Case Study #2: The Loyal Wife

Glad you liked it, it was fun for me to write.

I looked back through the threads and it looks like I never did a "Soul Plane" thread like I said I would. I'll remedy that shortly. The good news is it is a very short story and therefore should be a very short thread. It also looks like I never compiled the entire story of this thread and put it in one file. I'll get around to that as well.

I'll be here in school for the next two years, in that time I think I'll try to complete a novel that entails some of the case studies we've done here on the site, that will be a good hobby for me to have since apparently my gun is illegal in this state :mad: . I'll post it here as I write it, it's fun for me and you guys seem to relish pointing out all my many plot mistakes and misspellings ;)

You should think about your potential to be published, not this scenario but wow you have climatic writing down. You een made me late to the GYM.

Thanks- I'm mulling over some options, I think if I can tie all of the case studies together coherently and edit it pretty thoroughly, it might make a pretty good novel.

Necropost??? It hasn't even been 30 days. This thread wasn't "necro," it was at least "still warm to the touch." :)

The entire thread was an ex-parrott, deceased, expired, pushing up daisies, not breathing, purina worm chow.... you were just poking the carcass with a stick... and don't blame Happy Engineer, he's new he doesn't know any better... he has not endured the prolonged agony of a Case Study yet... and the sublime relief when they finally come to conclusion and slowly fade from memory... therefore - it is all your fault, Sir. :wall:

I actually was in this same position as an E-5 at CAX work up when I found out my wife at the time had a potentially deadly neural condition called Ciari Malformation. This being my potential second deployment with us together she knew the drill and knew that contact between us wouldn't be good during deployment. I got the call on my Satphone one week from deploying. The news devastated me because we were in love and also because I had been working the last 6 months with a team of really good guys we had molded down from a group of 30. We were a well oiled team and we're mentally in the zone. All of us here are familiar with the tunnel vision (that coping mechanism you develop when training at your highest levels), we'll that was busted all to hell. All of a sudden all the distractions that your engrained focus had served to eliminate rushed back in. I'm not saying continuing was impossible but the event needed my attention. I brought the issue up to the platoon commander who ultimately sat with me before the man. We talked about it as adults with mutual respect flowing in copious amounts. Despite my pleas to find a viable solution allowing me to be there for the quickly upcoming surgery and recovery then returning to the team during the deployment, it was decided that "I sit this one out". At first this created some resentment toward my wife but I quickly shook out of it and realized it wasn't her fault. I couldn't be the first to deal with this and I knew the guys were trained to be a man down. My highest level of relief came from the fact that I trained the men in my section as well as I could and was confident that my ATL could step up, and he did.

I was there for the two intensive surgeries and recoveries. The bond between my wife and I had improved and this trial resulted in paralleled compromise for future deployments. The decision was made with me present but at the end of the day it was the more experienced Marines who realized that sometimes it takes some reprogramming to make a clear headed decision. They appreciated my gung-ho mentality and desire to continue on with the mission, but they knew a distracted soldier is a dead soldier. It was the words of the battalion commander that resonated with me the most,"The Marine Corps is a fine gun club but a cold hearted bitch, she will take from you relentlessly, eat you up and spit you out without a thank you. Family is all you have at the end of the day. Take care of those who will be there when your body won't allow you to serve anymore."

I actually was in this same position as an E-5 at CAX work up when I found out my wife at the time had a potentially deadly neural condition called Ciari Malformation. This being my potential second deployment with us together she knew the drill and knew that contact between us wouldn't be good during deployment. I got the call on my Satphone one week from deploying. The news devastated me because we were in love and also because I had been working the last 6 months with a team of really good guys we had molded down from a group of 30. We were a well oiled team and we're mentally in the zone. All of us here are familiar with the tunnel vision (that coping mechanism you develop when training at your highest levels), we'll that was busted all to hell. All of a sudden all the distractions that your engrained focus had served to eliminate rushed back in. I'm not saying continuing was impossible but the event needed my attention. I brought the issue up to the platoon commander who ultimately sat with me before the man. We talked about it as adults with mutual respect flowing in copious amounts. Despite my pleas to find a viable solution allowing me to be there for the quickly upcoming surgery and recovery then returning to the team during the deployment, it was decided that "I sit this one out". At first this created some resentment toward my wife but I quickly shook out of it and realized it wasn't her fault. I couldn't be the first to deal with this and I knew the guys were trained to be a man down. My highest level of relief came from the fact that I trained the men in my section as well as I could and was confident that my ATL could step up, and he did.

I was there for the two intensive surgeries and recoveries. The bond between my wife and I had improved and this trial resulted in paralleled compromise for future deployments. The decision was made with me present but at the end of the day it was the more experienced Marines who realized that sometimes it takes some reprogramming to make a clear headed decision. They appreciated my gung-ho mentality and desire to continue on with the mission, but they knew a distracted soldier is a dead soldier. It was the words of the battalion commander that resonated with me the most,"The Marine Corps is a fine gun club but a cold hearted bitch, she will take from you relentlessly, eat you up and spit you out without a thank you. Family is all you have at the end of the day. Take care of those who will be there when your body won't allow you to serve anymore."

What Marine ever refers to himself as a soldier???

Back