Aviation Structural Mechanics in the 160th SOAR

This will probably be my last post in this topic, because I feel like I'm starting to beat a dead horse. In my short time here, what I've noticed is that this community, like all of SOF, is close knit and the people here are reluctant to talk to people they don't know. A member here refused to answer a question I had about TACP because I wasn't verified. Fair enough, why should he take the time out of his day to talk to someone he doesn't know? Who am I and what/why do I want to know about TACP? A lot of what you type comes off, to me, as nothing more than an attempt to impress the people on this site, and it doesn't appear to be working. You want to go to the 160th? This is a great place to learn about it, and the amount of knowledge that can be gained from this place is astounding, but at the rate you're going my guess is people are going to be less likely to help.

*waits for admin*
You're good. Press on.

And go have a beer at the Rose and Crown in Beck Row for me- loved every second of the 321st when I was there.

Except for the Army Band.

Are those guys even soldiers? }:-)

Yes that's a joke.

There is actually a NON-MOS designation in the Army for enlisted who have not completed AIT and been awarded an MOS. However, again they cannot hold a duty position of an MOS unless they become qualified, as in attend the AIT course. I don't have the regs in front of me, but one of the requirements for promotion is MOSQ. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the MOS skill level being tied to the level of rank (I.e. 11B20 Infantry Sgt, Fire Team Leader).

There are circumstances for certain high skill MOS's that do not require the soldier to attend AIT, it's called ACASP - Army Civilian Acquired Skills Program.

That being said, knowledge does not equate competence. If an Olympic Gold Medal shooter walks into my office asking to be a Sniper, I'll tell them the same thing I tell an 18 year old kid who's never picked up a gun. You can have a great foundation and all the potential in the world, if your a dick head it really doesn't matter as you'll never last - especially in a SOF unit.

Never mind I went and read up on it, I was thinking of anther program. Question it stated it allowed for advanced placement and promotions, is that without AIT or are they still required to attend ait?

Never mind I went and read up on it, I was thinking of anther program. Question it stated it allowed for advanced placement and promotions, is that without AIT or are they still required to attend ait?

It's completely circumstantial. It depends on the MOS, current USAREC messages, and the certifications you hold. For example, if you hold a CDL I know that you qualified for ACASP in MOS 88M at one time, but I have no idea what the current messages say to determine what you would get for that certification. It changes all the time, and the MOS's they take under ACASP come in and out as the needs of the Army dictate. But to answer your question, some MOS's in ACASP have allowed the soldier to go straight from BCT to their unit, others have to attend a partial AIT. Again, "It depends."

Since we're drifting....quite a few AIT's are/ were waiverable depending on sister service qualifications or civilian education for prior enlisted. For example, once upon a time the 74B (now 25B) MOS was granted to prior enlisted with an A.S. in Comp. Sci. I know we had some Navy Intel types cross over without going to an Army AIT. It CAN happen, but a few blocks have to be checked and they are highly unlikely to be checked by an initial entry soldier. A Master-rated, FAA-certificated parachute rigger? I know one who enlisted and he went to AIT to be a Rigger, BUT Army riggers (and probably the other services) can challenge for an FAA certificate based upon completing AIT (for a Senior rigger's ticket).

And I'm sure all of this varies according to funding, manning, etc.....especially in the reserve component.

I would not want to be an initial entry anything and skip AIT/ Tech School. That's just....stupid.

There is something to be said about knowing how to do something, and then doing it the way it is done where you work. Those are often different things.

Really? When was that? Why did they allow that, because you had a civi EMT qualification?

This was 2006/07.

The Army's view was that an 11B + active Nationally Registered paramedic w/instructor quals + active SWAT medic = 68W. My first drill was an introduction to Army medical paperwork, then a session with our BN PA to check my skills and knowledge. After that, released to full practice as senior medic in a Stryker line company.

I totally agree that without prior background in the Army, and the general military knowledge gained through the Infantry school I'd have been unable to function in that position.

This was 2006/07.

The Army's view was that an 11B + active Nationally Registered paramedic w/instructor quals + active SWAT medic = 68W. My first drill was an introduction to Army medical paperwork, then a session with our BN PA to check my skills and knowledge. After that, released to full practice as senior medic in a Stryker line company.

I totally agree that without prior background in the Army, and the general military knowledge gained through the Infantry school I'd have been unable to function in that position.

Interesting, I wonder if thats still the case now.
I went through in 2009 and then a non prior service EMT-B/I/P is allowed to skip the EMT-B portion of AIT but must still attend the W side of the school.

Interesting, I wonder if thats still the case now.
I went through in 2009 and then a non prior service EMT-B/I/P is allowed to skip the EMT-B portion of AIT but must still attend the W side of the school.

Dunno.

I think what saved me from Ft. Sam was the 11B MOS. I didn't need to learn tactics, or how to function within an Infantry squad. That, and having a solid knowledge of TC3 from SWAT.

I think attending BCT and the W portion at Ft. Sam is just about right for a paramedic coming off the street with no military experience. I'd go so far as to say medics with prior service in a non-combat arms MOS should have to do the same thing.

Tactical medicine is very different than traditional EMS, and training is required in order to develop that skill set.

I think attending BCT and the W portion at Ft. Sam is just about right for a paramedic coming off the street with no military experience.

Back in 2002/3 that would have been how my training would have gone (provided I passed their skill tests), fresh off school (run by a Reservist Corpsman) and a shiny new NREMT-P cert if I had enlisted in the Army like I planned instead of marrying into it.

Back