Case Study: Karma

It's not that Mara is a liar, it's that the Army made him release his NCOs for leave since their accruals were getting into the 270 day territory... and Mara has to have NCOs do the work so he can take the credit.:p

Too true! Next year I'll just cancel Christmas, that way everyone can work hard on making me look good 365 days a year ;)

In your case, reliving your youth only to get an outsider's perspective this time...:ROFLMAO:

No kidding! Thankfully there's an Army fellow (he's at our school in lieu of the War College) so there is one person older than me in the program. I'm even older than a lot of the professors :-/

No kidding! Thankfully there's an Army fellow (he's at our school in lieu of the War College) so there is one person older than me in the program. I'm even older than a lot of the professors :-/

That's because you haven't made a career out of being an academic.

Thanks everyone for your patience, here's the newest installment in this case study.

After the meeting you make your way down the hallway to the Chief of Staff’s office. You can see the Group S2’s contingent is already seated around the table. You let out an audible sigh, mentally gearing up for what is probably going to be a contentious meeting. Just before you go in, MSG Reynolds places a hand on your arm. “Hey sir, there’s something I’ve been meaning to talk to you about. I know you and the S2 don’t get along, but it would be great if we could try to work something out. Guys like you and me are OK but the younger guys get caught in the middle. And they see the way you talk to the major and NCOIC, and they think they can get away with it too.” You think about this for a second, then respond, “Fair enough. I’ll try to play nice with the S2 from now on, at least in public. But if I’m going to make nice-nice with The Dud, I want you to do something for me. PLEASE stop antagonizing the DCO about his missing finger.” The DCO lost a part of his right index finger during an operation in Afghanistan, and for some reason Reynolds just can’t help but antagonize him about it. Both the missing finger and Reynolds’ making light of it make you inexplicably uncomfortable. Reynolds’ serious face melts away into a smile. “No promises, sir,” he says, entering the room and sliding into a seat.

You notice to your annoyance that one of the assistant S2s has occupied “your” usual seat at the table. There are no assigned seats per se, but by custom and common sense, the primary staff officers, the commanders, and the DCO sit at the main table, and the secondaries and NCOICs sit in the chairs along the wall, since there is not enough room for everyone at the table. You’re about to tell him to get his ass out of your seat when you remember your promise to Reynolds to play nice, and realize how ridiculous you’d sound telling him to vacate “your” seat. You drag a chair up to the table and ask the assistant S2- very nicely- if he could move over and give you room. As you ease your chair up under the table, the assistant S2 looks uncomfortable with the lack of space. Good.

Everyone in the room rises when the DCO enters the room. He looks uncharacteristically happy, which makes you relax a bit; normally when you’re in the DCO’s office, it’s to be on the receiving end of an ass chewing. Hopefully today doesn’t end that way. The DCO notices MSG Reynolds sitting behind you. “MSG Reynolds, your hair looks a bit long for someone who just came out on the E9 list,” says the DCO. From the smile on his face, it’s clear he’s kidding and this is his way of congratulating MSG Reynolds on his pending promotion. MSG Reynolds is ready to give it right back. “Thanks for ‘pointing’ that out, sir,” he replies with his right index finger pointed towards the ceiling. You groan inwardly; you don’t know how Reynolds gets away with making fun of the DCO for his war wound, you’re quite confident any officer who tried to joke about it would end up getting chopped in the throat. The DCO laughs and then turns to business.

“OK, as you all know, we are getting a group of intel lieutenants,” says the DCO. “We’re getting five second lieutenants straight out of the schoolhouse, and two first lieutenants who have just done a tour in Korea. The first order of business is to figure out where they’re going to be assigned.”

The Group S2 takes this as his cue to speak up. As soon as he starts talking, you feel yourself cringe. Just listening to The Dud speak is a painful experience. “So, um, we’ve got, ah, five 2LTs and, uh, 2 1LTs,” he says, as if he needed to repeat what the DCO just stated. “And, uh, the new Group MTOE, um, shows one 2LT as the assistant MID commander at, um, each battalion, and, um, one 1LT at the, um, Group S2, and, ah, one 1LT at the Group Support, um, company.” You glance back at Reynolds and see that he, like you, is counting the number of times that the Group S2 uses filler words like “um,” “ah,” and “uh.” Right now by your count he’s at 10, but the single-meeting record is well over 200.

