Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have to disagree with this as it is simply factually wrong. Everything you do while maintaining a Secret or Top Secret clearance is not classified. Not everything is OPSEC and I think that the military could do a better job explaining what information is OPSEC and what isn't because a lot of people run around thinking that every bit of information somehow relates to OPSEC.
Maybe today it is. All I can do is refer to my time in the 75th in the late 80's and early 90's. We were told we couldn't talk about anything to anyone NOT in the unit. PERIOD. Even when we deployed for training, the only people who were allowed to be told when and where, were spouses. And yes, we were threatened with UCMJ prosecution if we violated OPSEC. At the minimum, you were booted from the unit.

Im sure shit is different these days for sure, considering how much is out in the open today. I used to ride on black helo's, and had interaction with Delta when the two groups were only a myth/legend. And I wish it was still the case..........

The irony here that comes to mind is one of our nation's largest worldwide op ever undertaken, not classified, but viewed by all the rest of the world who sat and watched in awe as he conducted it. And when it was over and everything was said and done, he kept his mouth shut. Didn't have to or told to, he just did.

Never bragged about it, used it to pursue fame or fortune or sought out the spotlight for dollars, and very well could have become extremely rich, without worry of exposing anything classified. He chose another road. One less traveled, more humble and silent. He rarely appeared in the media and remained a steadfast, quiet professional.

Potential book writers could learn something from the example set by Neil Armstrong.

Wishful thinking, yeah. But in my own book of lessons learned in life, he's the golden standard.

Maybe today it is. All I can do is refer to my time in the 75th in the late 80's and early 90's. We were told we couldn't talk about anything to anyone NOT in the unit. PERIOD. Even when we deployed for training, the only people who were allowed to be told when and where, were spouses. And yes, we were threatened with UCMJ prosecution if we violated OPSEC. At the minimum, you were booted from the unit.

Im sure shit is different these days for sure, considering how much is out in the open today. I used to ride on black helo's, and had interaction with Delta when the two groups were only a myth/legend. And I wish it was still the case..........

I completely respect your principled stance of this topic and wish that others would give this some thought.

Off topic, kind of, but Major Meadows trained me once and at the time he seemed like that kind of man, and humble. Did he ever write anything about all the things he did? If so, I never saw it.

I had the privilege of both serving with his son and meeting his father. Both men were cut from the exact same piece of cloth, and, yes. They too were and are the epitome of Quiet Professionals.

Believe me, if Dick had ever written a book on his life, you would have known about it. He went before his time and deserved a better shot over one thing in life he could not control, and remained courageous until he went. All the missions he participated in, and the secrets he knew, remain with him to this day.

I had the privilege of both serving with his son and meeting his father. Both men were cut from the exact same piece of cloth, and, yes. They too were and are the epitome of Quiet Professionals.

Believe me, if Dick had ever written a book on his life, you would have known about it. He went before his time and deserved a better shot over one thing in life he could not control, and remained courageous until he went. All the missions he participated in, and the secrets he knew, remain with him to this day.

He struck me as the kind of man who listened a lot. And did things. He could talk but he chose his words carefully.

A biography about Major Meadows was recently released. Major Meadows is one of my personal heroes and has been since I read about his exploits in a "Tip of the Spear" magazine I found in my dad's office.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Quiet-Professional-American-Warriors/dp/0813133998

Maybe a little off topic, but in all the 60 Minute interviews and a lot of other press, it is being reported that Owen and all the other assaulters were awarded Silver Stars. They also add "with Valor"- which wouldn't make sense as all SS are awarded for valor- so I'm thinking maybe they meant BSM's w/Valor. Would that be a little extreme? I don't even think everyone on the Son Tay raid was decorated for Valor?

I'm in no way taking away from the actions of the guys on the ground, but everyone on here and even the author has said that this was like a 1000 other missions they've done over the last decade of war. So it just seems strange everyone would get the nation's 3rd highest award.

There is a biography on him written by military historian Alan Hoe, who apparently served with MAJ Meadows in 1960.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Quiet-Professional-American-Warriors/dp/0813133998

I'm not much on books like the one behind this thread, but I think I will pick up the books on Major Meadows. I still have my hand-written scribbles from his training, trying to take notes while worn out and beat to shit. :zzz: :D He gave us a detailed run down on Son Tay (sp?). A year or so later he was on the ground in Tehran. I'd have given my left nut to have been there with him. I think he carried his balls around in a wheel barrow.

Keep in mind, these books were written about him by men that knew him, and not by him.
And I think that's what makes him such a great soldier. The fact other people want to tell his story, specifically his friends and coworkers, speaks volumes about him as a person.

Maybe a little off topic, but in all the 60 Minute interviews and a lot of other press, it is being reported that Owen and all the other assaulters were awarded Silver Stars. They also add "with Valor"- which wouldn't make sense as all SS are awarded for valor- so I'm thinking maybe they meant BSM's w/Valor. Would that be a little extreme? I don't even think everyone on the Son Tay raid was decorated for Valor?

I'm in no way taking away from the actions of the guys on the ground, but everyone on here and even the author has said that this was like a 1000 other missions they've done over the last decade of war. So it just seems strange everyone would get the nation's 3rd highest award.
Nah not strange at all, and I do believe they probably gave the guys all Silver Stars.

We were all promised JCOMs for participating on the AMZ objectives but didn't get shit. Somebody must have forgot once the paperwork began. haha

Nah not strange at all, and I do believe they probably gave the guys all Silver Stars.

We were all promised JCOMs for participating on the AMZ objectives but didn't get shit. Somebody must have forgot once the paperwork began. haha
Ok that makes sense then. I was a retard last year and actually posted some stupid shit about giving all of them MOHs (I was pretty stupid back then, read my first posts :thumbsdown:). Sucks about you guys not getting that recognition, but at least you all know what you did and can be proud of it :thumbsup:

Just because the way the mission was conducted was like a 1000 others conducted that year, does not mean it carried the same amount of danger, consequences if failed, etc. It's one thing to go do a hit in afghanistan or iraq, quite another to fly under the radar into the heart of a hostile country and do a hit. If shit went wrong, they were a LOOONG way from friendlies. And that little qrf they had sitting out in the desert wasn't going to do shit if abotobad turned into the next mogadishu circa 1993. I don't have a problem with them all being decorated with valorous awards, it was a brave thing they did and any one of them could have turned it down. But thats what makes them and all SOF units special, they live and breathe for a shot at something like that. Doesn't make their actions any less valorous though. I will talk shit and poke fun at DEVGRU specifically and NSW in general all day long, but that doesn't mean I don't think what they have done is anything less than heroic.

Just because the way the mission was conducted was like a 1000 others conducted that year, does not mean it carried the same amount of danger, consequences if failed, etc. It's one thing to go do a hit in afghanistan or iraq, quite another to fly under the radar into the heart of a hostile country and do a hit. If shit went wrong, they were a LOOONG way from friendlies. And that little qrf they had sitting out in the desert wasn't going to do shit if abotobad turned into the next mogadishu circa 1993. I don't have a problem with them all being decorated with valorous awards, it was a brave thing they did and any one of them could have turned it down. But thats what makes them and all SOF units special, they live and breathe for a shot at something like that. Doesn't make their actions any less valorous though. I will talk shit and poke fun at DEVGRU specifically and NSW in general all day long, but that doesn't mean I don't think what they have done is anything less than heroic.
Very well put. I'm an outsider and wanted a little perspective on the matter. It would never be my place to question the courage and valor of men who are out there kicking ass right now.

Dick Meadows was going to do a book with John Plaster but sadly, Dick passed away before that could happen. Damn shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back