Breathing while finning (lead arm/trailing arm)

Chase F

Unverified
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from those with experience, preferably those in the USAF side who perform the leading arm trailing arm technique while finning. I've browsed through multiple threads covering finning in general, from MARSOC to SF, but have never seen anything covering breathing patterns.

First off, I want to say that I am beyond an average swimmer when it comes to freestyle. I have a very consistent breathing pattern (every third stroke/alternating sides) that I'm quite comfortable with. However, I can't seem to break in a constistant breathing pattern while finning. Today, in fact, I performed 1000 meters and didn't keep a rythem the entire time (breathing every 3-5 seconds), which I think is because I try harder on some laps vs others as I begin to get smoked. I'm always reminding myself to get relaxed, then recoup and speed up again.

That's where I'm failing, I believe. I know if I can control my breathing/heartbeat, I'll be able to maintain a consistent stride across the pool for larger amounts of time.

So what are you guys doing to compensate? Are you counting your kicks? Counting seconds or intervals of some sort? Any advice would be appreciated!

Some key factors you may want to know;
I am using Rocket fins, and dive mask. 25 meter pool. Retraining for CCT.

If finning just is the way it is, just tell me and I'll suck it up.

Thanks in advance, guys!

So what worked for me is to just breathe normally. Inhale, hum or blow out your air as if it was a normal exhalation, then breathe in, just like you normally would during freestyle, behind the wave caused by your head.

For me (I was a very fast finner, top 5% of my Indoc and Dive teams), it just felt better to breathe like this vs holding my breath or counting kicks or some other techniques.

If I'm not mistaking for what you mean, you are exhaling while your face is submerged -- you keep a fluid breath hold/release and breath when you need to?

I always feel I need to stay under and looking down my arm for longer periods to keep from swaying.. more of a discipline/form type of thing, I guess.

Should have your head glued to your arm, while look straight down to keep from creating that wake. Coach will tell you all about it if you get to Medina. I didn't fin at all at the assessment.

If I'm not mistaking for what you mean, you are exhaling while your face is submerged -- you keep a fluid breath hold/release and breath when you need to?

I always feel I need to stay under and looking down my arm for longer periods to keep from swaying.. more of a discipline/form type of thing, I guess.
Yeah I am not saying I personally hold my breath at all. Breathe in, exhale as normally as possible, breathe in again, with as little head movement (looking forward/down my arm) as @Kheenbish pointed out.

Back