You work through the Group S2’s ridiculous inability to speak coherently and decipher what he just said. “Wait a minute,” you interject, “you’re going to send a bunch of brand-new second lieutenants straight from the schoolhouse down to support an SF Battalion? A couple of problems with this. First of all, the lieutenants, God bless them, don’t know anything about anything. Their ability to contribute to the SF is zero. Less than zero, because the battalions are going to have to take time to train them up. And besides, what are you going to have them do, be assistant MID ‘commanders?’ Does a guy in charge of 12 people really need another officer to help him run things?”

"Additionally, if you send brand-new 2LTs down into an SF battalion, where they will be unsupervised and underutilized, around a bunch of people who by their very nature operate under a different set of rules than the rest of the Army, they will learn terrible habits and will be absolutely RUINED when they have to go to a Big Army unit. Your LT days are the days to make mistakes and learn leadership; after they leave here they won't be lieutenants anymore, they'll be capatains, and their future bosses will have captain-level expectations of them. We're setting them up by failure by sending them straight down to the Battalions." As you finish speaking, you see all of the other commanders nodding in agreement.

“That’s where the MTOE says they belong,” the S2 says defensively.

“Right, and SF is reknowned for always following the rules," you say, rolling your eyes. Before the S2 can reply, the DCO speaks up.

"You have a better idea, CPT Faith?" he asks.

"Roger sir. You take all of those lieutenants and you give them to me. I make the most senior one my XO, and the rest of them will be platoon leaders. That gets them some leadership experience and a chance to get their legs underneath them. Then, as we think they're ready, we rotate them down into the battalions. Sending brand new butter-bars straight into the battalions is a disaster waiting to happen."

The DCO considers this for a moment. "That's a really good idea," he says, "but there are some other MTOE changes that are coming as well that make that idea moot. We'll talk about them after this meeting. We were originally slated to get eight lieutenants but now we're only getting seven," he says. Continuing, he adds: "The lieutenants will be split up as follows: one each to the three battalions. Scratch that, I mean four battalions; each Group is getting another battalion on the new MTOE. Four go to the Battalions, two go to the Group S2 shop, one will go to the GSC, to serve as the GSC S2.”

“An S2? For the GSC?” you ask, incredulous. You know from the DCO’s tone that the decision has been made and no further discussion is desired, but you can’t help yourself. You glance over at the Group S2, who is grinning broadly; clearly he “won” the fight over the lieutenants. You’re about to say something to wipe that shit-eating grin off his face when you feel MSG Reynolds tapping your chair with his foot. You know what that signal means without even having to look back at him; “give it a rest.”

“OK fine,” you say sullenly, “Then I want the most senior lieutenant.”

“I bet you do,” says the Group S2, and he and the rest his minions snicker.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” you reply.

“Oh nothing, I’m sure the fact that you want the only female lieutenant never even crossed your mind.”

Now you’re REALLY pissed. “What the hell are you talking about? Not only do I not know anything about the lieutenants, I didn’t even know we were GETTING any lieutenants until about…” you look down at your watch, “20 minutes ago. Great job on sharing THAT information in advance.” MSG Reynolds’ the tapping on your chair has now turned into a gentle kick.

“1LT(P) Delano, being female, cannot go to either the battalions or to the GSC,” says the DCO, taking control of the meeting again. “Everything below Group level is coded male-only. Delano goes to the Group S2 shop. CPT Faith, the GSC will get the next-most-senior lieutenant. Looks like that is… 1LT Charles Castelli.”

This news stuns you into silence for a second. The GSC is getting Castelli? Things might not be so bad after all. “Yeah, OK sir, that will be fine,” you say.
“Well I’m glad you approve,” says the S2, snottily. That’s it, you think, game on…

Just before things really explode, CPT Criss leans forward and interjects, “Sir,” he says to the DCO, “As much as I enjoy a good catfight between MI weenies, might I suggest we move on to new business?”

