Aviation Structural Mechanics in the 160th SOAR

but I don't see him sticking around long.

I am sure I'm too green around here to have a vote but I'm on board.

All the stuff in the world you find on the internet isn't going to tell you what a 15G really does. Your job will be to maintain a bench stock and to fix whatever I break. Whether that be because it broke/ damaged due to a mission or I just got pissed off and broke/ damaged it. There will be no manufacturing parts and yada yada unless something needs a mod. I already told you nothing to do with Stealth/ Radar absorption will be discussed here for obvious reasons so don't bring it up. Its clearly obvious you don't have an idea what you really want to do due to your multiple posts about multiple different topics (EOD, ROTC, Army Boats, Navy Boats and now 160th). This is not somewhere for you to speak your mind on a certain topic. Come here already knowing exactly what you want to do and learn about that subject.

kinda depressed how closed minded people on here are,

When this started we were all open to what you're wanting to know. The fact that you repeatedly post back with what I will now call some smart ass remark is unacceptable. The people here are a vast library of knowledge and if you cant figure out how to properly use it that's on you and too bad.

I don't know what SAMS-E is or any of your other super duper A&P acronyms and I don't really give a shit. You are not going to impress anyone here.

Once again Read more, Post less

Last edited:
If I don't stick around long, it wont hurt my feelings, kinda depressed how closed minded people on here are, when things I've discussed are also across hundreds of different aviation and composite forums. You'd probably piss yourself if you know SAMS was used in classrooms in colleges for NSNs for aircraft parts imported into 3D software for manufacturing/replication/production purposes in a public classroom.

It's not about being close-minded. The simple fact is that the purpose of this page is Special Operations. I'm not an admin so my opinion doesn't matter either way, but if an admin told me I needed to read more and post less I would do that. Especially when it becomes apparent that I'm starting to annoy a community I just joined, and have little knowledge about. I think you have something to contribute, but you may be going about it the wrong way. You don't want to alienate yourself from the very people you want to help and work with one day. My .02

I am sure I'm too green around here to have a vote but I'm on board.

Look bud this is how this is going to go. I'm going to tell you some things then I'm going to go away because although we may be the same age the difference is I've been doing this since I was 18 and I'm pretty damn good at it to be quite honest with you.

All the stuff in the world you find on the internet isn't going to tell you what a 15G really does. Your job will be to maintain a bench stock and to fix whatever I break. Whether that be because it broke/ damaged due to a mission or I just got pissed off and broke/ damaged it. There will be no manufacturing parts and yada yada unless something needs a mod. I already told you nothing to do with Stealth/ Radar absorption will be discussed here for obvious reasons so don't bring it up. Its clearly obvious you don't have an idea what you really want to do due to your multiple posts about multiple different topics (EOD, ROTC, Army Boats, Navy Boats and now 160th). This is not somewhere for you to speak your mind on a certain topic. Come here already knowing exactly what you want to do and learn about that subject.

When this started we were all open to what you're wanting to know. The fact that you repeatedly post back with what I will now call some smart ass remark is unacceptable. The people here are a vast library of knowledge and if you cant figure out how to properly use it that's on you and too bad.

I don't know what SAMS-E is or any of your other super duper A&P acronyms and I don't really give a shit. You are not going to impress anyone here.

Once again Read more, Post less

I didn't say anything about stealth crap in here?

SAMS-E is the Army's maintenance system. It's where you can download/access aircraft schematics and parts. Not sure where you keep going off on stealth?

It's not about being close-minded. The simple fact is that the purpose of this page is Special Operations. I'm not an admin so my opinion doesn't matter either way, but if an admin told me I needed to read more and post less I would do that. Especially when it becomes apparent that I'm starting to annoy a community I just joined, and have little knowledge about. I think you have something to contribute, but you may be going about it the wrong way. You don't want to alienate yourself from the very people you want to help and work with one day. My .02

Quite frankly, from what I'm seeing, with the sensitivity of members on this board, compared to the others, I'm shocked that everyone really is so sensitive. Asking a simple question, then given more questions, and pissed because they don't like the answers, why ask the questions in the first place? And then going off/pissed off on something I never said, let alone have discussed, but yet insist that it wont be talked about, which hasn't been talked about.

