160th Flight Lead reveals bin Laden mission details for the first time

AWP

SOF Support
A long but fascinating read, posted because I figured it wouldn't see a lot of coverage these days.

Exclusive: Legendary special operations aviator reveals bin Laden mission details for the first time

“They’re walking out. And, I’m like, ‘Hey, good luck guys. See you when you get back.’ And they say, ‘Just give us gas, bitches,'” Englen laughed, realizing they had a small chip on their shoulder.

That was the famous last quote of the pilot that crashed that helicopter.

That should be a meme in the 160th offices.

My favorite, probably most shocking bit:

Meanwhile, Englen’s lone Chinook on its way back was engaged three times by a Pakistani F-16. Because he’d anticipated and planned for that, he was able to defeat and evade the fighter jet.

“It was as an electronic fight. A missile never left the rail. So I was able to evade him electronically. That’s all I’ll say. But, he was searching and hunting for me, and three times came very close to actually launching a missile,” Englen said.

Ballz. Big, big, ballz.

Didn't this guy just say a month ago that he wouldn't reveal anything else?

I said it then and I'll say it now, I'm waiting for his book release.

I don't neccesarily mind a guy/gal writing a book after they retire, especially someone who seems to have "been there" for a large number of historic SOF events.
If he does his due diligence and gets it cleared with the appropriate channels as opposed to rushing it out himself (a la Bissonnette), I have no issue with it.

The only thing I don't like about the story is the blurb at the end about how he's now running for office in Tennessee.
Kinda sours me on the whole purpose of the story and makes it seem like a campaign ad, but that's a personal thing.

Back