Not Work Safe .

Imagine my shock when as an EM I was given pretty much everything, then my first paycheck as an officer seeing a grand deducted for all of the officer uniforms I had to buy (some of which I never wore). Ebay became my friend.

At least my unit hooked me up with 4 sets of BDU's, turning those in the weekend before I commissioned.

At least my unit hooked me up with 4 sets of BDU's, turning those in the weekend before I commissioned.

Right before I commissioned I was issued, as an EM, 3 sets of woodland MARPAT and 3 sets of desert MARPAT and all of the associated stuff. I asked S4 if they wanted them back, they were like "nah, as of today you rate them, so take them."

Imagine my relief when I was assigned to med battalion years later and needed MARPAT, but now have to but them myself.

The khakis and service whites weren't horrible, but the choker whites and service dress blues, GTFOH. At least the SDBs I wore a bit, but the choker dress whites? Maybe twice.

When I first got commissioned I was able to wear a lot of my Dad's old uniforms, to include his dress greens. I got hemmed up by an NCO in OBC because the material and the cut of the greens was no longer in regs (he was right--but I couldn't tell the difference). I used those same greens at my unit (101st) with no one ever saying anything about them. Just that one eagle-eyed NCO at OBC...

When I first got commissioned I was able to wear a lot of my Dad's old uniforms, to include his dress greens. I got hemmed up by an NCO in OBC because the material and the cut of the greens was no longer in regs (he was right--but I couldn't tell the difference). I used those same greens at my unit (101st) with no one ever saying anything about them. Just that one eagle-eyed NCO at OBC...

"Sir, your uniform is more fucked up than a football bat...." said to me by a Chief at MY officers school, when I wore pants of one fabric, and a shirt of another, in which each color was slightly different. It looked like something out of WW2. He called me Admiral Nimitz after that. But my uniforms were squared away!

It was something like one item was poly/wool and the other was all cotton. I was much more discernable on eBay after that.

Back