What's The Best Concealed Carry Handgun?

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
In your opinion, what is the best handgun all-around for daily concealed carry? I've done some searches on this topic, and of course answers always vary, but I especially respect the opinions of members here, and would like any advice or insight- especially if you've been happy with a particular model, or dissatisfied with another.

Basic criteria is (in order of importance)

1. reliability
2. accuracy
3. concealability/size considerations
4. firepower/ ammo capacity
5. Other (whatever feature you might view as important)

If I could conceal a full size 1911, I would. Unfortunately I can't, so I carry a Bersa Thunder .380. It is very compact. I am very accurate with it. It has been very reliable at the range. I would expect it to do its job if it came down to it. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it in a real life situation.

I would like to pick up a compact hammerless .357 wheel gun in the future to carry.

Edit: What may be best for me might not be best for you... but of course I am sure you know this already. :)

I would have to go with the Glock 32 (357 Sig). It is a compact pistol, same size as the Glock 19 (9mm) and Glock 23 (40 SW). I personally have never had any problems with my 19 with the thousand rounds or so I've put through it and I'm the second owner. The 357 Sig round has a faster f/s travel than the 9mm but has a larger impact diameter than a .45. :2c:

-AbnInf

I love the slim profile of the 1911. But given your basic criteria I always find myself gravitating back to a .357 snub. I've owned 4 S&W 686, two with a 2,5" barrel, one with a 3" and one with a 4".
Much as I hate the DA pull (first shot) on my Beretta 96, I love the smooth action of the S&W revolvers.

So I'd go with a .357 snubby, especially figuring that if I were to conceal carry, I'd have to do so in urban areas where the engagement distances are shorter. No need for the hogleg.

Glock 26 is a good fit for my wife, I find my self useing it more then her. It will hold about 4-6 inch groups at 15 yards depending on ammo. Light enough to carry (homeboy style) in gym shorts, and holds 10+1. All in all about the size of my hand and even though the grip is small, I am able to maintain a good solid grip while firing rapid fire shot groups.

As for the best gun out there, who freaking knows? There are too many pistols out there that serve very good purposes and are accurate and reliable. I personaly lean towards the 1911's and Glocks, I am not a fan of the HK's, SIG's, or S&W Semi Auto pistols... I really like the SA XD (M) in 9mm but its not a conceal carry gun at all IMHO.

I liked my glock 17. Tried the 26 and the 19, but found I preferred the heavier weight of the 17 for recoil control. Odd, I know, but the larger size and weight really didn't bother me while I was carrying it,

My Glock 17, but if I have to go smaller I like my IAI .380 Back Up; I've had it for 20 years and have never had a problem with it.

I carry the Glock Model 27 in .40 Caliber. I also carry a S&W Model 442 in .38 Caliber. Depending on what I'm wearing and what type of occasion, I choose one or the other. There are some places in my cities that I'd like to carry my Benelli semi-auto 12GA shotgun or H&K 93 5.56 with a 40 rd Mag.

In your opinion, what is the best handgun all-around for daily concealed carry? I've done some searches on this topic, and of course answers always vary, but I especially respect the opinions of members here, and would like any advice or insight- especially if you've been happy with a particular model, or dissatisfied with another.

Basic criteria is (in order of importance)

1. reliability
2. accuracy
3. concealability/size considerations
4. firepower/ ammo capacity
5. Other (whatever feature you might view as important)

The handgun that you shoot the best. Everything else is secondary. I (like others) prefer the Glock 17, but I'm looking at getting a 19 or 26 for hot weather.

I have three on my permit. .380 Colt Government. This is usually a second weapon. I carry every day a Glock 36 in .45 caliber. I carry this in a left hand inside the waiste band holster in the middle of my back for a right hand draw. I have a Sig P239 in .40 and use it mostly in a suit it carries well in a shoulder holster but is a heavy weapon. My wife carries a S&W wheel gun with laser grips in .38. We put 50 rounds a month down range in each weapon and that has become an expensive chore. We both agree this is the minimum to keep some type of muscle memory.
I believe the best gun is the one you will carry. If you don't find a comfortable way to carry you will end up leaving it in the car and not have it when you need it.
Just my two cents.
Bill

Quite a number of Glock fans, so far. I'm going to look at a Glock 30 and 36 today, as a matter of fact.

