Adult Beverage Mega Thread: Scotch/Whiskey/Rum/Vodka/Etc

So there I was on the mountain, post ski, sipping some Smooth Ambler Old Scout and my sister in law said she liked vodka or tequila. Specially vodka because it has no flavor. And so I went into how Tequila as a blanco is meant to have tons of flavors. And then you get to Reposado and Anejos with barrel impact changing the spirit to create something tasty when sipped neat. She likes vodka for the cocktails I guess.

But dear friends...we can make great cocktails with bourbon and aged rums. Neutral spirits are for hand sanitizer!

Beautiful. Legit question: how often do you partake, and how long will it take you to finish a bottle? I can't seem to hold onto a bottle longer than a couple weeks; thus, I don't have a collection.
Fair question, Doc.

Bakers is kind of my regular sipper and I’ll use for Old Fashions sometimes as I think you need a higher alcohol content to break though the sugar and bitters.

The others I sip at or save for special occasions. That 18 year Jura in the top left is one of the smoothest scotches I’ve ever hard.

Fair question, Doc.

Bakers is kind of my regular sipper and I’ll use for Old Fashions sometimes as I think you need a higher alcohol content to break though the sugar and bitters.

The others I sip at or save for special occasions. That 18 year Jura in the top left is one of the smoothest scotches I’ve ever hard.

The longest I kept hold of a bottle was Hooten Young, maybe....a month? My go to, because I like it and it's cheap, I kill in about a week's time.

The longest I kept hold of a bottle was Hooten Young, maybe....a month? My go to, because I like it and it's cheap, I kill in about a week's time.
I usually kill a fifth in about 2 weeks, but I don't collect. I go out to get a bottle with the intention of having it around if and when Whiskey 6 and I feel like having a couple (She doesn't drink bourbon). I still drink Jim Beam and coke as a go to, so the lower alcohol content doesn't stick around as long my Maker's.

Random observation-

I enjoy bourbon neat, but many scotches are just too ‘mediciney’ for me without a cigar. A few minutes into a cigar any my palate changes enough to absolutely appreciate a good scotch.

The 3 noticeable exceptions to this for me are the Isle of Jura 18, Balvene 12, and the Dalmore Cigar Malt.

Back