As a LEO, in an Active Shooter Situation, You Should...

I've only worked one place where they had a response for and active shooter. Head for the Fire Control Room, get on the EWIS and broadcast for everyone to evacuate. Keep in mind that no-one carries here except LEOs'. My current places (x2) of work have no official policy. One in particular should have something as it's a high foot traffic precinct.

In an active shooter situation, as a member of the unarmed public... Good luck.

pardus I agree. It is a shitty situation. The video hide, run, fight is cheesey like the stuff many of us cold war kids watch, duck and cover type videos or cartoons. It is however a step in the right direction. It is something I've told my elementary school children. My son in particular, he is the oldest. Two years ago I brought him to school for the first day and they'd started locking the doors. At ten he looked at me and said but dad the doors are glass. I smiled and said I know buddy. It would slow someone down a little but not much. I told him if he could to RUN! He is little and he is fast. We talked about the woods behind school, the corner store and the town offices and PD down the road as well as the three mile trek home. Hiding under a desk waiting for some sick fuck to shoot you is no way to go. Fighting back is an option when you can't run or hide. These people are fucking cowards. Hit them, stab them and choke them. Better yet do all three at once. Talk to your co workers and your family.

Share this video with them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=TlRmF5ybc_n5EdQKy1z9ng&bvm=bv.60157871,d.cWc

At my agency, the only backup you are waiting for is the gun on your hip (assuming your rifle is in your hand).

Agreed, standard LE doctrine is to neutralize the threat as quick as possible. While we train to do this in teams of 4 or 5, each of us is prepared to do it alone if need be. Historically, putting pressure on the active shooter makes him either turn the weapon on himself or on us and not the unarmed victims. While getting shot at pisses me off, I'd rather get shot at than a student or office worker. That's why they pay me, well one of the reasons!

This is the poster in my office.. love the stool..

2014__ACTIVE_SHOOTER_campaign_4.jpg

In today's world of "PC"...I am surprised they have a picture depicting that type of action....

Personally, I like it!

Interestingly enough.. I'm sure there are some workplace guidance and OSHA standards that wouldn't allow scissors to be used in that manner, or at least no running with them.

At the Navy Yard shooting, one employee was hiding, and rather than leaving work without his CAC card, he decided to return and get it. Seconds later as he turned a corner back towards his office he was shot and killed.

Moral of the story is screw your CAC card,you won't get fired for leaving it in your PC in the event of an active shooter.

Back