35L Information

@GOTWA
Hey, a few short questions if you don't mind. Currently, I hold a bachelor cyber security degree, and I got into the work force and hated it, I got a degree thinking money would solely make me happy and I was wrong.

1. Is this anything like an agent or is this a majority of desk work? Ignoring the romanticization of intel, I'm not clawing to do James Bond stuff, but if I only do a 4 year contract enlisting straight into 35L will a majority of my time be spent behind a desk? I enjoy hands on activity infinitely more than I do staring at a computer screen.

2. Does this job translate well into civilian side? I ask this in relevance hoping to work for the CIA, FBI or DEA, however, my friend currently in the army told me I'd be better off trying to go to Ranger Batt if I wanted to work there.

3. I saw online and through google, reddit and rallypoint(?) that this job is a glorified Mall Cop and looked down on by most of the army as no different than an MP. Is this the case? Not trying to sound like I have a problem with those or that I want to be respected/have a crazy amount of power. I was just wondering if this is the same as any other Federal LEO job there is or if its a LEO Lite or something like that.

Thanks in advance, I have talked to a recruiter and have taken the ASVAB, it's really just about picking a contract now and I don't know shit about this subject so I was hoping to get some advice.

Hopefully GOTWA can give you some up to date info, but here is my 2 cents from being a 35L.

1. Like anything else, it depends on what unit you go to, different jobs if you are assigned to a tactical intel unit or assigned to a 902nd detachment. At the end of a four year enlistment you only start knowing your MOS. But, an enlistment/Honorable discharge with an TS/SCI is always good for later employment.
2. This translates directly to the Army's civilian CI Agents....take a look at INSCOM - U.S. Army Intelligence & Security Command, but I have meet several FBI and USSS SA's who were once enlisted Army CI Agents. To include one buddy who was reserve CI with several OEF deployments, and is now a civilian Army CI Agent, he enjoys it immensely. He is in Cyber but his next assignment will be on a FBI JTTF.
3. Don't believe everything you see online. The job is only as good as you make it.

There are great opportunities for this MOS in both training and assignments, as well as warrant officer path.

Last edited:
@GOTWA
Hey, a few short questions if you don't mind. Currently, I hold a bachelor cyber security degree, and I got into the work force and hated it, I got a degree thinking money would solely make me happy and I was wrong.

1. Is this anything like an agent or is this a majority of desk work? Ignoring the romanticization of intel, I'm not clawing to do James Bond stuff, but if I only do a 4 year contract enlisting straight into 35L will a majority of my time be spent behind a desk? I enjoy hands on activity infinitely more than I do staring at a computer screen. CI Cyber is more than just sitting in front of a computer screen. Once certified, you would participate in the collection of those materials as well. I believe there was 40 CI cyber (J5) qualified Agents on Active? Whatever the number, it's relatively small. It's such an important item that INSCOM is willing to throw money at it, knowing those individuals will leave for the private sector after the required rotation. The LTC/MICECP in charge came and briefed us and they're looking at options to keep the talent, including incentives that would nearly meet the salary equivalent of their civilian counterparts.

2. Does this job translate well into civilian side? I ask this in relevance hoping to work for the CIA, FBI or DEA, however, my friend currently in the army told me I'd be better off trying to go to Ranger Batt if I wanted to work there. Short answer, it depends. Get use to hearing that phrase. Nothing is really black and white in this world. CIA will always be another animal. While you'll learn the game, it won't prepare you for that level of work. Now, if you learn what you need to learn and put your time in, the other opportunities to move on to the varsity teams will come. SOF experience will always place higher.

3. I saw online and through google, reddit and rallypoint(?) that this job is a glorified Mall Cop and looked down on by most of the army as no different than an MP. Is this the case? Not trying to sound like I have a problem with those or that I want to be respected/have a crazy amount of power. I was just wondering if this is the same as any other Federal LEO job there is or if its a LEO Lite or something like that. I would say there's truth to that when you bring in OSI and NCIS because we don't have FLETC...for now. Take into the fact we lose a lot of shit to the FBI because they hold the home fort down. The tables turn when it comes to the Intel side of things and you move away from Crim. NCIS and OSI are definitely lacking in those realms. We're brought up to think Intel. They're brought up to think Crim. Two different ways of doing business. At least in my opinion.

Thanks in advance, I have talked to a recruiter and have taken the ASVAB, it's really just about picking a contract now and I don't know shit about this subject so I was hoping to get some advice. I love what I do because of the opportunities I have in front of me. At the same time, I also appreciate having a solid foundation that was built in the Infantry. We just opened up 35L to all enlisted ranks and I'm not quite sold on it. With that, changes are coming in the next several years that are going to benefit us greatly and I'm excited to see where those changes take us.

Can't really help you with that one. I would think there is an assessment to get into 19th. @Kraut783 might be able to better serve you. I would start by calling the specific unit you're looking to support. I believe 19th Intel support is all headquartered out of Utah? I'll have some answers for you in a year when I put in for 19th or SOD.

Can't really help you with that one. I would think there is an assessment to get into 19th. @Kraut783 might be able to better serve you. I would start by calling the specific unit you're looking to support. I believe 19th Intel support is all headquartered out of Utah? I'll have some answers for you in a year when I put in for 19th or SOD.

No doubt. I have their information and am starting the process but wanted to get some
Info from someone not trying to recruit for a billet lol.

John, reach out to the 19th intel support unit and see what they want out of a 35L, they might be short and will take a new 35L, they might want you to have some time in the MOS....don't go into it just for SOF. There are a lot of 35L gigs that are great and not SOF, even in the NG/USAR.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input I’m trying to decide if I want to go 35 P, M or L. I’m leaving the guard sniper school house and just looking for something new and challenging. All three sound like good gigs.

Thanks for your input I’m trying to decide if I want to go 35 P, M or L. I’m leaving the guard sniper school house and just looking for something new and challenging. All three sound like good gigs.

Do you speak another language? If not, have taken a DLAB?

Any 35-series job will expose you to the completely different world of MI. Foreign language proficiency will open additional doors. Just keep in mind the clearance requirements for Reserves is the same as AD, which are the same as in the intel community.

If you like 11B stuff, intel, foreign languages, and communications technology then you’ll love being a 35P in Group, Regiment, or other units. The majority of 35Ps enjoy working inside an office which is they are undermanned in SOF.

Any 35-series job will expose you to the completely different world of MI. Foreign language proficiency will open additional doors. Just keep in mind the clearance requirements for Reserves is the same as AD, which are the same as in the intel community.

If you like 11B stuff, intel, foreign languages, and communications technology then you’ll love being a 35P in Group, Regiment, or other units. The majority of 35Ps enjoy working inside an office which is they are undermanned in SOF.

Thank you for your reply. That is what I gathered from reading the threads and seems like the best route.

Back