What Martial Arts Style(s) Do you Practice and Why?

Jesus christ... Read the last line on post #88 and do it!
I already did. That's where I got my illustrations from.
it talks about the common carotid artery left and right, then it branches. I'm not a medic but what I do know is that we apply pressure to each of the carotid arteries on each side of the neck.
Resulted in unconsciousness in about a second and a half.

I already did. That's where I got my illustrations from.
it talks about the common carotid artery left and right, then it branches. I'm not a medic but what I do know is that we apply pressure to each of the carotid arteries on each side of the neck.
Resulted in unconsciousness in about a second and a half.

Well then your google skills suck. Much worse than your anatomy knowledge. So do your comprehension skills.

No I will not respond to your PM, and I will not accept your lame "voice recognition" excuses.

Pardus, wtf man? Where am I wrong?

Per wikipedia, the left and right common carotid arteries are arteries that supply the head and neck with oxygenated blood; they divide in the neck to form the external and internal carotid arteries.

From experience we are able to form of V with the shirt collar and pull from the back and pinch off (both?) corotid arteries resulting in almost immediate blackout.

Pardus, wtf man? Where am I wrong?

Per wikipedia, the left and right common carotid arteries are arteries that supply the head and neck with oxygenated blood; they divide in the neck to form the external and internal carotid arteries.

From experience we are able to form of V with the shirt collar and pull from the back and pinch off (both?) corotid arteries resulting in almost immediate blackout.

At this point I'm not prepared to waste my time with you on this subject. I'm too tired, read a book.

@observation post - the thread stays as is. Testing your voice recognition software on this site was a mistake you have to live with.

Now to the anatomy - cervically there are 2 Carotid Arteries (the Left Common and the Right Common) which bifurcate at the Mandible/thyroid cartilage; with one branch of the Common bifurcation becoming the Internal which supplies the brain eyes and other organs; the other becoming the external which supplies the neck scalp and jaw.

So if we count - Common, internal, external =3 left and right makes us multiply by 2, giving a total number of Arteries containing the key word Carotid = 6.

Now - stop. quit arguing. quit using the voice recognition software. write your post in word proof it then copy/cut and paste into the thread after gathering your thoughts.

You are not winning friends and influencing people... especially 2 medics who happen to be Mods that were patient up to a point, which has been passed.

Thank you xSF medic. I'm back to the slow on-screen keyboard.
Man that just sucked.

So down at shirt collar level you are just pinching the left and right common carotid arteries correct? Before they bifurcate.

@observation post

Now - stop. quit arguing. quit using the voice recognition software. write your post in word proof it then copy/cut and paste into the thread after gathering your thoughts.

You are not winning friends and influencing people... especially 2 medics who happen to be Mods that were patient up to a point, which has been passed.
Copy! old dude+no glasses/small+voicex+no-edit feature = no-go!

Lesson learned. Appologies Pardus and xSF!

Last edited by a moderator:
So down at shirt collar level you are just pinching the left and right common carotid arteries correct? Before they bifurcate.

Asked and answered above. This subject is done.

ETA- I really do not want to have to merge more of your posts... collect your thoughts, put them in a post and logically order them, please.

Last edited:
ETA- I really do not want to have to merge more of your posts... collect your thoughts, put them in a post and logically order them, please.
Will do, xSF.

So how the hell do I edit a post. I knew as soon as I type artery someone was going to bust my balls about it...but I couldn't just go back in pluralize it.
Am I allowed to edit at some point, when I realize I f-u and want to immediately fix it, as happened above? Can I earn that same ETA feature somehow also?

Boxing ~2 years. I was attending a gym where the coach was an old drunk who liked to see dudes beat the crap out of each other. He looked at new joins as fresh meat for his pros. I learned very little in the art, other than how to relax in the ring and how to brawl.
Judo ~3 months. I really enjoyed Judo. At the time I didn't have the money or the time to make the commute to the gym.
MCMAP intermittently for 7 years when someone tells me I have to. I do not believe in it as a fighting form...it is possible it either strayed from what it once was, or I've been running into the wrong guys. I have yet to find a MCMAP instructor who wasn't full of Marine Corps self felating nonsense.
Muay Thai ~3.5 years. Man, I love Muay Thai. My boxing experience naturally set me up for it. My coach (called Kru) is a man I respected which is saying a lot. That's probably why I stuck with it. I try to spread it to the guys on my team as well. A good coach can make you fall in love with any sport.

I like Muay Thai as opposed to boxing because it makes you keenly aware of your opponents entire body, not just their hands. It's highly effective in a fight or flight situation, from kicks to punches to elbow and knees. Everything you learn is practical (with the exception of clinching...I don't recommend doing that on the street). It's explosive and violent, yet you can practice it in a sparring type setting without killing your opponent (provided you can turn the kill switch off...some guys can't).

I want to get into some sort of grappling. I know I'd enjoy it. More than that, it's important to be able to defend against a takedown. As far as Krav Maga, it's quite a buzz now. In my area there are no legit gyms. I've attended a few classes to see what it's all about, and it seems more like a cardiovascular kick boxing class than anything. I'm not knocking Krav Maga...I just can't find a gym that's worth a damn. I hope that answers your question, good luck! And btw...just pick something. You won't know until you try it.

Has anyone tried HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) aka. being a knight. Here is an interesting documentary on HEMA, I would not mind giving it a try at some point down the road. This might from my dad being stationed in England when I was younger and visiting all the castles across Europe, but hitting people with shiny swords seems like a good past time/martial arts.

So what say the forum on Krav Maga? I'm in pretty good condition, but now officially closer to 50 than I am 40 :-o and want to take up something that I can practice with my teenage son. I like the non-Kata aspect of it, along with the aggressiveness. From my online research it seems that Minnesota has a respected location that is just 20 minutes from where I live.

https://www.kravmagampls.com/

I live in a very small town but we have an ex MMA guy that started Tekken Martial Arts. He offers a lot of different Martial Arts but not krav maga which I lean towards. Just put up on my FB the fastest man to disarm not 1 but 2 guns. For me to feel safe I need to learn to disarm any one of any weapon.In his self defense course he does teach knife disarm so will start with that. Would prefer the disarming of guns though. I am alone too much at night and atm feel like I cant defend myself.It will come though.

Looking into an ICCS certified Krav Maga gym where I'm currently at. We'll see how it goes.

So what say the forum on Krav Maga? I'm in pretty good condition, but now officially closer to 50 than I am 40 :-o and want to take up something that I can practice with my teenage son. I like the non-Kata aspect of it, along with the aggressiveness. From my online research it seems that Minnesota has a respected location that is just 20 minutes from where I live.

https://www.kravmagampls.com/
Im a Krav mil/leo instructor- for what Krav is (a self defense system) it's awesome. I'd recommend you try it out for sure.

You too, @metalmom . I think you guys will like it, and it's valuable.

Good for you.Impressive. How many yrs did you take it before you could instruct? Watch everything I can-not the same as doing.Wish it was offered here.Believe me I know how valuable that would be.Especially for me and my concerns.

Krav Maga Minneapolis - Self Defense Classes, Krav Maga Classes, Self Defense Training

So far do you like it?

Back