30 Day Paleo Challenge

MilkTruckCoPilot

SOT-A & fries
SOF Support
SSMP
Who's in? I'm starting tomorrow. 30 days of no grains, legumes, dairy and for me I'm eliminating starches such as squash and sweet potatoes due to some AI symptoms.

Let's rock.

Heh, I think some of us are already working on the 365+ day Paleo challenge.

I've done a few 30 day challenges in the past year (100% strict), the rest of the time I'm probably at about 90% six days a week with a cheat day once a week. It's pretty cool to see the results after 30 days, I always enjoy doing them. My recommendation though, would be to not completely cut out the sweet potatoes, as they will be one of your primary sources of carbs for workouts.

I've done a few 30 day challenges in the past year (100% strict), the rest of the time I'm probably at about 90% six days a week with a cheat day once a week. It's pretty cool to see the results after 30 days, I always enjoy doing them. My recommendation though, would be to not completely cut out the sweet potatoes, as they will be one of your primary sources of carbs for workouts.

I agree when one is doing something more then simply weightlifting and fasted cardio for fat loss eg walking ect. If someone is training in a way that they are using glucose as their primary fuel source then by all means you need to refuel with glucose. By this I'm referring to metcons, sprints, ect. One could then go cyclic low carb if they chose to do so.

My reason for cutting out sweet potatoes is I have autoimmune issues that I am dealing with plus my workouts over the next month won't require the need for glycogen repletion. I've done ketogenic diets in the past, not solely for autoimmune issues but for aesthetic purposes and always respond well. Generally I don't see a need to begin the replenishment of glucose till one starts reaching that 7-8%, then refeeds need to come into play to begin reaching those lower numbers of bodyfat. I have always had to do this when reaching the 6-7% range.

For anyone reading the above, I'm simply speaking about nutrition for aesthetic purposes and not for high intensity workout such as Crossfit.

Let me do the research--I'm not very familiar with the Paleo Diet--and I'll probably join in a day late.

It focuses on food quality. Meat, fish, fowl, veggies, nuts, seeds, roots and tubers....fruit in moderation. No grains, legumes, dairy is a grey area for people but eliminate it for 30 days and then reintroduce and see how you feel.

You know your body better than I do, I am just a sissy that is scared of ketosis! My mom did the Atkins diet when I was in middle school, and had a very bad experience - ever since then I have been terrified of it. I have read quite a few articles on using ketosis as a tool though, and for someone who understands it and its proper implementation (as you obviously do), it seems like it can be pretty useful.

dairy is a grey area

Eliminating dairy is what caused the most drastic results for me and my wife. It's to the point that if I have dairy now, I am miserable for at least 24 hours after. Almond milk is a great substitute for dairy milk. I was never a huge milk drinker before, but my wife uses the almond milk in her coffee and I use it for my whey shake after working out.

Eliminating dairy is what caused the most drastic results for me and my wife. It's to the point that if I have dairy now, I am miserable for at least 24 hours after. Almond milk is a great substitute for dairy milk. I was never a huge milk drinker before, but my wife uses the almond milk in her coffee and I use it for my whey shake after working out.

I like coconut milk but rarely drink it. I tolerate whey but whole milk causes weird symptoms ranging from mucus, runny nose, headaches.

You know your body better than I do, I am just a sissy that is scared of ketosis! My mom did the Atkins diet when I was in middle school, and had a very bad experience - ever since then I have been terrified of it. I have read quite a few articles on using ketosis as a tool though, and for someone who understands it and its proper implementation (as you obviously do), it seems like it can be pretty useful.

One needs to ease into this. For myself, becoming fat adapted (using body fat as a primary fuel source instead of sugar) has been very beneficial. I notice I am never having hunger pangs, my energy level runs on an even keel and I can go for long periods of time without having the need for a meal because my body has become efficient at utilizing it's own body fat for fuel. All of these benefits have been tested in the field as well.

Im going keto to win a bet with my recruiter. 14lbs in 14 days. Most of its obviously gonna be water manipulation at the end but I've done it several times. Ketos rough for the first few days while your body switches over (hard to focus, foggy memory, no energy) but once your body transitions you feel great. Coffee also helps through the first few days as well as beginning the diet doing HIIT for the first days (depletes the glycogen stores early on causing your body to look for another source.) I usually go a little high on my protein intake but always check every morning with ketostix to make sure im still in. I used to do cyclical keto and felt it just set you back in what you were doing.

Initial weight lose is fast and kinda sucks. Make you look smaller and feel a bit weaker because you aren't able to use the glycogen your body had stored. Coffee helps. Best thing I found is a cup of coffee with a tbsp of coconut oil (no cream or sugar).

Im not very familiar with paleo. Ill look more into it.

I suppose this is the end of the first week, who's still with me?

I am, doing alright. I am taking multi-vitamin because I don't eat enough vegetables. I also eat/drink dairy. I added in the dairy because I did around a 3 month strict paleo without dairy and didn't really feel any better, just missed milk. Sometimes the DFAC sucks for food though. I have started going to Womack DFAC because they have grilled chicken everyday.

Back