Whats up, I’m a 26 yr old commercial fisherman / commercial crabber interested in SWCC! I completed 13 seasons in the various fisheries. Seeking info.

mitchmeister

Unverified
Although I thoroughly loved my job, boat life, adventure, captains, haul gear, etc. What I experienced in my career as of late was that the Pacific Ocean from Bristol Bay Alaska all the way down to Cali is just “slow” right now. “Slow” referring to salmon run sizes, crab numbers, halibut, and squid. Cod seems be on an up. Messiest job, no thanks. I’ve been blessed to fish with some amazingly skilled captains who’s dad’s were amazing fisherman and so on. I’ve gotten to track and see AK Fish and Game, WA Fish and Wildlife, reports and the data show’s it’s just slow. I’d always try to place myself on a top boat, and typically was, that wasn’t the issue.

COVID19 hit and eliminated the live crab market the third week into the WA/OR Dungeness season. Not to mention January had the biggest average wave height on WA/OR boarders in the past decade. I think 18ft at 10-12 seconds. I watched an already risky job take a massive market punch and decided it was time to switch careers.

I’ve always had the military on my heart. The nautical experience I’ve had has made me want to go Navy. My dad was in the Navy and then Air Force combining for a service of 20 years. It’s an amazing life! I know I’m in the race, Associates Degree in Applied Sciences, physically fit, no health issues, etc. I’m doing my due diligence to find the best route to go.

I was looking into the SEALS program and I happened across SWCC. Until I found ShadowSpear from hundreds of different google searches it was hard to find a thread of insight as to what it’s like. I appreciate this website and the insight. I’ll be seeing a Navy recruiter next week⚓

Good luck with all that, but I hope you open an "ask me anything" thread and tell us how much of the Discovery Channel shows are real vs. produced! LOL

Welcome, best of success to you. Do some search on SWCC, we have quite a bit of updated info on the board.

Good luck with all that, but I hope you open an "ask me anything" thread and tell us how much of the Discovery Channel shows are real vs. produced! LOL

Welcome, best of success to you. Do some search on SWCC, we have quite a bit of updated info on the board.
Will do!

I stood behind the camera before....total BS

Back