“Yes, I think we will do that,” he replies, glaring at both you and the S2. “MAJ Dudley, CPT Faith, see me after this meeting.” Now you’re not only pissed off, you know you’re going to get an ass chewing from the DCO after the meeting. Great. “0h for seven” on the lieutenants, and an ass chewing on top of it to boot.

The next part of the meeting is routine Command and Staff, with commanders and staff primaries briefing their last week of training and projecting six weeks out. You’re only half-listening as the others talk; you’re hungry and pissed off an anxious about the ass chewing you are going to get from the DCO. When it’s his turn to talk again, the S2 says he’ll be taking leave for a week in the next month. Suspicious, you look at the training calendar and confirm that the week the S2 will be on leave is the date of the big quarterly intel inspection. The Group S2 has a reputation for skipping out on these inspections and leaving it to his assistants and NCOs. The inspections are a pain in the ass, to be sure, but the Group S2 seems to unnaturally fearful of them and takes any opportunity to be elsewhere when the inspectors arrive. It is your belief that everyone in Group secretly is happy with that arrangement.

Your turn to brief is last. Just before you start to talk, the door opens and CPT James walks in. Everyone looks at him in kind of stunned silence; to interrupt a meeting held by the DCO, there had better be a major emergency threatening life, limb, or eyesight. “Hey sir,” says James, “here is the copy of that Pakistan brief you wanted.” Unconcerned by all the sets of eyes staring at him, James walks over to the DCO, lays a CD and some papers on his desk, and turns to walk out. As he does no, he noticed a pile of Starbursts on the corner of the DCO’s desk and helps himself to a couple as he walks out. In your mind’s eye, you see the DCO drawing a commando dagger from some hidden recess in his desk and severing CPT James’ offending fingers. But he doesn’t, and CPT James manages to walk out of the room with his digits intact. No one says a word for a second, then CPT Criss chimes in, “Well, that was unexpected!” and everyone laughs. The incident, while bizarre, serves to lighten the mood.

Returning to business, you brief the DCO on last week’s training, talk him through next week’s, and start talking about plans for the upcoming weeks. You mention that 6 of your Soldiers are scheduled for Pathfinder training the same week as the upcoming inspection, and that their loss will leave you a bit short-handed during the inspection. You know MSG Reynolds has already talked it over with the Group S2 NCOIC to have their guys help cover the inspection, it’s not really a big deal.

“Sir,” you say to the DCO, “We’re losing 6 guys to Pathfinder training during that time period, we’re asking the Group S2 folks to help us out during the inspection.” You decide not to add, “even though it’s their damn job to do it in the first place, not ours.”
The S2 lets out an exasperated sigh. “If you don’t have enough people to cover down on the inspection, then why are you letting people go to Pathfinder School?” he says in his “gotcha” voice.

“This isn’t Pathfinder School you idiot, this is Pathfinder Database training, you know, admin intel work? The stuff that YOUR shop is supposed to be doing? Maybe if you weren’t so terrified of failing another inspection you could actually be here when the inspectors show up so the rest of us don’t get stuck doing YOUR job. Again.” You would have continued your little rant, but MSG Reynolds kicked the back of your chair so hard that it rocked you forward in your seat.

The S2, his face beet red, stammers ineffectively in response before managing to blurt out, “FUCK YOU!”

The DCO slams his hand on the desk. “That’s it, were done here. Everyone out,” he says firmly. “Not you two, he says, pointing at you and the S2.

As the rest of the commanders and staff file out, CPT Beverly catches your eye and offers a wan smile of support. CPT Criss, grinning, shakes his head as he walks out. MSG Reynolds claps you on your shoulder as he gets up to leave. “Good luck with that, sir,” he says, making a beeline for the door. As the door closes behind you, you feel a sinking sensation in the pit of your stomach. At least the DCO waited until his door was shut before he started yelling.

Damn, Captain. Your MSgt is REALLY trying to keep you out of trouble and you aren't helping a bit.

If I was MSgt Reynolds, you & I would be having another discussion once the DCO is done with you... :D

Yeah, CPT Faith is a bit of a hothead. Just think about how much trouble he'd be in if his NCOs weren't around to keep him straight- or worse yet, if they didn't have their support...:sick:

Are you sure this is a case study and not a fricken Mexican soap opera? Too much damn drama.

