Zero a Rifle at 100 yds but for 300 - 600 and beyond

08steeda

I am wondering if any of the experts here know of a target that can be used to zero a weapon at 100 yds or even 50 yds but simulates longer ranges. I do not have anything longer than 100 yds near home and I have 2 rifles that I just scoped and I also put new rings and scope mounts on my M1A.

I will get to a proper range but want to get it close for the range I have.

Obviously I understand ballistics differ between different rounds. I primarily use 7.62 Match grade ammo for the M1A. But where do I aim vs. the actual bullseye at 50 or 100 yds.

I guess I could do the math on the expected trajectory, but I wondered if there is anything like that available. I don't want to waste a lot of time doing this if it is not worth the effort. But I would like to get it on the paper so I can properly adjust the scope once I do get to the longer range.

There is a 600 YD range about 1 hour from home, so that is probably as far as I will be able to shoot. Plus I don't have the skills for anything longer!

I just want to get close and fear my little ranges are so short that it won't help much! It will get me on line but elevation is the issue here.

NOTE: I did use a Cabela's Laser Bore Sight (Laser in a casing) to get it in the ball park.

Does the scope have a bullet drop compensator or target turrets? If it does, then longer distances are just be a turn away from the the zero you get at 100yds. With a few other variables...

To give to a basic idea, you can apply hold off, use a Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) radical or make adjustments to change your zero from 100yd to what ever said distance.

For example:

When zeroed at 100yd, with out making adjustments my bullet will fall 15 inches at 300yd. So I would either hold off, use a BDC radical (aim 15 inches higher) or I would make an adjustment to bring my zero 15 inches higher (come up 3MOA at 300yd). Thus bringing my POA and POI together at distance.

Like the program in the link I posted, most of the mathematics are readily available. This eliminates having to keep data books and what not and simply makes LR shooting a lot easier now days. However, I would always keep data books and confirm your hold off/ come ups at actual distance…

You need to establish the dope for your particular gun, as well as the ballistical aspects of the round you're using.

For example, @ 75 degrees F. and 600 ft., with no wind, my 168 gr. .308, with my scope, comes up 2 at 200, 5 at 300, 8 at 400, 11 at 500 and so on up to 1000 yards with a zero at 100 yards.

Once again, this is a good tool to get acquainted with the system:

http://www.shooterready.com/

Thanks Guys! I guess it is time I bought a chronograph and some Shooting Ballistics tables.

I will also look at the links your provided!

For my M1A I shoot .308 Win Match 168 gr. Although I do have a variety. I use a Springfield Scope (6 - 20X50) that does have a Bullet Drop Compensator on it! So that one is a no brainer - even for me!

For my Remington 700 in 7mm it is brand new and the scope I had is a decent Leupold but without the compensator.

The Remington 700 in .22-250 is also has a Leupold scope without the compensator.

My Bushy and my COLT AR's have Leupold Mark 4 CQT's on it. Plus I shoot a wide variety of ammo there!!!

As I have said before in other posts, I am just getting into it again after about 12 years. I forgot a lot and did all close-in shooting with iron sights. Never did the whole scope thing much, until now. IPSC - 3 gun shoots are all within 200 yds and in most cases 100 yds which is where i spent all of my time shooting during my NG days.

I just thought maybe there were paper targets setup for this. But again, that would be just stupid because each type of round has different ballistics!

I was just looking for a short-cut! I know, in the light of day - S-T-U-P-I-D!!!

Thanks Guys! I guess it is time I bought a chronograph and some Shooting Ballistics tables.

I will also look at the links your provided!

For my M1A I shoot .308 Win Match 168 gr. Although I do have a variety.

Black Hills is pretty consistent.

Wanna cut your group in half............ reload.

Chrony is a must have. There is some good ballistic software. Sierra makes one. Also on a M1A1 you can turn the gas off and make it a manual operated.

Reloading is to shooting as fore play is to getting laid........

No wonder there are all these cherry boyz out there. :)

Wanna cut your group in half............ reload.

Chrony is a must have. There is some good ballistic software. Sierra makes one. Also on a M1A1 you can turn the gas off and make it a manual operated.

Reloading is to shooting as fore play is to getting laid........

No wonder there are all these cherry boyz out there. :)

You volunteering to teach me how to reload? Yes I know the mantra well. Just have not taken the leap yet!!!

FYI- what is the advantage to making it manual. I assume that it becomes more accurate because of the lack of action in the receiver!

You volunteering to teach me how to reload? Yes I know the mantra well. Just have not taken the leap yet!!!

FYI- what is the advantage to making it manual. I assume that it becomes more accurate because of the lack of action in the receiver!

AZ Started a reloading thread or if your in Orygun, cruise on by. It is probably a lot easier than you think. Precision reloading only takes a little more time than plinking.

Supposedly it should be more accurate. I never turned my off. If I want more accuracy at range I have:

WinRem.jpg

And a few others.

The pressure of the gas released makes the chamber pressure variable.

That's why bolt guns have been used in the sub-MOA bolt guns for many years.

Variations in amount of pressure available beyond the gas port
movement in the action due to the action cycling

basically a bolt gun takes all the variables out that are easiest to remove beyond operator error.

I have always known about how accurate bolt guns can be. Didn't realize that the gas pressure varies so much! Makes sense though!

I wonder if you could make a switch or gizmo that would turn the M1A gas system off then be able to turn it back on again, quickly and easily!

The actual reason for the gas shut off on the M1A, is for a crimp cartridge. I Guess to use the never seen rifle grenade launcher or ......

Ding-Ding-Ding!

That is why the M14 has the shut off, but it will give you a better shot group as well...

Boltgun:rolleyes: That is sooooooooo 2 thousand and 8 !:p

Back