Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy is a sell out POS. He didn't get this approved? Fucking seriously?
I'm glad his name is out in the public domain. I wonder if he considered the consequences to his unit, family, country etc... or just the money and fame?

Fuck him.

Money talks...That's what this boils down to. This guy will make a small fortune and then open up a ultra high speed shooting academy or "consult" for war movies..

If he betrayed his Team mates and possibly put them in harms way by revealing TTP's for monetary gain, well I believe Karma's a bitch...

I agree the story was going to come out and the USG was going to take credit. But the announcement should have come later, after we'd had a chance to exploit the intel. Most importantly, "SEAL Team Six" should have been replaced by "agents of the United States Government". I know the term agent is controversial, but it is applicable in this circumstance. No one needed to know DEVGRU had done it. The list of likely units isn't long, but let the enemy figure it out. Why immediately put them on the trail of every member of DEVGRU and their families?

True. But does that mean that because one guy did a stupid thing, someone else gets carte blanche for doing it?

I agree with your second point to a certain extent. Yes one wrong doesn't make it right for another guy but it goes to the credibility of the people attacking one set of action. For example another one of the big criticism of Obama is he took to much credit and celebrated to much. All kinds of Republicans have made that attack from Boehner on down. Boehner was around when Bush did a tail hook landing on an aircraft carrier comes strutting out for a photo op in his flight suit and gives a speech in front of a big mission complete banner. Did anyone accuse Bush of taking to much credit? Did anyone think Bush was trying to say he was the one that captured Iraq all by himself. Did anyone on the right stand up and say made that was a little to much.

It's not about it being Bush's fault but it's about a double standard. When your guy does it nothing gets said when the other guys does it, even if its not as bad, NOW we have a problem. That is what drives me nuts.

As far as your first point I understand your point we just probably disagree on it. Personally I believe that story was going public in a matter of hours regardless of what the WhiteHouse did. We couldn't deny it because there was a crashed helicopter in the compound and everyone was going to know exactly what happened. I wasn't there and I don't know the intel but my gut says there probably wasn't much that could have been taken advantage of in the next couple hours before that story became public.

Admiral Kelly, Captain Card, officers and sailors of the USS Abraham Lincoln, my fellow Americans: Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed. And now our coalition is engaged in securing and reconstructing that country.

In this battle, we have fought for the cause of liberty, and for the peace of the world. Our nation and our coalition are proud of this accomplishment — yet it is you, the members of the United States military, who achieved it. Your courage — your willingness to face danger for your country and for each other — made this day possible. Because of you, our nation is more secure. Because of you, the tyrant has fallen, and Iraq is free.

Operation Iraqi Freedom was carried out with a combination of precision, and speed, and boldness the enemy did not expect, and the world had not seen before. From distant bases or ships at sea, we sent planes and missiles that could destroy an enemy division, or strike a single bunker. Marines and soldiers charged to Baghdad across 350 miles of hostile ground, in one of the swiftest advances of heavy arms in history. You have shown the world the skill and the might of the American Armed Forces.

This nation thanks all of the members of our coalition who joined in a noble cause. We thank the Armed Forces of the United Kingdom, Australia, and Poland, who shared in the hardships of war. We thank all of the citizens of Iraq who welcomed our troops and joined in the liberation of their own country. And tonight, I have a special word for Secretary (Donald) Rumsfeld, for General (Tommy) Franks, and for all the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States: America is grateful for a job well done.

The character of our military through history — the daring of Normandy, the fierce courage of Iwo Jima, the decency and idealism that turned enemies into allies — is fully present in this generation. When Iraqi civilians looked into the faces of our servicemen and women, they saw strength, and kindness, and good will. When I look at the members of the United States military, I see the best of our country, and I am honored to be your commander in chief.

In the images of fallen statues, we have witnessed the arrival of a new era. For a hundred years of war, culminating in the nuclear age, military technology was designed and deployed to inflict casualties on an ever-growing scale. In defeating Nazi Germany and imperial Japan, Allied Forces destroyed entire cities, while enemy leaders who started the conflict were safe until the final days. Military power was used to end a regime by breaking a nation. Today, we have the greater power to free a nation by breaking a dangerous and aggressive regime. With new tactics and precision weapons, we can achieve military objectives without directing violence against civilians. No device of man can remove the tragedy from war. Yet it is a great advance when the guilty have far more to fear from war than the innocent.

