Aviation Structural Mechanics in the 160th SOAR

Draneol

Unverified
So we had a recruiter officer and his sergeants come into class today, and discussed with us direct MOSs they can guarantee us on enlistment with less, or no additional AIT training time. Among the MOSs that had 0 AIT weeks for us, was Aviation Structural Repairer.

We can opt to have AIT in contract or not for it, because of what we are studying in school. My question is, would the 160th be open to new soldiers? if so, is it during AIT you apply, or just after AIT? My classmates have been going through the AF and Navy Recruiters to get their AM, and others for 2A7X3 and 2A7X5. The later one requires they have to take a 10 day class after boot camp.

I guess my question is, would an MOS like this be worth skipping AIT for? And if so, what are timelines for applications? The SOR home page doesn't really say much on that. Myself and 12 others may be jumping the hoops to go 15G since we can get it guaranteed, while the rest are going AF and Navy for the same thing pretty much.

I understand everyone has to still pass green platoon if you pursue the 160th, but at this moment I'm just looking at options between 15G and 89D. One being the focus of my entire degree pretty much, and the other for the awesomeness it sounds like. Any input?

They would let you skip AIT? No AIT, none whatsoever? The Air Force will only make you go through a 10 day course in lieu of Tech School?

They would let you skip AIT? No AIT, none whatsoever? The Air Force will only make you go through a 10 day course in lieu of Tech School?
They may be able to waive a lot of training, but 10 days sounds pretty low (10 weeks?)

Fairly new AFSC, only working on B-2, F-22 and F-35's.

So we had a recruiter officer and his sergeants come into class today, and discussed with us direct MOSs they can guarantee us on enlistment with less, or no additional AIT training time. Among the MOSs that had 0 AIT weeks for us, was Aviation Structural Repairer.

I guess my question is, would an MOS like this be worth skipping AIT for?

Just what exactly are you studying in school?

I have personally never heard of anyone being able to skip AIT and I would personally strongly advise against it just for the fact no matter what you study in school it more than likely will not completely prepare you for Army Aviation. The time in AIT is a great time for you to learn more about Army Aviation as a whole not just your job and get some good tips and pointers along the way from your cadre. Your prior background will more than likely help you greatly but I can imagine there would still be a great deal of stuff for you to learn.

Now 160th, normally while you are at AIT a recruiter will stop by Fort Eustis at some point and hold a Regiment briefing at that point you can talk 1 on 1 with him and if you choose to, submit a packet. You have already mentioned interest in volunteering so I wont talk about DA select. A previous aviation maintenance background could help in your packet but the normal standards of recruiting will apply. What is your GT score (Above 100), PT score (250-270) at the very least, why you want to be a Night Stalker and what you can offer the Regiment. 160th maintainers whether they be line company or shops are some of the most technically proficient maintainers in the Army. First things first though, focus on the 25 meter target and decide if you want to serve in the military. Nothing else can be done until that point.

PM me if you have any other pressing questions.

Last edited:
It sounds like I am looking for the path of least resistance.

Why do you want to join the military? To be one of the cool kids? Guaranteed employment? I've only read a couple of your posts, but you don't come across as having the same mentality as many of the people on this site have. What is your motivation/fascination with joining?

Our 2 year course covers general airframe and structure in core curriculum.

AF guys would get 10 days for the specific stealth paint formulas for the B2. F-22 an so fourth. Reason we can get AIT waived. Is because MOS schools of 13 weeks of study. Vs 2 years of study.

The Major explained to us it is because our educational background for the subjects is like making a weapons sergeant go thru 11B school after finishing the Q course. (His words not mine). We can choose to do AIT or not. We leave school with all FAA certs needed for structural repair and assembly of the composites and airframe as part of our core class curriculum.

Well damn. I took time out of my busy day :-" to try and help this guy out..

Just what exactly are you studying in school?

I have personally never heard of anyone being able to skip AIT and I would personally strongly advise against it just for the fact no matter what you study in school it more than likely will not completely prepare you for Army Aviation. The time in AIT is a great time for you to learn more about Army Aviation as a whole not just your job and get some good tips and pointers along the way from your cadre. Your prior background will more than likely help you greatly but I can imagine there would still be a great deal of stuff for you to learn.

