Why do we do this? Items to consider.

For all the candidates, here is a perspective of a guy who's been a civilian for a year+ and is now going back into service.

You may not realize it now, but you are drawn to SOF because you already have the innate talents, attitude, and "energy" within you. Selection, qualification courses, and team life will give you the technical skills and hone the intangibles. Freeing the oppressed is already in your nature...you just need to learn how. This is why you shouldn't quit...it is within you. It just needs to be stoked, honed, and sharpened.

The learning never stops, the journey isn't over until you pass on from this Earth. The donning of the Tan Beret, Maroon Beret, Trident, MARSOC insignia, Green Beret is not the end, hell it isn't even the beginning. It is another step in the journey you started long ago with your decision to explore your interest in SOF.

For me, when I donned the Green Beret, I realized I was a Green Beret for life. You are called to a higher place, a higher responsibility. It is your family, it will always be your family, and you must accept who YOU truly are within that family.

Without going into detail, I left Active Duty because I was at war in two places at once. I was at war with myself for years, while training and going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Many of you may not experience war with yourself but some of you will. This is a guarantee: fighting those "two wars" simultaneously will destroy you unless you focus on one war at a time. Here is a hint: fight and win the war with yourself first because it is the harder of the two. Let that sink in.

After being gone for a year+, I finally intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually accept who I am. Why God (or whatever Higher Power you choose to believe in) put me here. I no longer live in or act out of a place of fear. I no longer ask God to leave me dead overseas (I put lives at risk by asking such a thing), rather I am thankful I am healthy enough and unencumbered enough to serve my brothers and my country. The process to return to active duty is long. I am a patient man. Army Reserve mobilizations whet my appetite for now. It was a Reserve mobilization overseas that led me back.

We want you to succeed. Go forth and kick ass.

For all the candidates, here is a perspective of a guy who's been a civilian for a year+ and is now going back into service.

You may not realize it now, but you are drawn to SOF because you already have the innate talents, attitude, and "energy" within you. Selection, qualification courses, and team life will give you the technical skills and hone the intangibles. Freeing the oppressed is already in your nature...you just need to learn how. This is why you shouldn't quit...it is within you. It just needs to be stoked, honed, and sharpened.

The learning never stops, the journey isn't over until you pass on from this Earth. The donning of the Tan Beret, Maroon Beret, Trident, MARSOC insignia, Green Beret is not the end, hell it isn't even the beginning. It is another step in the journey you started long ago with your decision to explore your interest in SOF.

For me, when I donned the Green Beret, I realized I was a Green Beret for life. You are called to a higher place, a higher responsibility. It is your family, it will always be your family, and you must accept who YOU truly are within that family.

Without going into detail, I left Active Duty because I was at war in two places at once. I was at war with myself for years, while training and going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Many of you may not experience war with yourself but some of you will. This is a guarantee: fighting those "two wars" simultaneously will destroy you unless you focus on one war at a time. Here is a hint: fight and win the war with yourself first because it is the harder of the two. Let that sink in.

After being gone for a year+, I finally intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually accept who I am. Why God (or whatever Higher Power you choose to believe in) put me here. I no longer live in or act out of a place of fear. I no longer ask God to leave me dead overseas (I put lives at risk by asking such a thing), rather I am thankful I am healthy enough and unencumbered enough to serve my brothers and my country. The process to return to active duty is long. I am a patient man. Army Reserve mobilizations whet my appetite for now. It was a Reserve mobilization overseas that led me back.

We want you to succeed. Go forth and kick ass.

Ma Deuce... all I have to say to you is; Yeungling, pockets, seared animal flesh and goodbyes that formed a family. You know how to get in touch, brother.

A few others will understand this post, most will not, don't worry if you don't.

thank you troll. I'm saving this piece to help motivate me through RASP.

I thought about editing this, using my mod powers, but thought I'd drop the mod hat and speak plainly as me, and give you a short lesson in some of the informal board nuances and accepted norms.

1. When addressing me using the familiar moniker "Troll" it is capitalized to differentiate me from internet trolls. Please respect this.

2. Those who do use the familiar moniker (if you'll look, and check a few profiles) are for the most part long time members, SOF, military, and although it does not appear in the profiles friends or chosen family. Sorry, you have 2 posts and are a complete unknown to me; there fore I find the familiarity a little off-putting. Should you care, at some future time, wish to address me using "Troll" because others have done so, please use the conventions shown by those others who have used that name.

3. We are a familiar group, but we are also a bit hierarchical, due to our military bent. This is not a high school lunch room, sometimes it can seem that way, but it's not.

4. Since it's fairly obvious that I am once again a moderator on this site, it begs the question - Would you address a teacher, or counselor at your school by a nickname used by others if you had not been invited to do so?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time or shame you, I'm trying to teach you a little something before you decide to enlist. Protocol is important in the military, it will be enforced and if it needs to be enforced, you will definitely NOT like it.

Drive on, go do teenager things.

I thought about editing this, using my mod powers, but thought I'd drop the mod hat and speak plainly as me, and give you a short lesson in some of the informal board nuances and accepted norms.

1. When addressing me using the familiar moniker "Troll" it is capitalized to differentiate me from internet trolls. Please respect this.

2. Those who do use the familiar moniker (if you'll look, and check a few profiles) are for the most part long time members, SOF, military, and although it does not appear in the profiles friends or chosen family. Sorry, you have 2 posts and are a complete unknown to me; there fore Ifind the familiarity a little off-putting. Should you care, at some future time, wish to address me using "Troll" because others have done so, please use the conventions shown by those others who have used that name.

3. We are a familiar group, but we are also a bit hierarchical, due to our military bent. This is not a high school lunch room, sometimes it can seem that way, but it's not.

4. Since it's fairly obvious that I am once again a moderator on this site, it begs the question - Would you address a teacher, or counselor at your school by a nickname used by others if you had not been invited to do so?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time or shame you, I'm trying to teach you a little something before you decide to enlist. Protocol is important in the military, it will be enforced and if it needs to be enforced, you will definitely NOT like it.

Drive on, go do teenager things.

That is a great piece of mentoring. Honestly, I wish when I was his age someone took the time with me to help me navigate some of the nuances of communication. Another good example of why this place is so great.

Thank you for bumping this. It was strong reminder, and a lesson, that I personally needed and I hope other wannabes read it as well.

Back