In the images of celebrating Iraqis, we have also seen the ageless appeal of human freedom. Decades of lies and intimidation could not make the Iraqi people love their oppressors or desire their own enslavement. Men and women in every culture need liberty like they need food, and water, and air. Everywhere that freedom arrives, humanity rejoices. And everywhere that freedom stirs, let tyrants fear.

We have difficult work to do in Iraq. We are bringing order to parts of that country that remain dangerous. We are pursuing and finding leaders of the old regime, who will be held to account for their crimes. We have begun the search for hidden chemical and biological weapons, and already know of hundreds of sites that will be investigated. We are helping to rebuild Iraq, where the dictator built palaces for himself, instead of hospitals and schools. And we will stand with the new leaders of Iraq as they establish a government of, by, and for the Iraqi people. The transition from dictatorship to democracy will take time, but it is worth every effort. Our coalition will stay until our work is done. And then we will leave — and we will leave behind a free Iraq.

The Battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11th, 2001, and still goes on. That terrible morning, 19 evil men — the shock troops of a hateful ideology — gave America and the civilized world a glimpse of their ambitions. They imagined, in the words of one terrorist, that September the 11th would be the "beginning of the end of America." By seeking to turn our cities into killing fields, terrorists and their allies believed that they could destroy this nation's resolve, and force our retreat from the world. They have failed.

In the Battle of Afghanistan, we destroyed the Taliban, many terrorists, and the camps where they trained. We continue to help the Afghan people lay roads, restore hospitals, and educate all of their children. Yet we also have dangerous work to complete. As I speak, a special operations task force, led by the 82nd Airborne, is on the trail of the terrorists, and those who seek to undermine the free government of Afghanistan. America and our coalition will finish what we have begun.

From Pakistan to the Philippines to the Horn of Africa, we are hunting down al-Qaida killers. Nineteen months ago, I pledged that the terrorists would not escape the patient justice of the United States. And as of tonight, nearly one-half of al-Qaida's senior operatives have been captured or killed.

The liberation of Iraq is a crucial advance in the campaign against terror. We have removed an ally of al-Qaida, and cut off a source of terrorist funding. And this much is certain: No terrorist network will gain weapons of mass destruction from the Iraqi regime, because the regime is no more.

In these 19 months that changed the world, our actions have been focused, and deliberate, and proportionate to the offense. We have not forgotten the victims of September the 11th — the last phone calls, the cold murder of children, the searches in the rubble. With those attacks, the terrorists and their supporters declared war on the United States. And war is what they got.

Our war against terror is proceeding according to principles that I have made clear to all:

Any person involved in committing or planning terrorist attacks against the American people becomes an enemy of this country, and a target of American justice.

Any person, organization, or government that supports, protects, or harbors terrorists is complicit in the murder of the innocent, and equally guilty of terrorist crimes.

Any outlaw regime that has ties to terrorist groups, and seeks or possesses weapons of mass destruction, is a grave danger to the civilized world, and will be confronted.

And anyone in the world, including the Arab world, who works and sacrifices for freedom has a loyal friend in the United States of America.

Our commitment to liberty is America's tradition — declared at our founding, affirmed in Franklin Roosevelt's Four Freedoms, asserted in the Truman Doctrine, and in Ronald Reagan's challenge to an evil empire. We are committed to freedom in Afghanistan, in Iraq, and in a peaceful Palestine. The advance of freedom is the surest strategy to undermine the appeal of terror in the world. Where freedom takes hold, hatred gives way to hope. When freedom takes hold, men and women turn to the peaceful pursuit of a better life. American values, and American interests, lead in the same direction: We stand for human liberty.

The United States upholds these principles of security and freedom in many ways — with all the tools of diplomacy, law enforcement, intelligence, and finance. We are working with a broad coalition of nations that understand the threat, and our shared responsibility to meet it. The use of force has been, and remains, our last resort. Yet all can know, friend and foe alike, that our nation has a mission: We will answer threats to our security, and we will defend the peace.

Our mission continues. Al-Qaida is wounded, not destroyed. The scattered cells of the terrorist network still operate in many nations, and we know from daily intelligence that they continue to plot against free people. The proliferation of deadly weapons remains a serious danger. The enemies of freedom are not idle, and neither are we. Our government has taken unprecedented measures to defend the homeland — and we will continue to hunt down the enemy before he can strike.