Now 160th, normally while you are at AIT a recruiter will stop by Fort Eustis at some point and hold a Regiment briefing at that point you can talk 1 on 1 with him and if you choose to, submit a packet. You have already mentioned interest in volunteering so I wont talk about DA select. A previous aviation maintenance background could help in your packet but the normal standards of recruiting will apply. What is your GT score (Above 100), PT score (250-270) at the very least, why you want to be a Night Stalker and what you can offer the Regiment. 160th maintainers whether they be line company or shops are some of the most technically proficient maintainers in the Army. You are going to work long hours and on your own and you will be accountable for every bit your work. You will be afforded other school opportunities once you prove you can hack it but don't use that alone to decide you want to join. You earn your beret everyday and can be fired at any time. Think about why you really want to be there, do you want to support some of the best aircrews, and helicopters the military has to offer? Or do you want to be a cool guy and tell everyone your a Night Stalker and plaster it all over your vehicles rear window? Because I assure you that you will not be the cool guy, you'll be the guy who busts his ass without thanks or thought of reward just to get up and do it all over again. First things first though, focus on the 25 meter target and decide if you want to serve in the military. Nothing else can be done until that point.

PM me if you have any other pressing questions.

I am studying Advanced Composites, manufacturing, and repair. Part of the Core Curriculum is the A&P General exam for Structural Construction and Repair. We use the A&P General Textbook ISBN-10: 0884875598 as one of our 9 textbooks (front to back) for the core curriculum for a reason. Same reason why we have hanger outside of the classroom/shop with an F4, UH-1, and Cessna 172, is for practicing structural repair and maintenance/reproduction.

Core Curriculum is FAA Endorsed, with side curriculum/projects we can choose to pursue additional study in, on top of our core training. It's why Boeing is involved with our program, as is Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Air Washington, ETC.

Why do you want to join the military? To be one of the cool kids? Guaranteed employment? I've only read a couple of your posts, but you don't come across as having the same mentality as many of the people on this site have. What is your motivation/fascination with joining?

I'm studying Advanced Composites, employment/getting employment in the field isn't difficult at all if you've gone to school for it, everything from boats, to ships, to hot tubs, bath tubs, cars, planes, helicopters, all are made of composites.

So now you're almost rated as an aviation mechanic instead of an armor composition design major.

Intradasting.

Aviation Mechanic, not in the grease monkey way. What you're saying is a loose term, Anything structural on an aircraft I can already repair, replace, manufacture, or assemble. Including wiring harnesses and fasteners to the grounding components. Which is where that part stops. I don't think an Aircraft Structural Mechanic is what you think it is.

I was starting to wonder that myself once I read through more of his posts..

Feel free.

We've ascertained in previous threads that drano is full of shit.
I've said nothing that can't be verified, I will be leaving it at that..

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Didn't mean to blow off your question in my above post.

I want to join the military because to me it's interesting, I like the aesthetics of military aircraft over civilian aircraft. I already have guaranteed employment almost anywhere I wish, once I gain more experience that "almost" will be replaced with "can." Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm kind of glad I don't have the mentality some on this site have, if I did I'd be quite bored of myself. Army Hangers at Ft Lewis also are what catches my interest, they always seem to be constantly working without much down time.

I'd imagine with all the aircraft getting shot down around the world, a Structural Mechanic even may be quite busy. Although I am still in debate whether or not to go for 89D. Or to pursue the offer of 15G. For me it'd be a nice change of pace/scenery for a change. Still under debate on taking no AIT or with AIT. But that I guess I'll figure out alone.

And to some other users on here:
Assembles structural parts and components to meet requirements for preserving structural integrity and low observable qualities. Assesses damage to aircraft structural components and low observable coatings. Advises on structural and low observable repair, modification, and corrosion protection treatment with respect to original strength, weight, and contour to maintain structural and low observable integrity. Ensures aircraft component balance is maintained. Assembles repairs using special fasteners and adhesives. Checks repairs for serviceability according to specifications and technical publications. Manufactures jigs, fixtures, forms, and molds.

Paints aircraft, missiles, and support equipment (SE). Identifies, removes, and treats corrosion using mechanical and chemical procedures. Applies corrosion protective and low observable coatings. Applies aircraft paint schemes and markings.

