158 Gr .38 Sp. +P SWCHP Buffalo Bore Ammo

I still wouldn't want to get shot with even those 110gr Hornadys though...especially at ranges that I would use the snubby. Of course, I wouldn't be shooting through a heavy jacket here in Arizona (typically)...but more likely a t-shirt, or maybe a hoody.

Dusty,

Good choice. The 158 gr. SWCHP has a long-standing rep as a good load for the .38 platform. I can think of several LE organizations that used that load for years to good effect.

These are gas checked, too. Verges on .357 Rem mag performance, supposedly.

I'll let you know how they do in a while.

I love my Smitty M10 with the 4" barrel.

hdr_firearms_lerev.jpg

It is my go-to gun for HD...the easy kick facilitates target reacquistion and it's got sufficient killing power.

I recommend .38's to those who ask my opinion because I think a firearm that can be wielded one-handed leaves another hand free for comm, which is the other essential element of home defense; not to mention allows one to fire from cover, i.e. around a corner without unnecessary exposure.

I love my Smitty M10 with the 4" barrel.

hdr_firearms_lerev.jpg

It is my go-to gun for HD...the easy kick facilitates target reacquistion and it's got sufficient killing power.

I recommend .38's to those who ask my opinion because I think a firearm that can be wielded one-handed leaves another hand free for comm, which is the other essential element of home defense; not to mention allows one to fire from cover, i.e. around a corner without unnecessary exposure.

I really like shooting 38 sp (appoximate the same as 9mm). I would recommend over a 38 sp, is a .357 Mag. There are number of reasons. Wider choice of rounds to shoot, beefer frame, etc.

You also mention shooting with one hand, it is good to know. Also shooting one handed off hand is another.

I like M10's. Then again, I like most Smith wheel guns and their newer autos.

That does make me wonder if they market a 180grain or even 200grain ammo for the .38? I see it for the .357...but nothing for the .38 (that I can find with a quick search).
Anyone ever see any factory .38 (+P) in 180gr or 200gr Hollowpoints?

That does make me wonder if they market a 180grain or even 200grain ammo for the .38? I see it for the .357...but nothing for the .38 (that I can find with a quick search).
Anyone ever see any factory .38 (+P) in 180gr or 200gr Hollowpoints?

Any bullet for a .357 will work on the .38 sp. Both are .357 diameter. The difference is loads. The .357 was designed with a longer case so it would not be accidentally loaded into a .38 sp. Some of the .38 Sp pistol, are pretty light framed, especially some of the really old ones. Another reason to becareful with +Ps loads. One could load a 38 sp with .357 data.. Depending on the pistol one could loose a few fingers to the load working.

I gather you don't reload. I would suggest looking into reloading data. I fyou have sufficient skills and equipment, you could work up a load.

They use to load 38 S&W with a 200 gr. bullet. 200-380 (British nomenclature, if I got the numbers right)

Yup! I know it might be a bitch in the little snubby "airweight", but I'd like to try some 200gr. JHP's in it...just to compare. P. Beck got me thinking about the .38 compared to the .45.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the .45 is a slower (900fps typical) round with a heavy (200-230gr typical)bullet, and it does quite good from what I hear! Why not use the same logic on my snubby...and go to a 200gr. Hollowpoint. I'll have to check the Buffalo Bore site next.

Here's the Data on the Buffalo Bores (DO look like good stuff):

The new Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 SPL+p ammo will maximize the effectiveness of your 38 SPL revolver. The powders are flash suppressed so as to not hinder your vision should you be required to drop the hammer in low light.

Item 20A: 158gr., very soft cast, semi wad cutter, (Keith) hollow cavity, with a gas check. This bullet will mushroom violently on impact and will penetrate roughly 14 inches in human flesh. Again, this bullet is gas checked and will not lead your barrel.

Item 20A/20 is the terrific SOFT lead semi wad cutter hollow cavity bullet, however we've added a gas check to stop the leading that this load typically causes with other manufacturers version of this bullet.

Check out the below velocities that I fired from my personal revolvers. We believe that real world, stock, “over the counter” guns, give real world results, so we don’t advertise velocities that are fired from long test barrels.

These 38SPL+P loads are generating low-end 357 magnum, ballistics. If you have an older or more fragile 38SPL, or if you are recoil sensitive, consider using our HVY Standard Pressure 38SPL ammunition. It is safe to be fired in any 38SPL revolver and it still packs much more punch than ordinary 38SPL ammo.

a. S&W mod 60, 2 inch—1072 fps (319 ft. lbs.)

b. S&W mod 66, 2.5 inch—1108 fps (341 ft. lbs.)
c. Ruger SP101, 3 inch—1180 fps (386 ft. lbs.)
d. S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch—1258 fps (439 ft. lbs.)

Faster is not always better, same as slower is not always worse. Bullets are design to do and not do things. When I hunt, I carry a side arm, 44 Mag. I load the cylinder alternating chambers with penetrating rounds and soft tissue rounds.

Why.. we have two legged pests, we have cougar, we have bear, and the coup de grace if necessary.

Yeah, I'm not finding anything.
But those 158 Buffalos do look great!
I think it's time to start searching for a source here in the PHX!
I'm sold.:)

Check out these numbers:
S&W mod 60, 2 inch1072 fps (319 ft. lbs.)
That's GOOD stuff from a snubby!!
:eek:

Both 38 and 9 have that sweet kick, although BITD I wore that crossed-pistol badge for the 1911. Once I discovered the Zen of it, it was my weapon.

One reason I keep the 38 wheel gun for HD--and not .357-- is because both my younger boys, 15 & 12, got scary-good with it from day one. It ain't complicated, it's a sweet shooter and it'll kill. I like .357s and carried a Ruger Speed Six for many years as my personal weapon, but it's like shooting Atomic bullets.

"...I think a firearm that can be wielded one-handed..."

Absolutely. That's why it's called a "handgun" and not a "handsgun".
Nobody goes to a gunfight armed with only a handgun on purpose. If you find me in such circumstances, you may assume that something has gone terribly wrong.

Practice one-hand technique regularly. Ok, good. Now do it with your other hand.

I know a number of people who use heavy-loaded, subsonic, .38 Special rounds in .357 frames. On purpose. They tend to be older gentlemen. Be careful of such men. They might know what they are doing and many of them display a distinct lack of tolerance for fools.

On the subject of heavy pistol bullets, I seem to remember a game warden a while back that habitually carried 300 grain SWC in his .45 1911. Loaded to only about 700 fps. Claimed they were good medicine for black bear. On bright days, with the sun behind you, you could watch those big black pills practically waddle downrange into the tan backstop. Hell for penetration though. All that momentum.

Proper one-handed use of a .38. FF to about 4:30 to skip the bullshit:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIvg-pnjjmM&feature=related"]YouTube - Stairway Shootout[/ame]

Two S&W M 10s

00SWM10.jpg
Yep-yep my S&W model 10 looks like the top one, but with a rubber grip like the bottom one. WTF is that on the trigger of the top one?

I know a number of people who use heavy-loaded, subsonic, .38 Special rounds in .357 frames. On purpose. They tend to be older gentlemen. Be careful of such men. They might know what they are doing and many of them display a distinct lack of tolerance for fools.

I did not know that you knew my grandfather and his barber :D My dad and me always give them shit for their “Saturday night specials”! But of course not too much shit ;)

Back