The war on terror is not over, yet it is not endless. We do not know the day of final victory, but we have seen the turning of the tide. No act of the terrorists will change our purpose, or weaken our resolve, or alter their fate. Their cause is lost. Free nations will press on to victory.

Other nations in history have fought in foreign lands and remained to occupy and exploit. Americans, following a battle, want nothing more than to return home. And that is your direction tonight. After service in the Afghan and Iraqi theaters of war — after 100,000 miles, on the longest carrier deployment in recent history — you are homeward bound. Some of you will see new family members for the first time — 150 babies were born while their fathers were on the Lincoln. Your families are proud of you, and your nation will welcome you.

We are mindful as well that some good men and women are not making the journey home. One of those who fell, Corporal Jason Mileo, spoke to his parents five days before his death. Jason's father said, "He called us from the center of Baghdad, not to brag, but to tell us he loved us. Our son was a soldier." Every name, every life, is a loss to our military, to our nation, and to the loved ones who grieve. There is no homecoming for these families. Yet we pray, in God's time, their reunion will come.

Those we lost were last seen on duty. Their final act on this earth was to fight a great evil, and bring liberty to others. All of you — all in this generation of our military — have taken up the highest calling of history. You are defending your country, and protecting the innocent from harm. And wherever you go, you carry a message of hope — a message that is ancient, and ever new. In the words of the prophet Isaiah: "To the captives, 'Come out!' and to those in darkness, 'Be free!"'

Thank you for serving our country and our cause. May God bless you all, and may God continue to bless America.

President George W. Bush

Good evening. Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world, the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of al Qaeda, and a terrorist who's responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children.

It was nearly 10 years ago that a bright September day was darkened by the worst attack on the American people in our history. The images of 9/11 are seared into our national memory -- hijacked planes cutting through a cloudless September sky; the Twin Towers collapsing to the ground; black smoke billowing up from the Pentagon; the wreckage of Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where the actions of heroic citizens saved even more heartbreak and destruction.
And yet we know that the worst images are those that were unseen to the world. The empty seat at the dinner table. Children who were forced to grow up without their mother or their father. Parents who would never know the feeling of their child's embrace. Nearly 3,000 citizens taken from us, leaving a gaping hole in our hearts.
On September 11, 2001, in our time of grief, the American people came together. We offered our neighbors a hand, and we offered the wounded our blood. We reaffirmed our ties to each other, and our love of community and country. On that day, no matter where we came from, what God we prayed to, or what race or ethnicity we were, we were united as one American family.
We were also united in our resolve to protect our nation and to bring those who committed this vicious attack to justice. We quickly learned that the 9/11 attacks were carried out by al Qaeda -- an organization headed by Osama bin Laden, which had openly declared war on the United States and was committed to killing innocents in our country and around the globe. And so we went to war against al Qaeda to protect our citizens, our friends, and our allies.

Over the last 10 years, thanks to the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counterterrorism professionals, we've made great strides in that effort. We've disrupted terrorist attacks and strengthened our homeland defense. In Afghanistan, we removed the Taliban government, which had given bin Laden and al Qaeda safe haven and support. And around the globe, we worked with our friends and allies to capture or kill scores of al Qaeda terrorists, including several who were a part of the 9/11 plot.

Yet Osama bin Laden avoided capture and escaped across the Afghan border into Pakistan. Meanwhile, al Qaeda continued to operate from along that border and operate through its affiliates across the world.

And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network.
Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan. And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice.
Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body.

For over two decades, bin Laden has been al Qaeda's leader and symbol, and has continued to plot attacks against our country and our friends and allies. The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation's effort to defeat al Qaeda.
Yet his death does not mark the end of our effort. There's no doubt that al Qaeda will continue to pursue attacks against us. We must --- and we will -- remain vigilant at home and abroad.

As we do, we must also reaffirm that the United States is not --- and never will be --- at war with Islam. I've made clear, just as President Bush did shortly after 9/11, that our war is not against Islam. Bin Laden was not a Muslim leader; he was a mass murderer of Muslims. Indeed, al Qaeda has slaughtered scores of Muslims in many countries, including our own. So his demise should be welcomed by all who believe in peace and human dignity.

