Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/bin-laden-raid-book_n_1822628.html

NEW YORK -- A first-hand account of the Navy SEAL mission that killed Osama bin Laden is coming out Sept. 11.

Dutton announced Wednesday that Mark Owen's "No Easy Day" will "set the record straight" on the raid in Pakistan in May 2011.

"Mark Owen" is a pseudonym for the combat veteran who was one of the first fighters to enter bin Laden's third floor hideout and also witnessed his death, according to Dutton, an imprint of Penguin Group (USA). The co-author, journalist Kevin Maurer, has worked on four previous books.

One senior military official said the manuscript was not shared with special operations officials, to check for possible disclosure of classified information. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the vetting of classified information.

Seriously?

Wow....and I don't mean that in a "Wow, this is awesome" sense. Is the cover of the book going to have an eagle sharpening talons while the TT burn in the background with a Trident ascending to heaven or something?

Reactions: CDG
Think not this time:

http://news.lalate.com/2012/08/22/mark-owen-navy-SEAL-team-6-member-publishes-bin-laden-book/

2uravco.jpg

Wow.

I'll still read it. Without a doubt.

But wow.. its one thing for Dalton Fury to write about an event that occured 7-8 years previously.

But this is way soon lol. he must have retired recently.

Understandable that since UBL was American enemy numero Uno, the thirst for any kinds of information is incredible.
Aaaaand you can bet it's gonna be an instant best seller.

There's information you want to know and then there's information you should know or need to know.

So, why even bother with NDAs anymore? It is apparent that they are worthless scraps of paper. Not to beat up NSW, but the amount of media about the SEALs when compared to other SOF units...

Did it started with that film and Marcinko books in early 90's?

There's information you want to know and then there's information you should know or need to know.

So, why even bother with NDAs anymore? It is apparent that they are worthless scraps of paper. Not to beat up NSW, but the amount of media about the SEALs when compared to other SOF units...

And it's not even media or people on the fringes. It's dudes in the units that have done the deeds. :-/

So I'll address the Elephant In The Room...pragmatically, what's the difference between this guy cashing in on it (that's what it is) and Obama using it to get reelected?

So I'll address the Elephant In The Room...pragmatically, what's the difference between this guy cashing in on it (that's what it is) and Obama using it to get reelected?
Money vs Power. This guy cashes in and goes away. Obama cashes in and we all pay.

What if he uses it as a springboard to politics? Ventura flexes to mind.
He could, but people are now forewarned that he runs his mouth. Obama had nothing to leak until he was in power and then began to betray national trust.

He could, but people are now forewarned that he runs his mouth. Obama had nothing to leak until he was in power and then began to betray national trust.

Which is pretty much irrelevant because it wasn't a leak, it was a public announcement.

I know how long the NDA I signed was and with this guy being a retired SEAL, sure as shit his was a lot longer than mine. Charge him and any one involved in the vetting/clearance of the material used in the book.

I know how long the NDA I signed was and with this guy being a retired SEAL, sure as shit his was a lot longer than mine. Charge him and any one involved in the vetting/clearance of the material used in the book.

It doesn't seem any officials vetted the material, and that's a problem.

Bottom line in my view- disclose classified information and you need to go to federal prison.

I wonder how his fellow SEALs feel about this.

Which is pretty much irrelevant because it wasn't a leak, it was a public announcement.

It may have been a public announcement, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was a breach of both national trust and national security.

It's the same thing. Oh look, the details of the Bin Laden raid get leaked just before the election. Hm, I wonder who said that was going to happen?

Reactions: JBS
It's the same thing. Oh look, the details of the Bin Laden raid get leaked just before the election. Hm, I wonder who said that was going to happen?

I think it's a long bow to draw to suggest this book is a deliberate action on the part of the White House, without evidence at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back