Bush: World must stand united against terrorism

jordan

Verified Military
Tell 'em like it is G. Dub...!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080923/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush

UNITED NATIONS - President Bush, who once expressed disdain for the United Nations, said Tuesday that multinational organizations are now "needed more urgently than ever" to combat terrorists and extremists who are threatening world order.

In his eighth and final speech to the U.N. General Assembly, Bush said the international community must stand firm against the nuclear ambitions of North Korea and Iran. He said that despite past disagreements over the U.S.-led war in Iraq, members of the U.N. must unite to help the struggling democracy succeed. And he scolded Russia for invading neighboring Georgia, calling it a violation of the U.N. charter.

"The United Nations' charter sets forth the equal rights of nations large and small," he said. "Russia's invasion of Georgia was a violation of those words."

Bush called on the international community to rally behind young democracies like Georgia.

"Democracies around the world are watching to see how we respond to this test," Bush said. "The United States has worked with allies in multilateral institutions, like the European Union and NATO, to uphold Georgia's territorial integrity and provide humanitarian relief. ... In this chamber are representatives of Georgia, and Ukraine, and Lebanon, and Afghanistan, and Liberia, and Iraq, and other brave, young democracies. We admire your courage. We honor your sacrifices. We thank you for your inspiring example."

Bush said that instead of issuing statements and resolutions after terrorist attacks, the U.N. and such organizations must work closely to prevent violence. Every nation has responsibilities to prevent its territory from being used for terrorist, drug trafficking and nuclear proliferation, he said.

Bush, who ordered the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq without the U.N.'s blessing, said: "The United Nations and other multilateral organizations are needed more urgently than ever."

His appearance was overshadowed by the U.S. financial markets crisis that has rippled through world markets. Trying to reassure world leaders that his administration is taking decisive action to stem market turmoil, Bush said he is confident that Congress will act in the "urgent time frame required" to prevent broader problem. But he did not ask other nations to take any specific actions.

The president worked to strike a hopeful tone about the war on terrorism, insisting that while regimes like Syria and Iran continue to sponsor terror, "their numbers are growing fewer, and they're growing more isolated from the world." He called on the U.N. membership to stand united against terrorism and tyranny.

"As the 21st century unfolds, some may be tempted to assume that the threat has receded," Bush said. "This would be comforting. It would be wrong. The terrorists believe time is on their side, so they've made waiting out civilized nations part of their strategy. We must not allow them to succeed."

Yes it would.

Bush said that instead of issuing statements and resolutions after terrorist attacks, the U.N. and such organizations must work closely to prevent violence. Every nation has responsibilities to prevent its territory from being used for terrorist, drug trafficking and nuclear proliferation, he said.

Amen.

"Bush, who ordered the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq without the U.N.'s blessing," (article)

While technically, since he is CIC, you might be able to say this. . .

"Um...i don't think this is true... " (Simmerin Sigo)

I tend to agree with Sigo here. It is actually the Congress who authorizes the use of US troops, isn't it?

I can't get multi-quotes to work for some reason

His "overall" rating is down, but I wonder if you took a military ONLY survey, what his numbers would be....and that's from people that have been there done that!

Time for a survey?

....and the survey says.......

Regardless of the honorable and purpose driven decisions he has had the courage and integrity to stand-by faithfully.... there will always be those arm-chair quarterbacks that will gripe and complain.

W is a good man, and a great leader... IMHO.

I still think he was the RIGHT leader to handle our 9/11 tragic event...he had the balls to stand up and basically say "let's deal with this"....I can't even imagine, nor wish to, think about how Special K (Kerry) and the Boy Wonder would have dealt with what our country had hit us. MY opinion only.

I still think he was the RIGHT leader to handle our 9/11 tragic event...he had the balls to stand up and basically say "let's deal with this"....I can't even imagine, nor wish to, think about how Special K (Kerry) and the Boy Wonder would have dealt with what our country had hit us. MY opinion only.

Agreed, but it would have been Al Gore at the time.

Regardless of the honorable and purpose driven decisions he has had the courage and integrity to stand-by faithfully.... there will always be those arm-chair quarterbacks that will gripe and complain.

W is a good man, and a great leader... IMHO.

Speaking as a non arm-chair quarterback, I completely disagree about his leadership skill and decision-making ability. I am also a US paratrooper and will carry out my mission with motivation regardless of my personal opinions.

Whether he's a good man or not makes no difference to me. Fact remains that he's the man in charge, for the time being.

The fact is he is our president, if you like him or not you respect him. My father said that it used to be or atleast with the people he new that you respected the president just for that reason. Now people are scrutinized if you do not hate the guy. Or atleast were I am.

The fact is he is our president, if you like him or not you respect him.

Pardon me, but I disagree with you. You cannot force a man to respect someone, nor can you lawfully order or demand respect. The only thing that we are required to do as soldiers is to obey, follow, and execute the commands that are given to us, which is what I do.

Even according to the seven Army values-- respect is basically treating people as they should be treated. In the case of the President, you simply render the proper courtesy.

You see..."showing respect to someone " is not the same thing as "having respect for someone"
Just as Polar Bear said: (Respect the rank, not the man.)

Bingo.
I think he's a shitty president and has mishandled the war on terror and his response to 9/11 sucked ass... but if I met him, I would respectfuly address him as "Mr. President."

How did his 9/11 response suck? We took over a large foreign country in a matter of days.

Back