Uses metalworking equipment and tools to form, cut, bend, and fasten replacement or repair parts to damaged structures and components. Fabricates, repairs, and assembles tubing and cable assemblies for aerospace weapon systems and SE. Maintains and inspects tools and equipment. Performs operator maintenance and service inspections on shop equipment and tools. Ensures lockout and tagout procedures are accomplished prior to performing shop equipment maintenance. Stores, handles, and disposes of hazardous waste and materials according to environmental standards.

Inspects structures and components and determines operational status. Interprets inspection findings, and determines corrective action adequacy. Posts entries and maintains maintenance and inspection records. Recommends methods to improve equipment performance and maintenance procedures. Uses automated maintenance systems. Inputs, validates, and analyzes data processed to automated systems. Clears and closes out completed maintenance discrepancies in automated maintenance systems.

In a nutshell, that is core curriculum for Composites study.

Which is also the description of a structural mechanic job for the airforce.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob2a7x3.htm

Although the description doesn't mention much in the layout and manufacturing of honeycomb structures, resins, etc. etc. but that is also apart of the job not mentioned in much specifics.

I'm studying Advanced Composites, employment/getting employment in the field isn't difficult at all if you've gone to school for it, everything from boats, to ships, to hot tubs, bath tubs, cars, planes, helicopters, all are made of composites.

That still doesn't answer LimaOscarSierraTango's question. "What is your motivation/fascination with joining?"

A&P Shmay & Pee. That alone and FAA this and that doesn't make you anything in Military eyes besides possibly having a solid base to advance your knowledge of military aircraft. And I think you are thinking a 15G is way more high speed than it really is. I understand someone may have offered you to skip AIT but I have NEVER heard of that and until I see it in writing I never will.

Feel free.

Thank you but certainly don't need permission. As I find its suspect that you are talking about things of the utmost OPSEC then now you want to be a Golf and are referencing stealth technology again. None of that will be talked about here. And I'm sure everyone else will back me up on that. Wayyyy outside of your lane to be honest.

If anyone thinks I'm off base let me know and ill Charlie Mike but I'm pretty sure I'm tracking with how you guys get down around here..

...Thank you but certainly don't need permission. As I find its suspect that you are talking about things of the utmost OPSEC then now you want to be a Golf and are referencing stealth technology again. None of that will be talked about here. And I'm sure everyone else will back me up on that. Wayyyy outside of your lane to be honest.

If anyone thinks I'm off base let me know and ill Charlie Mike but I'm pretty sure I'm tracking with how you guys get down around here..

I would agree that you're tracking well. Additionally, he has been told on more than one occasion to read more and post less. I hope I'm wrong, because he seems relatively knowledgeable in the realm of composites, and that could help users on this site, but I don't see him sticking around long.

That still doesn't answer LimaOscarSierraTango's question. "What is your motivation/fascination with joining?"

A&P Shmay & Pee. That alone and FAA this and that doesn't make you anything in Military eyes besides possibly having a solid base to advance your knowledge of military aircraft. And I think you are thinking a 15G is way more high speed than it really is. I understand someone may have offered you to skip AIT but I have NEVER heard of that and until I see it in writing I never will.

Thank you but certainly don't need permission. As I find its suspect that you are talking about things of the utmost OPSEC then now you want to be a Golf and are referencing stealth technology again. None of that will be talked about here. And I'm sure everyone else will back me up on that. Wayyyy outside of your lane to be honest.

I don't care to discuss stealth technology on here, never really did. I'm not sure what you mean by "High Speed", I expect a shop environment, with vacuums, furnace, a bunch of rolls of kevlar and other materials, machinery, a computer with CATIA installed, schematics for structural parts of aircraft with demensions, a few tool boxes, several air compressors with large amounts of clamps, tables, wrenches, pneumatic tool sets, etc.

Not sure how anything I've spoken about is utmost OPSEC when it's discussed/worked on in civilian texts and civilian classes.

I would agree that you're tracking well. Additionally, he has been told on more than one occasion to read more and post less. I hope I'm wrong, because he seems relatively knowledgeable in the realm of composites, and that could help users on this site, but I don't see him sticking around long.

If I don't stick around long, it wont hurt my feelings, kinda depressed how closed minded people on here are, when things I've discussed are also across hundreds of different aviation and composite forums. You'd probably piss yourself if you know SAMS was used in classrooms in colleges for NSNs for aircraft parts imported into 3D software for manufacturing/replication/production purposes in a public classroom.

Back