Ahmaud Arbery Shooting

Here's the skinny of it, you could argue that race played a factor in the altercation starting the way it did.

However you have two guys that don't have the same firearms training as LEO or Mil, they don't know how to handle a high intensity situation, and their decision making most likely isn't up to snuff. If the guy was white and went for the gun we would still be talking about murder charges and how they would be stupid in that scenario as well.

You have two guys who think they'd play hero but instead were way out of their depth. I don't believe race played a motive in his death more so that it started the altercation the way it did.

@Cookie_ You made all my points...and....then....counterpoints... :sneaky: -
especially after attempting to turn this thread into a racist "gotcha" (especially after your last meme) I'm still trying to figure out what you said - and then didn't say.

"I do think that they may be uninformed or just opposed to/disagreeing with the basis of the studies. " Good One. I think there's an insult buried in there somewhere. Stay in school.

I'm not shitting on your opinion. I'm shitting on your ability to express your opinion concisely. IMHO

That meme wasn't supposed to be a "gotcha" type thing.
I was commenting about the fact that I've literally seen people on larger social media sites posting things like "he got what he deserved for being a thug". That was the point of the meme.

Theres no insult in there.

We as humans cannot know everything. We will always have topics in which we are uninformed, or with which we disagree with. If you feel me saying that is insulting, nothing I can say is going to change that, just a difference of opinions then.
No hard feelings intended boss; hell, you ever swing through Colorado I'll buy you a beer.

I don't follow. If race played a factor in the shooting then how are the guys not racist and how is this not race-based?

That comes down to how people view the topics of inherent/institutionalized racism as it plays on an individual level, "casual racism", and then the concept of unconscious bias.

Unconcious bias is pretty easy to understand. That study I shared regarding black men being perceived as more threatening was conducted by asking people to look at a color inverted Male body (minus head), and judge sized after giving a primer to state whether that person was black or white. When primed the image was black, participants saw the body as larger.

Casual racism(where I'd stick race based FYI) is also what most of us probably remember as just being racial stereotyping. "Most minorities are criminals"/"black men are more violent", as two easily seen examples.

We have our out-and-out racists, which is your hatred for others/slurs/targeted crimes live.

The inherent/institutionalized racism is the belief that society and its systems itself are racist; some go further and beleive that individuals, who use these systems also racist. IE, the McMicheals are racist because they used the system (which backs whites) to pursue Arbery.

I'm not an inherent racism at individual level guy, so I wont say the shooting was in and of itself racist.

I won't currently say the shooting is race based, because we at least have enough information to know Arbery was there multiple times. Granted, they also only assumed he was armed because he had put his hand in his pants a previous night; perhaps stereotyping, but that's how muddy these discussions get.

ETA: Getting into any more race stuff is likely to get this thread off track, so if anyone wants to continue this line of discussion more we should either make a new thread or take it to DMs.

Now that it's coming out that the site owner was told to contact the father/son duo when suspicious activity happens again, it should shake some serious things up for the police. What kind of police force specifically tells a citizen to contact someone else to do their vigilantism? Absolutely insane.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it was because the father was a retired cop.

Now that it's coming out that the site owner was told to contact the father/son duo when suspicious activity happens again, it should shake some serious things up for the police. What kind of police force specifically tells a citizen to contact someone else to do their vigilantism? Absolutely insane.

Anecdotally when I was a kid visiting my grandfather in rural Missouri he'd once in a blue moon get calls from dispatch for the department he used to work at for low level stuff like wellness checks, etc. until proper LE units could arrive.

Granted he had been on the force for 40 years and everyone in the area knew him, but often times you'd have to wait almost 30 minutes for police to show up.

Some important things coming up. Apparently Greg McMichael delivered the video evidence to the radio station to have it released so the public would see them as trying to make a citizen's arrest and not as racists. Suspect in shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery helped release video of incident, attorney says

Also, the attorney for the homeowner says the homeowner believes Arbery was using the home as a water source.

Homeowner's lawyer: Ahmaud Arbery may have entered property for water breaks before fatal shooting

blah....blah...""""I'm not an inherent racism at individual level guy, so I wont say the shooting was in and of itself racist. (you already did)

I won't currently say the shooting is race based ......blah...blah..."""