Over the years, I've repeatedly made clear that we would take action within Pakistan if we knew where bin Laden was. That is what we've done. But it's important to note that our counterterrorism cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to bin Laden and the compound where he was hiding. Indeed, bin Laden had declared war against Pakistan as well, and ordered attacks against the Pakistani people.
Tonight, I called President Zardari, and my team has also spoken with their Pakistani counterparts. They agree that this is a good and historic day for both of our nations. And going forward, it is essential that Pakistan continue to join us in the fight against al Qaeda and its affiliates.
The American people did not choose this fight. It came to our shores, and started with the senseless slaughter of our citizens. After nearly 10 years of service, struggle, and sacrifice, we know well the costs of war. These efforts weigh on me every time I, as commander in chief, have to sign a letter to a family that has lost a loved one, or look into the eyes of a service member who's been gravely wounded.
So Americans understand the costs of war. Yet as a country, we will never tolerate our security being threatened, nor stand idly by when our people have been killed. We will be relentless in defense of our citizens and our friends and allies. We will be true to the values that make us who we are. And on nights like this one, we can say to those families who have lost loved ones to al Qaeda's terror: Justice has been done.
Tonight, we give thanks to the countless intelligence and counterterrorism professionals who've worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome. The American people do not see their work, nor know their names. But tonight, they feel the satisfaction of their work and the result of their pursuit of justice.

We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country. And they are part of a generation that has borne the heaviest share of the burden since that September day.
Finally, let me say to the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 that we have never forgotten your loss, nor wavered in our commitment to see that we do whatever it takes to prevent another attack on our shores.

And tonight, let us think back to the sense of unity that prevailed on 9/11. I know that it has, at times, frayed. Yet today's achievement is a testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the American people.
The cause of securing our country is not complete. But tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is the story of our history, whether it's the pursuit of prosperity for our people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer place.
Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth or power, but because of who we are: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Thank you. May God bless you. And may God bless the United States of America.

President Barack H. Obama

President Bush makes no mention of himself. Maybe Obama's speech writers are just pretentious douchebags?

His speech was written like it was for a reason... a political reason.

President Bush makes no mention of himself. Maybe Obama's speech writers are just pretentious douchebags?

His speech was written like it was for a reason... a political reason.

Because the whole spectacle of the prelanding coverage and Bush walking out onto the flight deck of a carrier in a flight suit and making the speech on a carrier instead of the White House didn't say "look at me". It could have been a much different situation if he flew to the carrier on Marine1, got off the helicopter in his normal business and gave his speech. Both events are more then just the words in the speech.

It doesn't seem any officials vetted the material, and that's a problem.

Bottom line in my view- disclose classified information and you need to go to federal prison.

I wonder how his fellow SEALs feel about this.

It may have been a public announcement, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was a breach of both national trust and national security.

The fact that he violated the NDA and spoke out, leaves not only him open but his team members. He can't beat the radar on this one.
I have a feeling that because of the importance of his actions in GWOT he will get a slap on the face and dissapear quietly under Federal Witness Protection.

It should be noted that the "mission accomplished" banner was not for bush, but rather the sailors on board had had it up as they were on their return voyage from the area of conflict, celibrating that they had accomplished their mission, which they did. Obviously perception is reality, and bush & co. should have said "wait a sec, this might look kind of bad to some people with the prez standing in front of it"...which it did. But, I truly do believe that it wasn't Bush being vain on purpose, but rather a lack of attention to detail.

Either way, I don't think that that situation is comparable to the UBL raid. A more accurate comparison would be the capture of Saddaam, or the killing of AMZ. To this day, most folks on the street would be unable to answer "who got saddaam" or "who killed AMZ"...hell most probably don't even know who AMZ is. But I don't think there is a single soul on American soil that couldn't answer "who got UBL".

As far as the book goes, I think the reason we see alot more SEALs in the media is that it is a way different culture than other SOF units. Anyone who has worked with them before (I have on two of my five trips) can see the difference in culture. I'm sure there are many members on this board that can back me up on that. I can only speak of the Ranger attitude, but within the Regiment OPSEC is upheld to an almost draconian standard. To this day, I get a guilty feeling just talking about some of the threads that we have on this forum. I'm not saying that that is necessarily right, but you can also point to the fact that there are VERY few Ranger books out there. Honestly, I think most people don't really give a shit about the 75th b/c they never hear about us, and assume we don't do anything besides walk around in the woods with ropes slung across us. You can point to the same with AFSOC, very few books about those guys. Again, I don't think most people even know about them. SF has had quite a few books written, but I would say the majority are not authored by an SF soldier himself, rather the books are written about them, with a few exceptions. But, you can definately tell the difference in culture when working with AFSOC or SF, or other SOF units, as opposed to working with SEALS/DEVGRU.