Yeah, CPT Faith is a bit of a hothead. Just think about how much trouble he'd be in if his NCOs weren't around to keep him straight- or worse yet, if they didn't have their support...:sick:

If he keeps up with the immature attitude, he's going to lose that support due to the fact that his enlisted guys will eventually get shit on by the S2. I completely agree with 0699 and the MSG needs to have a direct one-way "chat" with the CPT.

What's really eating at the back of my brain is the way "Dud" bails for every S2 inspection, when he's the S2... there has to be a reason this happens and it cannot be good... the fact he will be have the only female 1LT, knew the staffing profiles first and knew that the only place she could be tasked was to his shop says something that bodes ill for the entire staff...

CPT Faith is blessed with a good MSG... one who is going to kick his ass instead of his chair one of these days. Oh, those 2LTs are going to be screwed for the rest of their careers if ther eare not good CPTs/MAJs in each of the BN S2 shops/SOTAs.

What's really eating at the back of my brain is the way "Dud" bails for every S2 inspection, when he's the S2... there has to be a reason this happens and it cannot be good... the fact he will be have the only female 1LT, knew the staffing profiles first and knew that the only place she could be tasked was to his shop says something that bodes ill for the entire staff...

Or maybe his section prefers it that way. I've done it before. "Hey LT, this would be a good week for you to be gone on leave." "Why Gunny?" "Because you don't have a clue about what's going on and if you're gone they can't ask you questions." :-"

CPT Faith is blessed with a good MSG... one who is going to kick his ass instead of his chair one of these days. Oh, those 2LTs are going to be screwed for the rest of their careers if ther eare not good CPTs/MAJs in each of the BN S2 shops/SOTAs.

Or good SNCOs (cough, cough) :ninja:

Holy shit, this has become full on handbags at dawn material.

The only solution is to challenge "The Dud" to a knife fight.

When you eventually come out of the DCO’s office, you find MSG Reynolds casually leaning against a wall. “You’re still here?” you ask. “What, I was going to miss an ass chewing like that?” he replies. “Let’s go eat, you can tell me all about it.” Food is good, food will help bring you out of your funk.
The drive to lunch is short; a left turn out of the parking lot of the Group headquarters, and then a right turn into the parking lot of the Schabenhab Club. Named after a famous WWII veteran, the Schabenhab is an on-post club that serves lunch and dinner, and serves as a night spot for the junior enlisted. The potent combination of alcohol, young troops, and local women make for an explosive combination. The post provost marshall calls it the “Stab and Jab” because of the number of fights that break out in the club. While you have never been there at night except when you had Courtesy Patrol duty, they do serve a good lunch. MSG Reynolds tries to make small talk during the drive, but you’re in no mood to talk.

“Come on sir,” he says after he parks, “you’ve gotten your ass chewed MUCH worse than that before. Surely you’re not all butt-hurt over a couple of lieutenants? What’s the problem now, the DCO make you apologize to the S2 or something?” Although the DCO did, in fact, make you apologize to The Dud, that’s not really what is on your mind.

“They’re dissolving the MID,” you say slowly.

“What!?” exclaims MSG Reynolds, incredulously.

“That’s what the DCO wanted to talk to the S2 and me about after the meeting. Under the new MTOE, the company goes away; the SOTAs, SOTBs, HUMINTers and CI guys are all going down to the battalions. The All-Source guys and the terrain team are going to the S2 shop,” you explain.

“WTF, what are we going to be left with?” Reynolds inquires.

“The 09Ls and the other ash-and-trash no one else wanted,” you reply. “About twelve to twenty total. And the position is no longer captain-coded; it’s a 1LT “detachment command” billet now.”

“Wow,” Reynolds mutters. “When is this going to happen?”

“As soon as the Group S1 shop can cut orders, and the Group S4 PBO shop can do the property transfers,” you say.

