As a LEO, in an Active Shooter Situation, You Should...

This isn't just a problem off-duty-
I loved all the pics/video on the Va Tech shooting. It was a bunch of LEOs taking cover behind trees, cars, etc OUTSIDE while shots rang out from inside. I'm sure they were waiting for the situation to develop/waiting for backup/waiting for the word from higher/etc. Newsflash, you were the damn backup- good job.

If you are an LEO and are questioning what you would have done in this scenario, here's my perspective- you're paid to confront danger, the average citizen is not. You have the potential to be in a war zone at anytime, so do what every good soldier overseas does- realize that today might be the day, but regardless of that fact, you're going to do your damn job.

So here's my recommended course of action-
Be a warrior for a day (or at least just a few minutes), gain a tactical advantage and send that loser to hell. Don't wait for the situation to develop- develop the situation- reactive vs. proactive. The second you become reactive, you're a step behind- get inside his loop and beat him.

I think the answer for an active shooter is to be more active than he is.

Active shooters claim a lot of reactive/passive victims.

Spot on. Awesome post.

This isn't just a problem off-duty-
I loved all the pics/video on the Va Tech shooting. It was a bunch of LEOs taking cover behind trees, cars, etc OUTSIDE while shots rang out from inside. I'm sure they were waiting for the situation to develop/waiting for backup/waiting for the word from higher/etc. Newsflash, you were the damn backup- good job.

If you are an LEO and are questioning what you would have done in this scenario, here's my perspective- you're paid to confront danger, the average citizen is not. You have the potential to be in a war zone at anytime, so do what every good soldier overseas does- realize that today might be the day, but regardless of that fact, you're going to do your damn job.

So here's my recommended course of action-
Be a warrior for a day (or at least just a few minutes), gain a tactical advantage and send that loser to hell. Don't wait for the situation to develop- develop the situation- reactive vs. proactive. The second you become reactive, you're a step behind- get inside his loop and beat him.

I think the answer for an active shooter is to be more active than he is.

Active shooters claim a lot of reactive/passive victims.

IMO this comes from the preached mantra of "officer safety". I'm trying to not paint with a broad brush, as I believe the military has the same problem. We preach "force protection/preservation", emphasizing safety and reducing the danger to the force, just as the police preach "officer safety/survival". I think this has led to mind set in some that the preservation of your own life is the most important thing you do. But sometimes safety has to take second place over doing your job; you may have to enter that building or charge that hill to complete the mission. In these situations, you may very well get injured or killed, and you have to be prepared to go into the breach if that's what the mission requires.

Agreed, you only get so many opportunities in your life where you can make a substantial difference in the outcome of something important...then you can spend the rest of your life satisfied you stepped up and did the right thing, or spend the rest of your life remembering how you failed miserably. "It's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb"

Agreed, you only get so many opportunities in your life where you can make a substantial difference in the outcome of something important...then you can spend the rest of your life satisfied you stepped up and did the right thing, or spend the rest of your life remembering how you failed miserably. "It's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb"

Well said. Reminds me of "Braveheart." ;)

I think I already stated my TTP in a thread about grocery store robberies. I'm grabbing the nearest fat kid as a shield and curling up in a ball on the ground behind him. You heros can do whatever you want, but leave me out of it.

You are such a pacifistic, tie dye wearing, dope smoking unwashed patchouli doused weenie.... I can believe this statement....:ROFLMAO:

(goodbye all, I will be chopped into little tiny pieces and fed to Bruno soon...)

You are such a pacifistic, tie dye wearing, dope smoking unwashed patchouli doused weenie.... I can believe this statement....:ROFLMAO:

(goodbye all, I will be chopped into little tiny pieces and fed to Bruno soon...)

He's mostly eating chicken & turkey now. Too much red meat isn't good for him. :D

One rarely finds me without a cup of coffee in my hands. My well-rehearsed COA is to get within the effective range of a thrown cup of hot coffee and target the active shooters face. While his/her skin is melting, I would disarm him like the jason bourne that I am.

All kidding aside, this is exactly what I would do:

"At least I have chicken......"

icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Brozos (sorta like bros, but more like bozos), here's the deal-
Before you leave the house in the morning, take your balls out and put them in your pants- then confront the world like Leroy.

Current LE doctrine is go to the threat and engage. There was a day when the first responders would hold the perimeter and wait for SWAT. This changed after Colombine.

Reference the VA Tech comments, I wasn't there but I do know that first responders did in fact go to the shots. When they hit the doors they found that they were chained and locked from the inside. Once breached they went to the shooter.

Not too long ago we had to review our active shooter regulations for an upcoming inspection to our office. I found it rather interesting how you are raised in the Army (or at least I was) to run towards the sound of gunfire, yet when it comes to an active shooter the Army says to hide/run. All joking aside, I would not be able to live with myself if I did that, and the mental toll would be much more damaging than any physical damage a gunmen could do to me.

I've said it before, but it irritates me tremendously that you (recruiters specifically, but service members generally) have no access to weapons and no effective means of defending yourselves in such a situation. You'd think Ft. Hood would have taught Big Army a lesson, but....:wall:

I've said it before, but it irritates me tremendously that you (recruiters specifically, but service members generally) have no access to weapons and no effective means of defending yourselves in such a situation. You'd think Ft. Hood would have taught Big Army a lesson, but....:wall:

Because we (I am former AD) are not trusted enough to carry loaded weapons during peacetime. Real talk. That's my belief. Also could be that The Green Machine places security on the shoulders of the base MP's.

Shit dude, we had to clear all weapons at the gate on returning to the FOB in Iraq...why carry weapons stateside? That makes WAY too much sense!

I'm a small town cop. We only have two cruisers. Each car has a haligan, sledge and 36" pair of bolt cutters. We know we need to respond to most calls alone, including an active shooter. I am not waiting for back up and the Cops responding to my kids school better not either. These fucking cowards need to be met quickly with accurate return fire. They die when the police show up. I think we should be offering training to those teachers, bus drivers, janitors and lunch ladies willing and dedicated to train and carry daily!

Back