I know for a fact that not all SEALs are the book publishing types, and I'm not trying to mass stereotype here, but I don't think many folks who have worked with them before are ever suprised when they see a SEAL in the headlines or on the book shelf.

And on top of everything else, pay particular attention to the very last line. :rolleyes:

Special operations chief Adm. Bill McRaven warned his troops, current and former, that he would take legal action against anyone found to have exposed sensitive information that could cause fellow forces harm.We will pursue every option available to hold members accountable, including criminal prosecution where appropriate," the four-star commander wrote, in an open, unclassified letter emailed to the active-duty special operations community Thursday, and obtained by The Associated Press.

The warning came a day after a retired Navy commando revealed he is publishing a first-hand account of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. Pentagon officials say they have not been given a chance to review the book. It also follows a media campaign by special operations veterans, decrying alleged leaks by President Barack Obama's administration of secret operations, and criticizing Obama's highlighting the raid as part of his reelection campaign. McRaven also took former special operators to task for "using their 'celebrity' status to advance their personal or professional agendas."

He acknowledged that former service members are "well within their rights to advocate for certain causes or write books about their adventures," but he cautioned them against claiming to speak for all special operations troops and against endangering troops by what they write. News broke Wednesday that one of the SEALs McRaven commanded on the bin Laden raid would be releasing his book, "No Easy Day," on Sept. 11, with the author listed under the pseudonym of Mark Owen. The author was identified Thursday by Fox News as Matt Bissonnette, who retired from the Navy last summer.

One current and one former U.S. military official confirmed the name, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss military personnel matters.

What a massive, embarrassing clusterfuck.

I've seen places on the internet where the guy's address and phone number were already posted- although I don't know the accuracy of it. The comments alongside it are basically egging on Al Qaeda to pay him a visit (frome extreme Leftist anti-military types). And while I doubt he personally has any kind of fear of that kind of thing about himself, the stress is the family. Can you watch your family with your head on a swivel 24/7 for the next 2 decades? I doubt it. Can the other men in that unit now accept that new reality as well? In the back of your mind- way deep down in there- every barbecue, every funny looking cab driver, every lost driver passing through your neighborhood while your kids play in the back yard- I can just imagine the paranoia factor will peek out every so often. Basically the hero of half a billion fanatics was wasted by you and your team, and now your identity is known. I'd say it is perfectly reasonable to be concerned.

Persec has fallen by the wayside for a long time now because there hasn't really been an attack or kidnapping or targeted murder of a US service-person, but the first time it happens, assholes are going to pucker, and we're going to remember in this country what the point of persec used to be. I'm embarrassed of how this has marred the integrity of the Naval Service.

I don't think he is in any danger at all, which is probably one of the reasons people like him write books like this with such impunity. Have there been any targeted attacks against any SOF servicemembers inside the US since... well, ever? I can't think of any. And I think people like McRaven and McChrystal would be more lucrative targets than the "shooters."

There have been targeted attacks against VIP's, General Officers, etc., with rocket attacks, mortars, sniper fire (even at VIP aircraft on the tarmac in a few cases) and there have been attacks against service-members at something just shy of random, but I do agree there haven't been any blatant targeted attacks against SOF members.

But this situation seems different, sir, in the sense that here we have the name & address of one of the guys who killed the most famous Islamic radical in modern history. If coordinated retaliation is not likely, if anything it is because our forces have substantially attrited those with genuine capabilities of attacking, not because there won't be a desire for retaliation. Even so, there's always the chance of a Pim Fortuyn or a Salman Rushdie declaration, or a Geert Wilders open "contract" on the guy. In my opinon, this is sort of uncharted waters with the nature of Bin Laden being so high profile.

My 2c.

There have been targeted attacks against VIP's, General Officers, etc., with rocket attacks, mortars, sniper fire (even at VIP aircraft on the tarmac in a few cases) and there have been attacks against service-members at something just shy of random,

In the US?

In the US?
Ah, that is a critical detail- and no. I neglected that in Mara's post. The incidents I mentioned regarding VIPs and General Officers were all overseas, not CONUS.

Specifically within the US there have been a few cases where service members have been targeted by shooters- including recruiting stations, an instance where military members were seated in a restaurant and were targeted because they were wearing camouflage utilities, and perhaps one might even add the Ft. Hood incident to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back