained...and training with a single opponent, in a "sparring" like way MAY be doing myself a disservice.

Necropost....

By the way, I wouldn't describe aikido as either grappling or ground-based. At least, not in the way Judo/Jujitsu/MMA/Brazilian Jujitsu is.

Would anyone recommend taking up a martial art style before selection? I wrestled until I left for college, but other than that I have had no formal training. I am a year out and would not mind adding something else into my training regiment.

The only classes offered in this small town is BJJ and self defense.

Offering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Self Defense

Instructor

Kent Sublett

Kent is a 3 stripe brown belt under Samuel Puccio (black belt under Rodrigo Medeiros). He is an active BJJ competitor. Kent travels to Birmingham, Alabama to train with his instructor Samuel Puccio on a regular basis.

Not sure what ^^^^that means; as in if he is a credible instructor or not.

Would anyone recommend taking up a martial art style before selection? I wrestled until I left for college, but other than that I have had no formal training. I am a year out and would not mind adding something else into my training regiment.

The only classes offered in this small town is BJJ and self defense.

Offering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Self Defense

Instructor

Kent Sublett

Kent is a 3 stripe brown belt under Samuel Puccio (black belt under Rodrigo Medeiros). He is an active BJJ competitor. Kent travels to Birmingham, Alabama to train with his instructor Samuel Puccio on a regular basis.

Not sure what ^^^^that means; as in if he is a credible instructor or not.
It may be a good way to stay in shape and maintain an aggressive mindset but I'm out of my lane.
I personally wouldn't train with someone who isn't a black belt or equivalent. Not because they couldn't teach me a thing or two, but they still have growing to do as well to become more of a master. Maybe it's because I was spoiled and trained with a 3rd degree black belt in Garcie Barra BJJ who left to go be at a gym with Carlos Gracie.

Back