“So, that will be… never?” Reynold’s joke about the glacial workspeed of the S1 and S4 shops is funny but you don’t laugh because you’ve become distracted by something. When you pulled into the parking lot, you noticed CPT James standing outside his car, door open, beret off, looking off into the distance as if he were waiting for someone. Throughout your conversation with Reynolds he continues to stand there, ignoring the salutes and salutations from the intermittent stream of young troops and NCOs who passed him. When a knot of field grade officers passes James and he ignores them as well, they look back at him disapprovingly but say nothing. You want to continue the conversation with Reynolds, but James is probably about to get jacked up by a passing colonel or sergeant major for not wearing his headgear outdoors and for not returning/rendering salutes. What, if anything, should you and MSG Reynolds do?

Damn..... WAY outside my experience level so I can't comment except to say that I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I like where this is going but please don't tell me this is from your personal experience as the CO of the MID in the GSC.

I like where this is going but please don't tell me this is from your personal experience as the CO of the MID in the GSC.

NO, NO, NO.... this is a fictionalized account of items that may or may not have ever happened, but are the product of a twisted officer mind without the mitigating effects of GOOD NCO editing, mentoringk and censoring.... and we still don't know what happened to Chief and why she hasn't reappeared as a force for good in this story, maybe she'll come in to the story and assist the MSG in saving the young CPT Faith from himself at some point in the story... this is TV, right?

Holy shit, this has become full on handbags at dawn material.

The only solution is to challenge "The Dud" to a knife fight.

"Handbags at dawn," I think that's pretty clever. That may have to work its way into the story.

Ok... so... my plan to have this story completed by Christmas obvious didn't happen :-/ A combination of me wanting to take the story in a completely different direction than what I had planned, and way more crap going on during the break than I had anticipated. I think I'm just going to have to go with, "the story will be finished when it's finished" from now on, lol.

At any rate, here's the next installment:

You nod towards CPT James. “I think we better go take care of that before the Group sergeant major drives by,” you tell Reynolds. “Roger,” he replies.

As you walk towards CPT James, you intercept an angry-looking infantry lieutenant colonel who was part of the crowd of officers who had passed James earlier. “We’ve got this, sir,” you say to him, snapping off your sharpest salute. Somewhat mollified, he heads back to his car.

“Hey Al, I’d think that after all of the effort that went into earning that beret, you’d want to wear it every chance you got,” you say, trying to use humor. He seems startled that you’re speaking to him. “Hey,” he says, recognizing the two of you, “What are we doing here?”

“Um, I think we’re all here to eat lunch,” MSG Reynolds replies. “Why don’t you put your cover on and we’ll all get a table together.”

“My hat is on my head,” he says emphatically. You and Reynolds look at each other. CPT James’ green beret is rolled up and sticking out of the top of his right cargo pocket. There is nothing on his head.
You deftly reach across and retrieve his beret out of his pocket. “Here you go, brother,” you say, putting it into his hands, “let’s go eat.” At this, CPT James’ face turns bright red. Snatching up his beret, he places it, crookedly, on his head. “Don’t ever touch another man’s green beret!” he shouts, taking a step towards you and poking you in the chest with a thick finger. “It’s bad karma! If you wanted to touch a green beret, you could have stepped up and gone to the Q course. But that’s why you’re wearing a red beret instead!”

Out of the corner of your eye, you see MSG Reynolds looking alarmed. The last time someone poked you in the chest in a parking lot much like this one, a fistfight ensued. But there will be no such confrontation today, you don’t even feel angry. You just feel so… defeated. “Right,” is all you can think of to say. James whirls around and stomps off towards the front door of the club. You close his car door for him and follow a short distance behind. With his hat now on, he seems to have remembered how to salute. That’s good, at least. You notice that James keeps going right past the front door, towards the side of the building. Maybe he needs to use the ATM or something, you muse.

“Damn, sir, the way this day is going for you maybe we should just call it a day and go to the Cat West instead of Stab and Jab for lunch,” Reynolds says. You smile; you know you’re very lucky to have a friend and co-worker like him. “No, it’s all good, we’re already here and my wife would kill me if we went to Cat West,” you reply.

“If you went to Cat West…again,” Reynolds corrects, giving you a conspiratorial look.

“We agreed we would never talk about that again,” you remind him, laughing.

Back