And for people who don't know what SAMS-E is, it's not an A&P acronym. It's an Army Acronym. SAMS-1E is the software used by the US Army that holds all schematics, manuals, parts information, etc. for all ground and aerial vehicles. From tanks, to helicopters, to the composition and manufacturing of the panels and specifications to repair or fabricate parts and components. Community Colleges and University composite programs, machinist programs, and aviation maintenance programs have been using SAMS-E for almost 2 years.

When a part is needed for an aircraft or ground vehicle, the part will have an NSN, (NATO Stock Number) with that NSN the part and its specifications can be found, and information to produce it are found with it. From the rear gears of a UH-60, to the structural ties to a CH-47, or the armored plates for a Bradley, are in SAMS-E. That's what the program is, and what it's for. DOD allows colleges and school programs to manufacture and produce parts for them for academic purposes to cut costs for the parts themselves on the large scale.

AFs Maintenance system and Navy's Maintenance system included are found in many colleges and universities. The fact some on here blow up about OPSEC on things that are really public knowledge (it's how China has replicated the AH-64D and modified it for their own military use). I'm just baffled by this place.

This will probably be my last post in this topic, because I feel like I'm starting to beat a dead horse. In my short time here, what I've noticed is that this community, like all of SOF, is close knit and the people here are reluctant to talk to people they don't know. A member here refused to answer a question I had about TACP because I wasn't verified. Fair enough, why should he take the time out of his day to talk to someone he doesn't know? Who am I and what/why do I want to know about TACP? A lot of what you type comes off, to me, as nothing more than an attempt to impress the people on this site, and it doesn't appear to be working. You want to go to the 160th? This is a great place to learn about it, and the amount of knowledge that can be gained from this place is astounding, but at the rate you're going my guess is people are going to be less likely to help.

*waits for admin*

Just stop where you are. The only way from here is down bud. Nobody has asked for your explanation for SAMS and that is way above what your lever would be as a 15G that has nothing to do with everyday operations of Conventional or SO RW units.

From the rear gears of a UH-60

Never heard of that. Don't really care for you to elaborate either.

Your information is about as useless to me as Chris Farleys (R.I.P.) workout tips...

This will probably be my last post in this topic, because I feel like I'm starting to beat a dead horse. In my short time here, what I've noticed is that this community, like all of SOF, is close knit and the people here are reluctant to talk to people they don't know. A member here refused to answer a question I had about TACP because I wasn't verified. Fair enough, why should he take the time out of his day to talk to someone he doesn't know? Who am I and what/why do I want to know about TACP? A lot of what you type comes off, to me, as nothing more than an attempt to impress the people on this site, and it doesn't appear to be working. You want to go to the 160th? This is a great place to learn about it, and the amount of knowledge that can be gained from this place is astounding, but at the rate you're going my guess is people are going to be less likely to help.

*waits for admin*
I could care less to impress someone, never have. Simply explaining what SAMS-E is, isn't showing off, it's explaining to someone who is apparently an aircraft mechanic in the army what the computer system his branch of service uses is and does. Nothing more. If he doesn't use the computer system to determine what he needs to fix something, or to get a part number to a new part that he needs, I guess that's the kind of way the 160th works.

From what I'm finding, this place isn't very good at all to learn about it. I'm pretty sure I know how this will end, and quite frankly, so be it. I've learned more about Army Aviation in general from my composites program than I have reading every page of the 160th and military support sections on here. Being a tight knit group doesn't really say anything when you're talking about a publicly accessible forum. In the discussion of topics that are publicly accessable.

If someone in TACP would be that stringent on talking about TACP, unless he's talking about things he knows he shouldn't even be discussing, the smoke and mirrors are quite unnecessary. I haven't said anything here that is OPSEC, borderline OPSEC, or even in the realm of OPSEC, nor was my one question. Instead of an educated opinion, it's a pissing match. As if we're all back in high school. If a topic is truly that sensitive to speak about, that is public information to begin with, or that is general opinion, the fact it's really that "secret squirrell" I really don't think people like that should even be on a public forum to begin with if they can't trust themselves to speak about even unclassified, non-opsec information, they should not even be in a position to know of the information they aren't supposed to talk about to begin with.

