best 7.62 NATO for civilian (home) purchase?

:)Hey, that gets me thinking...does anyone know if they make a shortened (and civilian)version of the M14 similar to what they called the "tanker" version of the Garand? (even though I know they never actually had a "tanker" version of the Garand in WW2...I think it was a Springfield Marketing idea). Has anyone shortened a M14 barrel? Or, maybe do you guys think is there a "hot load" for the 7.62x39 that would be comparable to the .308, that could be fired in the Ruger Mini-30?
Thanks folks!

I need to write Ruger and find out why the mini-30 isn't the .308 it SHOULD be!!!

:)Hey, that gets me thinking...does anyone know if they make a shortened (and civilian)version of the M14 similar to what they called the "tanker" version of the Garand? (even though I know they never actually had a "tanker" version of the Garand in WW2...I think it was a Springfield Marketing idea). Has anyone shortened a M14 barrel? Or, maybe do you guys think is there a "hot load" for the 7.62x39 that would be comparable to the .308, that could be fired in the Ruger Mini-30?
Thanks folks!

I need to write Ruger and find out why the mini-30 isn't the .308 it SHOULD be!!!

Military Version:

Yes, there is the Springfield SOCOM II (M-14) in 7.62. ;)

Link:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory28.php

Civilian Version:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory05.php

Dang, in looking closer I don't see why I can't buy the Mil version!!!
Awsome!!! (now, where's that damn credit card!!!)
:)

This one is so nice.... held one the other day at a Gun Show...

SPga_story28B_544.jpg

No Kidding! Seems to me like the best of All worlds.
I can't say this with any "real world" authority (except growing up Hunting in Alaska) but that seems like it should be the choice for the SCAR (did I say that right?) for every soldier and LEO...but that's just an uninformed (Air Force) stupid-sentimental and gut feeling opinion.:p
Anyway, I sure as hell want one!!!!
THAT's the "Mini-30" that Ruger SHOULD have made!!!

Waaaaaaa, I want it NOW!!!!

I had a socom and still have a Mini 30. Personally I prefer the standard M1A1. For a shorty in .308, I have a AR 10. The mini 30, is basically in a different class because of ammo it shoots.

The M1A1 is a very capable reach out and touch someone with iron sites.

Yeah the Ruger Mini's are just not nearly as accurate or as strong as the M1A chassis. Although the weapon is a lot of fun to shoot. The accuracy is sub-standard. Many fans of the Mini's don't shoot them beyond 200.

I used to have a Mini-14 and loved it. Then I got my first QUALITY AR style firearm and then my M1A Super-Match from Springfield. Now I understand what all the hype is about!

Ruger makes a decent weapon! It just wasn't designed with the level of accuracy I prefer.

FYI - There was a place down in Texas (Accuracy International???) which would take your Mini-14/30 and Accurize it and guarantee sub MOA accuracy. But it cost like 1200 - 1400 to do it! Which seems crazy considering you have to supply the weapon!

Hollis,
Why did you prefer the AR-10 over the Socom?
And (if ya have time) is the M1A1 because of the longer range?
I loved my old Garand, but had always wished it was shorter, and .308.
Didn't like the stripper-clips. Liked the old dependable M1 type action.

I'm thinking of something that will be good (with a red-dot sight) out to 500+/- (old eyes remember!)...in the <$2K range, that's magazine fed and that even the (tiny)wife could handle...and all this before January's innaugeration!:uhh:

It will also be supplimented with a scoped .300 Weatherby (around next fall's birthday!
...another silly sentimental Alaska rig!) Long story on the Weatherby, but sufice to say I traded it (in my stupid youth) for the M1Garand, and to this day my Dad has never forgiven me!!! (with good reason!). Especially since NOW I have NEITHER!:doh:

Hollis,
Why did you prefer the AR-10 over the Socom?
And (if ya have time) is the M1A1 because of the longer range?
I loved my old Garand, but had always wished it was shorter, and .308.
Didn't like the stripper-clips. Liked the old dependable M1 type action.

I'm thinking of something that will be good (with a red-dot sight) out to 500+/- (old eyes remember!)...in the <$2K range, that's magazine fed and that even the (tiny)wife could handle...and all this before January's innaugeration!:uhh:

It will also be supplimented with a scoped .300 Weatherby (around next fall's birthday!
...another silly sentimental Alaska rig!) Long story on the Weatherby, but sufice to say I traded it (in my stupid youth) for the M1Garand, and to this day my Dad has never forgiven me!!! (with good reason!). Especially since NOW I have NEITHER!:doh:

The AR 10 also has a collapsible stock. As I mentioned earlier I was originally trained on the M14. I don't mind a longer rifle, it really depends on use. I have a number of choices in my collection, so it is not a big issue on trying to find one rifle that can fulfill multiple purposes. I have several Garands, IMHO, they are great rifles. There is the BM59 (?) Beretta made a Garand conversion, box magazine and in .308. I had one (civilian kit/not made by Beretta), but having two M1A1s at the time, I did not see the need to keep it.

