Afternoon

DWL

Unverified
Afternoon gents,

I'm a 22 year old wannabe. Been hoping to attend BUD/S for the last couple years, read most of Dick Couch's books and Luttrell's Lone Survivor. Currently trying to get in shape to land myself a contract.

I've lurked on this site for a while and gathered tons of interesting information--decided to finally join. I look forward to continuing reading all the interesting stuff you BTDTs put there out there, and perhaps having the privilege of interacting with some of you.

Welcome and good luck.
What's kept you from 'doing' over the last few years vice the hoping you've been doing?
Are you currently in DEP?
Books are good, but they don't build mental toughness.
I've said it before on here, passing your PST (once in the pipeline) is like showing up to a test and spelling your name correctly.

That's an interesting question.

I wish I had a good reason for not having enlisted earlier. I was basically "waiting" until I was "really in BUD/S shape" for a long time--I wanted to be fully prepared to handle Day 1 of 1st Phase before I would even go talk to a recruiter. Never quite made it to that level. At varying points my motivation has waxed and waned, so I've fallen out of shape and gotten back into shape a couple times now. I've recently gotten back to PTing daily and am trying to get back on the road to BUD/S. I hope to hit MEPS and take the PST soon to get the ball rolling and all that.

As a side note: I've heard a "one and done" policy has been put in place at BUD/S; is this true?

That's an interesting question.

I wish I had a good reason for not having enlisted earlier. I was basically "waiting" until I was "really in BUD/S shape" for a long time--I wanted to be fully prepared to handle Day 1 of 1st Phase before I would even go talk to a recruiter. Never quite made it to that level. At varying points my motivation has waxed and waned, so I've fallen out of shape and gotten back into shape a couple times now. I've recently gotten back to PTing daily and am trying to get back on the road to BUD/S. I hope to hit MEPS and take the PST soon to get the ball rolling and all that.

As a side note: I've heard a "one and done" policy has been put in place at BUD/S; is this true?

You don't take the PST at MEPS. You take your ASVAB, if you haven't done so already and then they do a physical exam on you. Most inefficient 12 hours of my life... Once you're DEP'd in, you'll work out with an NSW/NSO motivator and that's where you'll start taking your PST and ultimately get your contract. You have to sign on as something other than SO at MEPS, so be prepared for that.
Anyhow, I have a few buddies in Coronado right now and I don't think there's any truth to the "one and done" you've heard about. When I dropped from my NSW pipeline, I got in writing that I could come back after 2 years if I so desired.

What class were you in? I heard the "one and done" policy came about ~6 months ago, around June I think. I do hope your info is right though, it seems like a lot of badass operators took more than one try to make it through.

Do you mind if I PM you with questions as I move along the process towards enlistment?

What class were you in? I heard the "one and done" policy came about ~6 months ago, around June I think. I do hope your info is right though, it seems like a lot of badass operators took more than one try to make it through.

Do you mind if I PM you with questions as I move along the process towards enlistment?

The one and done, as it was told to my class (I DOR'd in 1st Phase from 270) was applicable if you DOR'd before 1st Phase officially started. So if you quit during PTRR or Indoc, you were never allowed to come back. Also, don't stress so much about the being in shape thing. You're never in good enough shape for BUD/S. Sign up and go for it before you burn out. BUD/S is 6 months of getting kicked in the nuts and it takes a laser focus to make it through all that plus all the time you put in beforehand with Basic, Prep, PTRR, and Indoc. I spent a year in DEP and 3 1/2 years in the Fleet before I went to BUD/S and I looking back now I see that I was burnt out by the time I actually got there. That wasn't the reason I quit, but I do believe it was a contributing factor.

I was across the street in the SWCC school house. I'd follow what CDG says, he'd know more about it than I.
PM away, I don't mind at all.

The one and done, as it was told to my class (I DOR'd in 1st Phase from 270) was applicable if you DOR'd before 1st Phase officially started. So if you quit during PTRR or Indoc, you were never allowed to come back. Also, don't stress so much about the being in shape thing. You're never in good enough shape for BUD/S. Sign up and go for it before you burn out. BUD/S is 6 months of getting kicked in the nuts and it takes a laser focus to make it through all that plus all the time you put in beforehand with Basic, Prep, PTRR, and Indoc. I spent a year in DEP and 3 1/2 years in the Fleet before I went to BUD/S and I looking back now I see that I was burnt out by the time I actually got there. That wasn't the reason I quit, but I do believe it was a contributing factor.

I thought it was because you didn't have your iPod in the surf with you that day... :D

Just an update: took the ASVAB yesterday, did well, getting some medical docs in line today for MEPS processing next Thursday. They initially wanted me to hit MEPS Tuesday and take my first PST Wednesday. Thankfully I need to get my medical documentation in order... I was very ready for the PST in terms of running and PTing two months ago before I dropped off the face of the workout planet, but not now. I've been running everyday and PTing like crazy since I went in to talk to the recruiters last week. Let's hope when I take the PST probably week after next my scores will at least approach some semblance of what they were two months ago. I also need to start swimming... I had been running and PTing consistently but I haven't swam in maybe 6 months.

I'm excited to meet the local SEAL Motivator and start working out with some of the local studs who have already landed contracts.

Back