Lots of Glock fans, so far. I'm going to look at a Glock 30 and 36 later today, as a matter of fact.

I would have to go with the Glock 32 (357 Sig). It is a compact pistol, same size as the Glock 19 (9mm) and Glock 23 (40 SW). I personally have never had any problems with my 19 with the thousand rounds or so I've put through it and I'm the second owner. The 357 Sig round has a faster f/s travel than the 9mm but has a larger impact diameter than a .45. :2c:

-AbnInf

The .357 Sig is a beast, no doubt:

2csbadx.jpg

125 Grain
357SIG
1350fps
502ft/lbs Glock 31 - Glock 32 - Glock 33

9MM
1100fps
336ft/lbs Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 26 - Glock 34 - Glock 17L

40S&W
1200fps
496 t/lbs Glock 22 - Glock 23 - Glock 27 - Glock 35 - Glock 24

10MM
1290fps
649ft/lbs Glock 20 - Glock 29

45ACP
900fps
412ft/lbs Glock 21 - Glock 30 - Glock 36

45GAP
950fps
401ft/lbs Glock 37 - Glock 38 - Glock 39

When I had one, I always enjoyed the .357 myself or one other I had was the Ruger .40 but the .357 Mag was my fave.

Quite a number of Glock fans, so far. I'm going to look at a Glock 30 and 36 today, as a matter of fact.

I picked up a 23 the last time I was home but haven't had the opportunity to carry it yet. The S&W M&P line and the Springfield XD/ XDM are along the same lines as a Glock; all 3 have plenty of aftermarket options though Glock has more due to time on the market an popularity.

I finger-banged the Glock and the SIG 239 and 250 and the Glock felt the best of the 3 in my hand; I didn't give the XD or M&P models a go however much to my chagrin. Not that I'm unhappy with my Glock, I just wish I'd had the foresight to see how the others felt and pointed. I know some swear by the subcompact Glocks, but they aren't comfortable to me and I can't get my head around carrying something that I'm uncomfortable with.

The main thing that attracted me to Glocks in the first place is that the trigger pull is the same from first round to the last without the long, heavy pull needed on a DOA model.

I know it is a cop-out, but I think it to be true: everyone has their own pros and cons on something like a handgun. In the end, are you comfortable with it, can you hit what you are aiming for, and is it reliable? To me as a newbie to the concealed carry world those items matter the most. I'll let someone else worry about 1911 vs. polymer, caliber, accessories, etc. I'll just take mine to the range and shoot it a bunch.

I carry the Glock Model 27 in .40 Caliber. I also carry a S&W Model 442 in .38 Caliber. Depending on what I'm wearing and what type of occasion

I have the same handguns for off-duty carry. The S&W 442 is usually used as my on-duty back up, but I occasionally carry it off-duty as well.

Voodoo,

Your ballistics have lots of variables eg: whether JHP, FMJ, EFMJ, LSWC, in addition to overall barrel length, grain and manufacturer of the same. Just sayin is all.

I carry a glock 19. Its very reliable and I'm pretty accurate with it. It conceals well in my Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB. 15rnd mag with a Glock 17 mag as my spare (17rd).

Just a very comfortable easy to shoot weapon.

Voodoo,

Your ballistics have lots of variables eg: whether JHP, FMJ, EFMJ, LSWC, in addition to overall barrel length, grain and manufacturer of the same. Just sayin is all.

Very true bro, those are not "specific" they are general....or approximate.

I carry my hk .45 tactical.. wife carries either my expert or her compact, depending on her dress.

It's whatever fits you, your physique, and that you can hit shit with from the start... it's better to have something that has a natural aim for you from the get go, it'll be easier to work with for refinement rather than having to learn to deal with something that isn't comfortable from the start.

Back