All Things MMA, Judo, Sumo

Let's stop with the stupid Leasner talk.

That's the thing I think MacGregor has taught everyone - this is a PPV sport for the foreseeable future. The big paydays are about hype, not skill. It's a shame in my opinion. One of the things I've always liked about MMA is that - for the most part (several notable exceptions) - the sport is about skill, respect, and victory. Not about all the other shit that infects so many other sports - most egregiously boxing.

Something very classy about both fighters last night. Cormier in defeat and Jones in victory.

Especially Cormier's comments below.
--------

UFC 214 results, highlights: Jon Jones knocks out Daniel Cormier, regains title

Cormier, whom Jones heckled for more than two years after he cried in the aftermath of their first bout, didn't shy away from doing the same after the rematch. He also didn't appear to be fully recovered from the knockout at the time of the post-fight interview.

"I don't know man, I thought the fight was going well. I don't even know what happened," Cormier said. "They say I got kicked in the head? Oh man, that's so disappointing. "I guess if he wins both fights there is no rivalry so I don't know."

Last edited:
Jones is probably the greatest fighter we've ever seen. I hope Jones really has "changed" based off his recent comments about Cormier. I try not to project my "morals" onto fighters/entertainers but I have a hard time liking Jones for his public crimes.

Lastly - What is it about the great athletes like McGregor and Jones that have a self-belief that borders on insanity? It appears unshakeable. I read a lot about mental management for performance but it appears to be on a new level.

I don't follow MMA as far as technique and who is good at what or whatever. Cormier was legit to me, but he ran into a machine. Cormier had a chance, a legitimate shot, and has nothing to be ashamed of, but...you take a kick behind the ear and it's time a Snickers, you know? From that point forward, the poor guy was done. Jones bounced his head off the mat like an NBA point guard. Cormier was a legit contender until that shin connected with his skull...and not many people could come back from that shot. YMMV

Honestly what a loser, simple as that. All the talent in the world and this is what happens.

Ban hammer this guy from the UFC, he's had too many opportunities to get clean and be successful.

At some point...I just start calling them junkies....

Talent being wasted...makes me think of them as posers....

Well let's not all lose our shit just yet.

He's not stripped of the title, he's got a B sample, so there you go.

If he does get a valid, positive test though? Life suspension. UFC has to, just to save face.

For those of you that want to do a little research- the steroid he tested positive for is reportedly Turanibol- a 30 year old, highly unpopular oral steroid that has no effect short term and crappy effects long term. It's literally a useless steroid, almost no benefit. Even the amount you need to take (more than 50-60mg daily) to see an effect isn't recommended. It's actually more interesting for it's history, and not for it's usefulness.

I am not much of a conspiracy theorist, but you're telling me that Jon Jones popped positive on a day-of test for a steroid that no one uses, isn't effective, and can be taken orally? He would basically have to take a dose about 2 hours before the damn test to pop positive.

Curious. I stand by my earlier statement though- if it's a true, positive test verified by the B sample, no excuse is gonna work. He will (and should) go down as the world's most talented fighter that ever wasted their lives on shitty decisions.

But the fact that Jones had a great camp with world class nutritionists, doctors, and his own drug testing prior to the fight only to fail for an obscure, ineffective oral steroid keys up the skeptic in me.

These dudes aren't rocket surgeons....just sayin'.
I mean, fair enough. Frank Lester weighed in on the situation- having trouble linking so here it is Jackson-Wink MMA Teammate Calls Jon Jones Failed Drug Test at UFC 214 a ‘Set Up’ - I am not fully in his camp yet, but even an absolute moron (which Jones is not) understands risking millions of dollars, his career, and his reputation on something that quite literally does not matter.

Again, he tested clean all camp, and he decides to take an extremely obscure oral steroid that does not work in between weigh ins and the fight KNOWING that he's gonna walk out of the ring and drop a sample? That's not the least bit fishy to anyone?

Jone's fights light heavyweight which has a 205 lb weight limit, and he typically weighs in real close to 205.

He is more than likely a 210+ lb guy who cuts water to meet weight, and cutting water has been known to increase of something previously being undectected to be detected.

Just sayin'

Jones is probably the greatest fighter we've ever seen. I hope Jones really has "changed" based off his recent comments about Cormier. I try not to project my "morals" onto fighters/entertainers but I have a hard time liking Jones for his public crimes.

Well, crap.

As I understand the drug (T-bal) he took. It's a kick starter steroid you take by mouth with a steroid stack that can increase your strength while allowing you to cut weight by not retaining water and getting HGH face.

I mean, fair enough. Frank Lester weighed in on the situation- having trouble linking so here it is Jackson-Wink MMA Teammate Calls Jon Jones Failed Drug Test at UFC 214 a ‘Set Up’ - I am not fully in his camp yet, but even an absolute moron (which Jones is not) understands risking millions of dollars, his career, and his reputation on something that quite literally does not matter.

Again, he tested clean all camp, and he decides to take an extremely obscure oral steroid that does not work in between weigh ins and the fight KNOWING that he's gonna walk out of the ring and drop a sample? That's not the least bit fishy to anyone?

The bolded part is an issue... Because unfortunately, although probably the most naturally gifted MMA fighter on the planet, Jon Jones has repeatedly proven himself to be an idiot.

I think he's probably juiced for most of his career, went clean after popping the first time, looked mortal against OSP and started to juice again. Fuck his "dick pill" excuse for the first time he popped as well.

The bolded part is an issue... Because unfortunately, although probably the most naturally gifted MMA fighter on the planet, Jon Jones has repeatedly proven himself to be an idiot.

I think he's probably juiced for most of his career, went clean after popping the first time, looked mortal against OSP and started to juice again. Fuck his "dick pill" excuse for the first time he popped as well.
I can't disagree. Some guys jut can't get out of their own way.

I could go with the conspiracy against him, if he hadn't already been in trouble several times. I think regardless, his image is so badly damaged, that he will have a big problem keeping a fan support, much less his coaching staff, etc. UFC? as long as they can make money off of him they will. Nevada athletic commission? I could see a perma-ban if his B sample is fooked.

Jones is the perfect target for a conspiracy. He has a past littered with drug issues so for him to pop hot is something few people will question. The big hurdle for me is "why him?" Who gains from him losing, a person/ organization with enough influence to skew the test results?

Nothing about the outcome, if we ever know, would surprise me.

Back