Are we using this yet?

M79 is a horrible bit of kit that is prone to hitting you on the head at any moment, even when sitting quietly in a harbour watching your arcs... :p

You lost me, brother. Is this an inside Aussie joke or am I as unperceptive as I think? How does the M79 hit you on the head...?

Because we don't have grenadiers, we have riflemen who also carry the M79 (which we carried until 2001 when we got a UGL for the F88.) the 79 was slung, ready to use and also ready to swing around and konk you on the head.

Because we don't have grenadiers, we have riflemen who also carry the M79 (which we carried until 2001 when we got a UGL for the F88.) the 79 was slung, ready to use and also ready to swing around and konk you on the head.

:doh:

I've always had a soft spot for the M79, if for no other reason than it affords me the opportunity to snap open the breach and say, "Shop smart, Shop S-Mart!" When else are you going to be able to do that in combat?

Nobody on the team really wanted to carry a 203, so we strapped them (M79's) in convenient ready places in the vehicles.

Had a mate who carried one as his primary weapon for a few patrols, F88 slung. Then one day a few militia blokes pop up looking for trouble. Old mate's eyes light up, pulls the trigger, no kaboom, opens it up, see's a strike on the bomb, closes it, fires again, no kaboom, tries a new bomb, click, no kaboom, throws the 79 at the militia who were well and truly in break contact mode by now.
40 year old weapons with 40 year old firing pins eventually get to a point where they don't work. Poor bastard, we couldn't talk to him for a week afterwards. :p

Back