Realistically, I am retired and my purpose of use is fun base. I also hunt, so I have rifles/pistols that fit those needs.

Other advantage, I have been in the firearms business, so I get to play with a lot of cool stuff.

Thanks Hollis. I had never heard of the conversion, but I remember a "tanker" Garand by Springfield...but it still used the stripper-clips. It's a challenge, especially since I want it small/simple for the wife to use it, yet good punch out to 500+/-!

But, like you say..there's the "fun" issue as well, and half of THAT is the search and learning curve...and teaching her when the time comes.
I knew this would be the place to learn...ALL you folks on this forum are awsome!!!!
:cool:

Yeah, that fit's the bill!
It's probably alot of sentimental value influencing my decision also.
I just always loved that M1 style action/feel!

Why do you want a 7.62 NATO for your wife?

It's a big round with a big kick.

A 5.56 will get to 500 without trouble.

Why do you want a 7.62 NATO for your wife?

It's a big round with a big kick.

A 5.56 will get to 500 without trouble.

Yes, many who started their military shooting careers remember a black eye from the back of your thumb when shooting the M-1 or M-14, as well as the M-1 thumb, during rifle inspections. :doh: (I Never did the M-1 thumb.)

The biggest reason that I can think of for preferring the 7.62 NATO over the 5.56 round is the 'knock down' power, as well as a little flatter shooting at longer ranges. Many in the Special Operations community, have voiced a need for this cartridge for those very reasons. As I recall the SCAR rifle, is a module rifle that can be used in either 5.56 and 7.62 for those reasons as well.

http://www.defense-update.com/products/s/scar.htm

Arizona's terrain IMO, would justify a hard hitting flat shooting round such as the 7.62 or .300 Win. Magnum over a 5.56 round.

I'll agree with you on the recoil for most slight women, especially those that don't shoot often, it could cause a lot of anticipation of that recoil and misses.

Another factor in the choice of rifle calibers is the weight of loaded magazines, if you need to carry a 'basic load,' and especially if you have to hump them any distance. :uhh:

If it were me, I'd buy a good 'battle rifle' in 5.56, from the many selection's of M-4 types on the market or an AK-47 variant and use the bolt action .300 Magnum he apparently already has for long distance shooting.

My guess that if the xhit hits the fan, the M-4 type with the 5.56 will better serve him than the 7.62 for most of his needs. Also easier on the wifes shoulder, etc. :2c:

The biggest reason that I can think of for preferring the 7.62 NATO over the 5.56 round is the 'knock down' power, as well as a little flatter shooting at longer ranges. Many in the Special Operations community, have voiced a need for this cartridge for those very reasons. As I recall the SCAR rifle, is a module rifle that can be used in either 5.56 and 7.62 for those reasons as well.

Exactly! I don't have the true combat experience (ex-USAF)...but I do have dangerous large animal experience from Alaska. I have seen the difference between the "stopping power" of a .22 (5.56) or .243 round, versus a full .30 caliber round (both .308 and .300 Weatherby) on various animals (up to and inc. bears), which I equate as being similar to body armor/cover...especially at 200+++yds. Plus, I really like the dependability of the M1 style action...in addition to the "sentimental" value and ruggedness of the M1 style.

The short version is because I hope to never have to use it in anger, but if I do it will probably be somewhere between 0 yds out to 500+/-, and in a probably "urban" (carbine-type) environment.

I do also plan on it's possible use for desert carry on S&R here in Arizona...and that would PROBABLY be a situation where it's used also as a fairly close (<500yd) range "defensive" weapon against possible Coyote/7.62x39 or 5.56 attack (god forbid?);). And as a easy to carry shoulder arm on Wildlife Photo expeditions, also here in Arizona and summer in Alaska...(bear/mt lion/angry pot growers = .308)..and probably wouldn't freak out a Forrest Ranger as much as an AR-15 or AK-47!

And lastly, it should not be toooo crazy-big for the wife to shoot (for fun). Full size M1 or M14 is probably too big for that (and I admit I could be "rationalizing" this for the shorter barrel!) I do wonder about that "critical volocity" concept regarding .308 barrel length...and will research that. Maybe a minimum of 16" is necessary.

But, again..THANKS everyone for the info and advice. At least I've come up with some EXCELLENT options thanks to you folks!!!
:cool:

Back