Never at any point have I asked about specific capabilities, unit sizes, unit movements, names, locations, or any of the other "OPSEC stuff". Just asked a very simple question, that never even entered the area at all of OPSEC.

Just stop where you are. The only way from here is down bud. Nobody has asked for your explanation for SAMS and that is way above what your lever would be as a 15G that has nothing to do with everyday operations of Conventional or SO RW units.

Never heard of that. Don't really care for you to elaborate either.

Your information is about as useless to me as Chris Farleys (R.I.P.) workout tips...

I explained what SAMS was, because you, apparently did not. Same with how you're unfamiliar with the Tail Rotor Drive Shaft or the rear gears inside of it.

Have a good day.

I could care less to impress someone, never have. Simply explaining what SAMS-E is, isn't showing off, it's explaining to someone who is apparently an aircraft mechanic in the army what the computer system his branch of service uses is and does. Nothing more. If he doesn't use the computer system to determine what he needs to fix something, or to get a part number to a new part that he needs, I guess that's the kind of way the 160th works.

From what I'm finding, this place isn't very good at all to learn about it. I'm pretty sure I know how this will end, and quite frankly, so be it. I've learned more about Army Aviation in general from my composites program than I have reading every page of the 160th and military support sections on here. Being a tight knit group doesn't really say anything when you're talking about a publicly accessible forum. In the discussion of topics that are publicly accessable.

If someone in TACP would be that stringent on talking about TACP, unless he's talking about things he knows he shouldn't even be discussing, the smoke and mirrors are quite unnecessary. I haven't said anything here that is OPSEC, borderline OPSEC, or even in the realm of OPSEC, nor was my one question. Instead of an educated opinion, it's a pissing match. As if we're all back in high school. If a topic is truly that sensitive to speak about, that is public information to begin with, or that is general opinion, the fact it's really that "secret squirrell" I really don't think people like that should even be on a public forum to begin with if they can't trust themselves to speak about even unclassified, non-opsec information, they should not even be in a position to know of the information they aren't supposed to talk about to begin with.

Never at any point have I asked about specific capabilities, unit sizes, unit movements, names, locations, or any of the other "OPSEC stuff". Just asked a very simple question, that never even entered the area at all of OPSEC.

I have gave you more than enough educated information. Army Aviation doesn't not use anything called SAMS-E. We use TAMMS which you guessed it is The Army Maintenance Management System. and more specifically we use ULLSA-E for aircraft which is Unit Level Logistics System Aviation Enhanced. You clearly know a lot about composites apparently well I know more about Army Aviation and the systems I use daily so lets leave it at that. Clearly YOU are not familiar with the T/R D/S or tail rotor drive shaft or else you would know it does not have gears inside of it. If you would like references I can tell you TM 1-1520-282-23&P That's the maint. manual for a Mike model Blackhawk. Also I am a 60 Mechanic and I have worked on every different model of Blackhawk helicopter the Army offers doing base level maint. to full phases and recovery missions while holding additional positions of Crew Chief and Flight Instructor.

Draneol-
Figure out what you want to do, then find the Branch of the Military that works.

You are not going from basic to Green Plt, you wouldn't stand a chance.

You may, or may not get Ft Campbell as a first assignment, good chance you'd go to the next unit leaving for ass-crackistan.

Should you go in, don't waive AIT. The weeks in AIT/Tech School will allow you to mature (in a military sense) and make you a better Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine depending on the Branch you select (Hint, with 1 exception the AF has better assignment locations).

Step 1 is figure out the job YOU want, we can't do that.

Good luck.

Didn't mean to blow off your question in my above post.

I want to join the military because to me it's interesting, I like the aesthetics of military aircraft over civilian aircraft. I already have guaranteed employment almost anywhere I wish, once I gain more experience that "almost" will be replaced with "can." Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm kind of glad I don't have the mentality some on this site have, if I did I'd be quite bored of myself. Army Hangers at Ft Lewis also are what catches my interest, they always seem to be constantly working without much down time.

