Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully expect he will be criticized for the book, and there may be some justification for it. I guess we'll have to see what happens when the book is released.

But I fail to see what that has to do with this thread.

The most striking difference between McChrystal's work and Owen's book is that McChrystal submitted his manuscript for proper vetting. He may be criticized, but not for the same reasons. That's one book I'll read.

Yea this film shouldn't piss off any Islamists.. Brought to you by the same Liberal POS that made the worst film ever on the conflict. I think the "information" released in this and the controversy this will bring will hold the DOD from prosecuting the author of this book. In fact I assert they don't want to "GO THERE" because of the back lash it could cause.

Yeah. That's me. Sensitive.
As a Wolverine. 8-)
Wolverines are not the most sensitive creatures. Have you ever read anything about wolverines? They are quite vicious. I am beginning to think you don't mean what you type. Wait! I get it. You mean you ARENT sensitive.

So you are saying that, instead of actually being brought to tears by that SEAL's sentiments (hence your need to pass a tissue), you were being sarcastic and poking fun at his choice of words.

That would beg me to ask- when you were on the SEAL teams, what was an acceptable reaction to the blatant breach of a NDA and the resultant treatment of that individual in the Team rooms, and in the community? Furthermore, how would you prefer the SEALs express that to people that don't understand the community?

It doesn't seem any officials vetted the material, and that's a problem.

Bottom line in my view- disclose classified information and you need to go to federal prison.

I wonder how his fellow SEALs feel about this.

It may have been a public announcement, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was a breach of both national trust and national security.

An acquaintance of mine, ( he is a "Girl Scout" by his own definition) has had several occasions over more than a decade, to personally interact with said "author". Until the release of this book, he had very high opinion of said "author", now....not so much. I am on page 70 right now. I am by no means any expert in OPSEC, but from my limited knowledge, it does not appear that he has given readers much actionable intel. Again, coming from me, that might not mean shit. While I fully understand that this clearly flies in the face of a long standing SOC ethos of, " the less said the better", is there any redeeming value in 1/2 the profits being invested in helping wounded warriors and their families? As an uninformed civilian, I am torn by this situation. I absolutely love, eat and breath this type of info and am so glad to have books out like Lone Survivor, SEAL of Honor, Victory Point, Service, etc etc. Conversely, I don't want to contribute financially to something that may in fact compromise the safety and security of any operators or more importantly, their families.

I am torn by this situation. I absolutely love, eat and breath this type of info and am so glad to have books out like Lone Survivor, SEAL of Honor, Victory Point, Service, etc etc. Conversely, I don't want to contribute financially to something that may in fact compromise the safety and security of any operators or more importantly, their families.

So, you're torn by this?

I am on page 70 right now.

Doesn't appear so.

So, you're torn by this?

Doesn't appear so.
Trust me, I labored over this purchase. Please understand that as an outsider, I cannot see this issue with the same level of detail as those in the know. There is a part of me that would like to see you guys getting financially rewarded for your service in a more generous fashion. It sickens me to watch all these pop culture Peacocks raking it in for acting like felons and assholes, while those who stand in the face of real threats, are forced into situations of financial duress and worry about supporting their/your families. I asked my "acquaintance" if I should NOT buy this book, so as not to support an unacceptable situation? I can only act under the assumption that this author is an honorable man and would not jeopardize his brothers. My acquaintance feels that is a fair assumption. My understanding is that the money is going to help our Military. As a devoted member of the Patriot Guard Riders, I invest as much as I can to that end. Trust me, if the overwhelming opinion among the members of this board is that I've contributed $ to a potential breach, I will be nothing short of sick to my stomach. I am still interested in knowing the opinions of those here regarding this issue.

I didn't either, until my buddy told me he was pissed at him for writing it, as were other war fighters.

Why not give directly to Wounded Warrior Project, Semper Fi Fund or the like directly without buying a book? O_o

i never thought of not buying it..
lol

I guess my morals suck?
Yeah no shit, I guess I suck. I went to the bookstore, flipped through it and was like, "Hum there's enough classified/sensitive/shit I don't know in here that I'm going to buy it."

Wolverines are not the most sensitive creatures. Have you ever read anything about wolverines? They are quite vicious. I am beginning to think you don't mean what you type. Wait! I get it. You mean you ARENT sensitive.

So you are saying that, instead of actually being brought to tears by that SEAL's sentiments (hence your need to pass a tissue), you were being sarcastic and poking fun at his choice of words.

Now you've got it. :thumbsup:

Now you've got it. :thumbsup:
Phew, for a minute there my brain really started to hurt. Thinking is HARD. :D

Did you assume the second half of that post was rhetorical, or are you willfully ignoring the questions? I'll re-write them.

When you were on the SEAL teams, what was an acceptable reaction to the blatant breach of a NDA and the resultant treatment of that individual in the Team rooms, and in the community? Furthermore, how would you prefer the SEALs express that to people that don't understand the community?

Phew, for a minute there my brain really started to hurt. Thinking is HARD. :D

Did you assume the second half of that post was rhetorical, or are you willfully ignoring the questions? I'll re-write them.

When you were on the SEAL teams, what was an acceptable reaction to the blatant breach of a NDA and the resultant treatment of that individual in the Team rooms, and in the community? Furthermore, how would you prefer the SEALs express that to people that don't understand the community?

When have I stated I served with a SEAL Team?

My post wasn't a reflection on what NDA's may or may not have been breached, it was an observation that the over the top sentiment expressed in the article was more akin to the kind of thing one might read in a Mills and Boon novel.

Perhaps Mr Owen may have some competition, SEAL Team romance stories could be the next big hit.

Yea, I was pretty far out of my lane, since I had nothing real to contribute with my original (and subsequent) posts. My original post was nothing more than a pithy, armchair quarterback, after the fact snipe, and this conversation would actually be better had I not said it. At least, it would be no different if it was gone.

Furthermore, I'll be a little more careful before talking shit openly about a grown man that I have never met, because I read the stickies and rules/FAQ to this site. Because that's how grown men in the SOF community treat each other. My bad, won't happen again.
There. I fixed it for you.

About the only reason I haven't killed this thread is that it has taken on a life of its own. The last few pages show an old and decrepit life.

The next couple of responses will determine if I euthanize or not.

If someone's going to publish articles/stories/posts on the internet, then others can be expected to comment on them.

I've got a mind of my own, opinions of my own and I'll post up what I want.
If some people don't like it, then that's just too bad.
It's called freedom of speech, something which I believe is a heated subject right now, depending on what country you live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back