Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be surprised if he backed up those words, especially right before the election. The credibility of the current administration when it comes to security leaks... yeah... I can't see them going after a "bona fide hero" when the administration is under suspicion of doing the same, if not worse. They SHOULD do it, but I don't think they have the guts. Which means this guy will probably walk off into the sunset with his millions and his movie deal, and the next guy will see those dollar signs and start writing his own book.

He never even mentions "stealth helicopter" in the entire book. Interesting.

There was a neat little factoid that I didn't know as well. He said that no East Coast SEAL Team was deployed into Afghanistan or Iraq until 2004. That's sad.
East Coast Teams were busy elsewhere. how long it was before non-3rd/5th Group Teams entered the fray?

I would be surprised if he backed up those words, especially right before the election. The credibility of the current administration when it comes to security leaks... yeah... I can't see them going after a "bona fide hero" when the administration is under suspicion of doing the same, if not worse. They SHOULD do it, but I don't think they have the guts. Which means this guy will probably walk off into the sunset with his millions and his movie deal, and the next guy will see those dollar signs and start writing his own book.

I agree, there will be another "Mark Owen" because the law will not be enforced in this case. I think it will be the next guy who throws caution to the wind and publishes a book that will be looking at serious repercussions.

Qoute: " The secretary stopped short of accusing the author of revealing classified information, but said Pentagon officials "are currently reviewing that book to determine exactly, you know, what is classified and what isn't, and where those lines are."
Panetta said the book, which went on sale this week, raises troubling national security questions.
"Well, I think when somebody talks about the particulars of how those operations are conducted, it tells our enemies, essentially, how we operate and what we do to go after them," he said." Unquote

Pentagon officials are still reviewing the book to check for whatever they think is and isn't classified?
The book's been out for days already and they're still revieiwng it? I wonder if they're reading out loud, slowly, maybe using a dictionary to check the big words.

How we operate?
Hmmm....there's a ton of fiction and non-fiction novels already published that provide plenty of information on how bad guys are tracked, monitored and taken out or captured.
The secretary is just blowing hot air, plainly unaware of how much anti-terrorist info is already available in print and on the Net.

Qoute: " The secretary stopped short of accusing the author of revealing classified information, but said Pentagon officials "are currently reviewing that book to determine exactly, you know, what is classified and what isn't, and where those lines are."
Panetta said the book, which went on sale this week, raises troubling national security questions.
"Well, I think when somebody talks about the particulars of how those operations are conducted, it tells our enemies, essentially, how we operate and what we do to go after them," he said." Unquote

Pentagon officials are still reviewing the book to check for whatever they think is and isn't classified?
The book's been out for days already and they're still revieiwng it? I wonder if they're reading out loud, slowly, maybe using a dictionary to check the big words.

How we operate?
Hmmm....there's a ton of fiction and non-fiction novels already published that provide plenty of information on how bad guys are tracked, monitored and taken out or captured.
The secretary is just blowing hot air, plainly unaware of how much anti-terrorist info is already available in print and on the Net.

It takes time to do an investigation, especially for a large book, especially when the investigation is extremely high-profile and needs to be done right the first time. Four days isn't a long time.

I am quite sure the Secretary is quite aware of all the stuff that is already out there. And I hope he starts doing something about it, with this case.

It takes time to do an investigation, especially for a large book, especially when the investigation is extremely high-profile and needs to be done right the first time. Four days isn't a long time.

I am quite sure the Secretary is quite aware of all the stuff that is already out there. And I hope he starts doing something about it, with this case.

They have had a copy before it came out. They got it few days-to a week before it actually hit shelves.

You got more faith in the intellectual resources of the suits than me, amigo. I'm always surprised that the majority can tie their own shoelaces.

I am slowly working my way through the book.

While the DEVGRU acronym is all over the internet, I wish he hadn't used and had just stuck with ST6.

I learned that there were two parachute drops during the Somali Pirate Rescue mission and it appears (not specifically stated) that some SWCC folks were involved.

That may have been classified, but National Security wasn't harmed and won't be.

Those are my only two beefs so far.

If I had written a book one year after Operation Just Cause, detailing the missions that I was involved in, I would have spent the rest of my adult life behind bars.

Secret, Top secret, NDA's, and OPSEC don't mean shit anymore.

To this day, I still haven't told my family jack shit about what I did or didn't do. Why? Because I agreed not to and I was told not to.

Just because one group or one person already opened their yap about shit, does not mean "you" get a pass for doing the same later on down the road.

You want to serve in a unit that requires you to at least have a secret clearance? That means that EVERYTHING you do is to be considered "secret" in regard to training and actual operations.

I hope they make an example out of this guy and they put him away for the rest of his life. Nobody but his own sorry ass endangered him and his family.

Life in prison?
Are you serious ?

I think any further comments on this topic should be reserved for anybody who read the book.

Fact of the matter is the book is completely innocent - I read it in less then two days and even went back to skim over the material. He talks about his life in the SEALs, his time in Green Team which doesn't disclose much of anything about the training other then climbing up a caving ladder when you fuck up. He never mentions troop strength, never refers to the squadrons by any color designation, doesn't even mention any stealth helicopters, doesn't even talk about the Chinook shoot down a couple of months after the raid. He keeps it simple and to the point - that the bin Laden raid was just like any typical raid throughout Afgh/Pakistan. He doesn't talk about the ISI, he doesn't talk about any Pakistani doctor working for the CIA, the only CIA mention he has is in incredible praise to a lady who was working the bin Laden case since 2007. The guy is very likeable, hes not arrogant or egotistical, and he's humble.

Yeah he broke his NDA, but leaking classified information? The government could nitpick the entire book and they wouldn't have a case against him. The DOD and the arm chair commandos behind the keyboards are now just trying to save face because the book turned out to be incredibly innocent. More-so then books like KBL, Wasdin's book, and Blaber's book, etc.

I have nothing else to add.. if you didn't read the book, (fine.. edited).

I think any further comments on this topic should be reserved for anybody who read the book.

You might have a point regards the Opsec/PerSec issues (even then, though, I'm not sure); but one need not read the book to have a valid opinion on the NDA and COC angle (i.e. whether it should have been written in the first place, sans review, and with the excuse "my boss did it first").

A little off topic, but I'd like to ask a question. I had some very limited exposure to Military SOF and Civilian Intel personnel from various other countries. It did not seem to me they had these issues. They very well might have; as I said, my exposure was brief and limited. But I got the general impression of a greater level of maturity which almost seemed cultural, if not individual (yes, there were some real dicks). Have any of you people seen this kind of issue with the SAS, MI6, 262, 269, G9, etc? If so, then I guess I'm off base. But if not, would that be because their individuals are less inclined for personal reasons (NDA enforcement, etc.) or cultural (i.e. their country doesn't have the fascination with violence and reverence for the military that we do and thus the books wouldn't sell or the stories would not get you laid)? And, any anecdotal evidence of them being the same aside, what is your general impression of the phenomena with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back