Air Force Lt. Gen. Scott A. Howell Nominated To Lead JSOC

Merrill McPeek is largely responsible for this.

The AF use to have an overwhelming number of Officers in Joint Billets, derisively called the blue wave, McPeek cut those slots as part of the Clinton draw down insisting that the AF not provide more than 25% (IIRC) of the manning. The Army (and Navy to some extent) filled the void.

The AF also seems to have developed a career track where certain types of assignments are for the A-Team, and everyone else gets pushed into the remaining slots.

I agree that a ground force commander may be better. This could also be a way to shake up "group think" by bringing a semi-outsider in (or he needs the assignment so he can be a future AFSOC Commander, which ties into my Sugar Daddy comment). We also don't know what they see as emerging/future threats.

Has MARSOC matured to the point of providing a Senior Leader with a lot of SOF experience? LTC/COL billets maybe, but I would question a SOF GO appointment (you could argue that STO/CRO could fill a GO Billet at JSOC based on their ground/air experience).
The SOCPAC CG, MajGen Yoo, is a recon officer and the deputy CG of SOCOM, LtGen Osterman is a former MARSOC CG. I don’t think he had any SOF or recon time prior to that though. I think BGen Trollinger at PP&O is our only true “badge wearing” MARSOC General Officer. I imagine he’ll take command of MARSOC at some point.

I would think a Sr Marine Raider/Recon CG would be eminently qualified to fit into a JSOC role given the Corps history of air/ground/supporting fires team coordination. Historically we've been pretty good at that, at least internally...oh, wait...The Navy, Army and Air Force would have to be involved...

Never mind.

Last edited:
I would think a Sr Marine Raider/Recon CG would be eminently qualified to fit into a JSOC role given the Corps history of air/ground/supporting fires team coordination. Historically we've been pretty good at that, at least internally...oh, wait...we'd have to rely on other branches.

Never mind.
Desert One.

Combat Service. Denoted a unit receiving the award for combat ops vice a peacetime award. I have an AFOUA with V for Bosnia (or maybe Kosovo?). Operational units only had one AF award, the Army has what? 5 different unit awards, so the V was added during Vietnam as a combat designation.

Thanks for the explanation DA SWO

I would think a Sr Marine Raider/Recon CG would be eminently qualified to fit into a JSOC role given the Corps history of air/ground/supporting fires team coordination. Historically we've been pretty good at that, at least internally...oh, wait...we'd have to rely on other branches.

Never mind.
I don’t see it happening anytime soon unless it’s a political stunt. It makes more sense to give that position to an Army or Navy officer who served in that unit in some capacity.

Back