You can't backtrack now. With your meme and throughout several posts in this thread you stated you thought that it was race related. Remember "Intellectually dishonest"? Let me remind you. :sneaky: Remember concise?

Those two hillbillies made the mistake of getting out of the truck and not waiting for the police. Result: Dead black kid. RIP Ahmad, Sincerely. Personally, I don't find hate crime, I don't find racism, I find incredible, massive, spur of the moment hillbilly stupidity.

Scenario: Two black men notice a white trespasser on a private construction site. They call 911 and follow the trespasser (in their truck ~ stay in their truck) after the call they follow down the road and wait for the LEO(s) to arrive. LEO(s) arrive and take digits of trespasser. LEO's arrest white trespasser and move out. Racist> not at all.

Different scenario? IMHO Not much except the black men stayed in their truck, no physical confrontation and these are the confrontations you NEVER hear about.

blah....blah...""""I'm not an inherent racism at individual level guy, so I wont say the shooting was in and of itself racist. (you already did)

I won't currently say the shooting is race based ......blah...blah..."""

You can't backtrack now. With your meme and throughout several posts in this thread you stated you thought that it was race related. Remember "Intellectually dishonest"? Let me remind you. :sneaky: Remember concise?

Those two hillbillies made the mistake of getting out of the truck and not waiting for the police. Result: Dead black kid. RIP Ahmad, Sincerely. Personally, I don't find hate crime, I don't find racism, I find incredible, massive, spur of the moment hillbilly stupidity.

Cool man, we disagree. You seem to think I'm calling you and others with your views on this situation racists personally, so this discussion is DOA.

Scenario: Two black men notice a white trespasser on a private construction site. They call 911 and follow the trespasser (in their truck ~ stay in their truck) after the call they follow down the road and wait for the LEO(s) to arrive. LEO(s) arrive and take digits of trespasser. LEO's arrest white trespasser and move out. Racist> not at all.

Different scenario? IMHO Not much except the black men stayed in their truck, no physical confrontation and these are the confrontations you NEVER hear about.

Oh, we're just making up scenarios now to prove how it could totally happen the exact same way to a white dude? Super cool.

"Damn, do I lock this thread for 24 hours, post a message asking everyone to chill, PM some people, let the rest of the staff sort it out so I don't appear to biased since I'm participating in the discussion... Man, they never covered this in Mod School, so we get to make a judgement call that could piss off people, but this thread really feels like it is about to run off the rails. I should probably clean the kitchen and iron clothes for work. What's the worst that could happen here? Bah, I'm sure everyone will read the entire thread before responding. No one ever makes a knee jerk reply without building situational awareness on the thread."

"Damn, do I lock this thread for 24 hours, post a message asking everyone to chill, PM some people, let the rest of the staff sort it out so I don't appear to biased since I'm participating in the discussion... Man, they never covered this in Mod School, so we get to make a judgement call that could piss off people, but this thread really feels like it is about to run off the rails. I should probably clean the kitchen and iron clothes for work. What's the worst that could happen here? Bah, I'm sure everyone will read the entire thread before responding. No one ever makes a knee jerk reply without building situational awareness on the thread."

What did he mean by this 🤔

Mehhhh, dude probably walks, maybe a short stint for manslaughter.

Yes these guys were wrong, yes they provoked the situation and introduced lethal force.

But attacking a guy with a shotgun was a deadly and stupid decisions. Play stupid games and you win the stupid prizes...

Just imagine for one second you are Ahmad or someone very similar to him. Has anyone on this board ever been in a situation with your dark green friend and a bunch of white trash dudes show up wanting to cause a scene? I have and thankfully the police showed up because some witness called 911.

Some humility and empathy go a long way in life when looking through a lense at how you think you would react during a situation.

Yes these guys were wrong, yes they provoked the situation and introduced lethal force.

I’d go as far as to say they created the situation, and you don’t get to do that. Not as a citizen and not as LE. I don’t care about what happened on video or 5 minutes before. Those clowns created the situation that led to the murder.

The videos I've seen show nothing definite. But, why would you follow guys following a guy for....what?

The videos I've seen show nothing definite. But, why would you follow guys following a guy for....what?

Well, I think the better question would be why on earth would you record it?

Wasn't he the neighbor that called mcmichaels?

Back