.300Win Mag -

Chad

U.S. Optics
Verified Sniper
I had T. Ryder aka 'Sprout' out of Tacoma, Wa build me another rifle:

.300Win Mag on Remington action, w/ 24" SS Krieger, Manners stock, SN-3 3.2-17x moa reticle/turret

300WM-vi.jpg

300WMcal-vi.jpg

300WMTP-vi.jpg

I shot about 50rds yesterday with HSM, BH and CorBon. Mostly five shot groups and some three, left the zero for the HSM 220SMK. Fifty rounds was a bit much and me anticipating recoil was becoming an issue. Based on that I felt 20rds was a more practical limit.

Today I just shot two 10rd groups at 200yds.
HSM 220gr SMK
HSM220a1-vi.jpg

Cor Bon 190gr BTHP
CB190a1-vi.jpg

The rifle does not seem to shoot the HSM ammunition w/ 220gr bullets as well as the Corbon w/ 190gr. I have plenty of the HSM on hand and it will be interesting to see if/how much the group tightens up as I get more experience shooting the magnum.

Very nice rifle Chad.
Question, why did you opt for the .300 WM and not .338 Lapua for example?

Sweet rifle. After three years, I'm still having a hard time getting used to the .300WM recoil.

Have a competent gunsmith look at the rifle. There are some really good recoil pads out there. If you have one, (gonna stick my neck out).. have someone who is a really good shooter watch you shoot. I had a Austrian .300 WM and it was enjoyable to shoot compared to a 03 Springfield that I had. If you are shooting prone that could be part of the problem.

Have a competent gunsmith look at the rifle. There are some really good recoil pads out there. If you have one, (gonna stick my neck out).. have someone who is a really good shooter watch you shoot. I had a Austrian .300 WM and it was enjoyable to shoot compared to a 03 Springfield that I had. If you are shooting prone that could be part of the problem.
It's an it's a model 70 from the mid 60's with nothing but glass on it. It could use a lot of new things on it. I've stopped hunting with it since I got my Remington 700 in .308. I save more meat anyway.

It's an it's a model 70 from the mid 60's with nothing but glass on it. It could use a lot of new things on it. I've stopped hunting with it since I got my Remington 700 in .308. I save more meat anyway.

I have a Mod 70 in .338 Win Mag, my elk killer. The recoil pad that came with it, was like it was a lug off of a old John Deere Tractor wheel. It was painful. Change that, bedded it, and it was GTG. I could hit milk jugs at 600 M with it and 225 Grain bullet. Retained energy at 600 M was about 2000 ft lbs.

Yeah I will never get behind a 300WM that has a wood or laminate stock again, that shit hurts. I really like the way the AICS stock dilivers the 300WM recoil but thats not really a hunting stock. lol

Nice bang stick Chad!

Question, why did you opt for the .300 WM and not .338 Lapua for example?
I do have a .338L being built by a different gunsmith. The .300wm was more of a priority as I already have around 1k rds of ammunition for it.

I went out this morning and shot 15rds, three five shot groups. Conditions were great, not like yesterday, I was tempted to shoot more but stuck with the game plan of 'less is better' with the .300wm. From the bench, pack, rear bag, 100yds:

300WM016_cr-vi.jpg

Top was the HSM 220, then HSM 210 Berger and the CorBon 190gr was third:
300WMtgt-vi.jpg

*above(4th target) was 10rds of Hornady 178 Super Performance Match through a Rem PSS .308

HSM 220
300WMhsm220-vi.jpg

HSM 210 Berger
300WMhsm210B-vi.jpg

Cor-Bon 190
300WMcb190-vi.jpg

The HSM 220 continues to hover in that 1.25-1.5 moa range, it is worth mentioning that it also is going out of a clean barrel; in that group the two higher shots were the first two. I don't think the clean barrel is the reason for the poor group but it is something I will track.

That was the first group I shot with the HSM 210 Berger.

The Cor-Bon 190 continues to provide the best groups.

Back