Afghan Commandos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo no beer with the Afghanis I gues.
I've had beers with Afghans. I shared a few beers with a mujahideen general who later became briefly a Taliban representative in Europe.

BTW, a pet peeve of mine: an Afghani is a unit of money. A person from Afghanistan is an Afghan. It would be like saying "Jestem Polski" instead of "Polakiem". Understandable, but not technically accurate.

Its not just Polish he walks around reading every obscure language you can imagine.
Nothing will make you feel dumber than drinking with Zapp LOL! :D

http://cjtf82.com/News Release/2007...l in first operation in Nangahar Province.htm

Commandos successful in first operation in Nangahar Province

BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan – The brand-new battalion of Afghan National Army Commandos, along with a contingent of Afghan National Police advised by Coalition forces, conducted its first mission successfully during a two-day operation, which concluded this morning.

The operation was conducted 30 miles southwest of Jalalabad in the Sherzad District of Nangahar Province and the Commando-led force is credited with eliminating two weapons caches, a large quantity of opium and capturing a known Taliban facilitator, along with two other possible Taliban extremists, from three targeted compounds.

The planning and execution of the operation fell to the first unit of Commandos, an elite organization of Afghan soldiers, which graduated from the three-month training program at a camp near Kabul on July 28. The Commando and ANP teams, acting on credible intelligence, moved to the objective by both helicopters and ground vehicles.

The Commandos detained a key Taliban extremist facilitator identified as Haji Shir Khan. Khan is a known improvised explosive device maker, who is responsible for numerous IED attacks on Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and Coalition forces in the Nangahar province.

During the search of the three compounds, the combined force discovered 18 rocket propelled grenade rounds, one anti-tank mine, 10 hand grenades, one 12-gauge shotgun, eight fully-loaded AK-47 magazines, and more than 80 kilograms of opium. All the items, except the shotgun and AK-47 magazines, were destroyed at the site.

. “The Commandos represent a bright future for the Afghan National Security Forces, and it’s no surprise after all of their training that they were successful in today’s mission,” said Army Maj. Chris Belcher, a Combined Joint Task Force-82 spokesman. “The Commandos’ aggressive attitude and enhanced skills allowed them to seize the initiative and work well with their partnered ANP and Coalition units throughout this two-day operation. Operations such as this one demonstrate that the ANP, and now the Commandos, are authority figures to the residents of Nangahar and can rapidly conduct synchronized missions against the enemies of peace and stability.“

No shots were fired during the entire two-day operation and no ANSF, Coalition or non-combatants were injured or killed.

Good news.

Interesting to see they are armed with American weapons.

I've worked with these guys.... The only way they are happy, is to be doing a frontal against the enemy. Any tactical movement in order to reposition is considered to be cowardly. They have no concept of LOE, and I have seen on actual operation, there handlers having to grab them in order to stop them from getting themselves killed.
They have the hearts of lions, and will die for you, but trying to get the deep routed Afghan traditions out of them, so that they can soldier properly is a battle. The handlers reffered to it as the Haj Factor.

i have a few questions

1.what do u think about their over all progress
2.dont u think they r overusing glasses lol... i mean what is the main idea, being cool...?
3.where do u put them compared to the special forces of the neighbouring countries like the pakistani SSG, how much time do u think they need to be some what comparable to them?

i guess afghanistan needs also some other Special operations groups and make good advantage of propeganda.

ART, please post an Introduction thread in the Introductions Forum before posting again.

Thank you.

20080719131216ENLUS0141811712164731.jpg

20080719131355ENLUS0141812012164732.jpg

20080719131423ENLUS0141812112164732.jpg

20080719131631ENLUS0141812512164733.jpg

20080719131702ENLUS0141812612164734.jpg

Afghan National Army (ANA) Commandos are seen in the Shindand district after the operation against Talibans in Zirkoh Shindand, Afghanistan,t 19 July 2008. ANA together with US Special forces killed 15 Taliban militants in an operation in Shindand district of Herat province, destroyed a private prison of Talibans and arrested nine of them. Two Afghan children, a woman and a man were also injured in the operation

I've worked with these guys.... The only way they are happy, is to be doing a frontal against the enemy. Any tactical movement in order to reposition is considered to be cowardly. They have no concept of LOE, and I have seen on actual operation, there handlers having to grab them in order to stop them from getting themselves killed.
They have the hearts of lions, and will die for you, but trying to get the deep routed Afghan traditions out of them, so that they can soldier properly is a battle. The handlers reffered to it as the Haj Factor.

They haven't graduated from the war college or anything, but they at least understand fire and maneuver. They (Commandos and SF) are the only ANA units that operate continuously with a partner force. The ones that belong to the US have color coded cycles of training, missions, and rest. They (Commandos) operate at a ratio of one company to one ODA/SEAL PLT/etc, so having to "grab" them, or interact with them at all on a one on one level to keep them alive would mean plenty of them would be dead.

No offense, but if the Commandos that you folks are using really have these problems, you need to turn them over to the Americans for some training- the fault is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back