I'd imagine with all the aircraft getting shot down around the world, a Structural Mechanic even may be quite busy. Although I am still in debate whether or not to go for 89D. Or to pursue the offer of 15G. For me it'd be a nice change of pace/scenery for a change. Still under debate on taking no AIT or with AIT. But that I guess I'll figure out alone.

Thank you for the follow-up response.

Guess I'm not changing my avatar anytime soon....

h61820F11

Draneol-
Figure out what you want to do, then find the Branch of the Military that works.

You are not going from basic to Green Plt, you wouldn't stand a chance.

You may, or may not get Ft Campbell as a first assignment, good chance you'd go to the next unit leaving for ass-crackistan.

Should you go in, don't waive AIT. The weeks in AIT/Tech School will allow you to mature (in a military sense) and make you a better Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine depending on the Branch you select (Hint, with 1 exception the AF has better assignment locations).

Step 1 is figure out the job YOU want, we can't do that.

Good luck.

If he actually has the sack to enlist, I'll bet you a beer he doesn't get through BCT.

@Draneol this is my last attempt to mediate anything you've written and provide you with some constructive criticism.

You need to stop. You are all over the place and your posts are a mess, a mad woman's breakfast. In the brief time you've been a member you gave us the impression that you worked on armor for vehicles and wanted to be involved with that, then it was an interest in boats, now you're telling us you study aviation.
1. We don't know what your interests are because you seem to want to do everything
2. You've given us the impression that you're studying armor or trucks or airplanes. You look like a spastic liar at this point. Maybe you know what you're doing but we sure as hell don't. Why does that matter? You're coming to us for advice and we can't read you. You're all over the place.

You have a bad, BAD habit of regurgitating information which isn't relevant. You babble. You answer indirectly. You post stuff from a textbook or wherever (we don't care) when asked a question and you're rarely to the point. Again, a mad woman's breakfast. Your attempts to make us understand have only alienated us. We don't care how smart you are and what you've learned in school.

I don't know what your deal is, but I do know your communication skills and mentality are bad. You're smart? Great. Can you interact with other people? I don't see it happening here. There's a saying: If you wake up and people are assholes, then maybe they're assholes. In the afternoon if they are still assholes then maybe it is you.

I guarantee you right now that if you acted like this around a 160th recruiter you wouldn't be in the unit. If you acted like this around NCO's, you'd be in for a world of hurt. Your time in uniform would be painful and you'd punch out after one enlistment. You'd probably blame the system or something, but right now it is 5PM/ 1700 and we're the assholes?

Do what you have to do, but check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Our 2 year course covers general airframe and structure in core curriculum.

AF guys would get 10 days for the specific stealth paint formulas for the B2. F-22 an so fourth. Reason we can get AIT waived. Is because MOS schools of 13 weeks of study. Vs 2 years of study.

The Major explained to us it is because our educational background for the subjects is like making a weapons sergeant go thru 11B school after finishing the Q course. (His words not mine). We can choose to do AIT or not. We leave school with all FAA certs needed for structural repair and assembly of the composites and airframe as part of our core class curriculum.

The major is a dumb ass, sorry... even if an individual is not 11b before going to the Q course, he will get 11B training in a very early phase of training, no matter what 18 Series MOS he will eventually hold.

Wow this thread is retarded.

Anyone joining the Army is required to complete BCT and AIT before they can be assigned to a career field (read become promotable) even if an 18 CMF or any other CMF is assinged to an 11 CMF para/line number, that individual must become MOSQ before they can receive promotion, awards or other favourable actions. Their is no OJT for 11 CMF, there are however, reclass courses that can range from 2-5 weeks dependent on service branch and MOS (11B,C,M,H, Z). In order to qualify for a reclass, you must have held an MOS and Reclass to a different CMF. Their are no short course for initial entry soldiers in the US Army. This of course is regarding enlistee personnel and not the officer corps or branch transfers.

Also, USMC Infantry MOS's are the only individuals who can transfer to the Army Infantry and are not required to reclass, as they are awarded the 11B MOS upon enlistment. However, if it has been a period of time (not sure how long) since you ETS'ed both Army and USMC Infantry are required to attend the 11B AIT again in order to go AD. A good buddy of mine had to go through 5 weeks at Sand Hill after going NG to AD, he was a 11B30 in the NG.

Back