Adult Beverage Mega Thread: Scotch/Whiskey/Rum/Vodka/Etc

You may be responsible for getting me to drink these. I've ordered up a couple old fashioned the past month or two.

I just had a terrific one in Vegas a couple weeks ago at a place on the strip called Alexxa's in the Paris hotel. They called it a "Salted Maple Old Fashioned"... "chai infused rye whiskey, salted maple syrup chocolate bitters, maple salted rim". It also had some sort of fresh smoked/burnt cinnamon stick (I don't know what it was exactly) or something sitting on the cube. Damn if that drink didn't about ruin me.

You may be responsible for getting me to drink these. I've ordered up a couple old fashioned the past month or two.

I just had a terrific one in Vegas a couple weeks ago at a place on the strip called Alexxa's in the Paris hotel. They called it a "Salted Maple Old Fashioned"... "chai infused rye whiskey, salted maple syrup chocolate bitters, maple salted rim". It also had some sort of fresh smoked/burnt cinnamon stick (I don't know what it was exactly) or something sitting on the cube. Damn if that drink didn't about ruin me.

I don't like anything Chai, but everything else sounds great and probably negated the Chai enough to be a really good drink.

Boston Legal! Really enjoyed that show.
Good catch! I love these glasses, my kids/fiance know not to touch, wash, look at them; if they break, I better have been the one to do it.. My mom got a set for my step-dad years ago and I kept them after he died. When I’d make it home for a visit, he’d have the glasses sitting out and he and I would sit out on the deck that evening with a cigar and scotch, having our “Boston Legal” time. I really miss that. And him.

Damn you @Ooh-Rah. I've now gone and purchased a cocktail smoker and I'm playing around with old fashioned recipes. It may be Spring, but I'm working on a good smoked maple old fashioned...although I'm not doing the orange peel.

I've got a little ways to go before I get it to where I want it to be. But, I'm enjoying the "process". ;)

My drink smoker arrived today. Gave it a test drive. Definitely, will need to experiment with this a bit...nothing like dropping in as many variables as possible all at once -- I don’t even have a regular old fashioned dialed in yet. 🤣

20240411_215929.jpg

20240411_222101.jpg

So...this whole smoked whiskey thing, is it hype or does it matter? It seems like a fad we'll laugh at in 6 months. Kind of like those toe running shoes bullshit we saw a few years ago.
Probably a fad. It's more of a taste thing. It may be ghey. No idea, but I like it. 🙂 Smokey seems to be more a fall/winter thing as well, but what do I know.... I didn't even drink old fashioneds until a few months ago. But "fuck it, let's jump both feet in" seems to be motto, so there you go. 🤷‍♂️

I want to try it, but. I like my brown booze neat, no ice, no water, no nothing. Every time someone tells me to try it 'their' way and I do I just don't care for it. But it does look compelling.

So...this whole smoked whiskey thing, is it hype or does it matter? It seems like a fad we'll laugh at in 6 months. Kind of like those toe running shoes bullshit we saw a few years ago.

Honestly, smoked cocktails is a thing. I enjoy a good smoke old fashioned from time to time. Smoking pours or pours over ice? No thanks, why would you do that when you can get a smoked malt whiskey?

For those that don't know you generally have two types of single malt (read Scotch, Japanese, Irish, and even American). The malt is smoked, Scotch is smoked with peat. Generally you have a lot of Islay's that are peated, think Ardbegh. Then you have non-peated Scotches that are still smoky because they're run through the same still as the peated malt so it just picks up stuff.

In the US, for American Single Malts people are smoking things with peat, mesquite, applewood, and a bunch of other stuff. I need to drink some of my mesquite malt stuff more as we have a great distillery in AZ that makes a lovely whiskey called Dorado. This isn't even a straight whiskey, "aged at least two years". If it's aged under 4 it requires an age statement. Roughly the average age of a batch is 18 months...you wouldn't be able to tell me it's that young so their ageing process is amazing.

There's a small distillery in Texas that does a oak, Mesquite, and Applewood smoked malt called Stryker, love that one too.

But smoking just the whiskey after I've poured it? No thanks.

Back