Case Study: Sun Tzu, III/31

Maybe it's just because I like prequels, but I'm enjoying this a good deal.

On another note, most of these case studies have a Greek tragedy type ending, so I'm just waiting for the moment the other shoe drops.

Maybe it's just because I like prequels, but I'm enjoying this a good deal.

On another note, most of these case studies have a Greek tragedy type ending, so I'm just waiting for the moment the other shoe drops.

Good; I'm glad you like it. I didn't plan on writing it this way, but there are too many loose ends unless I provide some backstory.

But I don't think anyone is going to die in this one. ;)

You got me addicted to this thread, whens the next installment?

Faith found himself actually enjoying cleaning up the SCIF. It felt good to actually be “doing something” after two weeks of sitting around. This was Faith’s first time in the SCIF, and it was interesting to see what things looked like “behind the green door.” One of the things that he found interesting was that most of the Soldiers who worked in the SCIF were assigned to the MID, not to the Group S2 shop. With everyone stripped down to their t-shirts so as not to dirty their uniform , no one knew Faith’s name or rank, so the conversation was very candid, and Faith felt like he learned a lot about the inner workings of both the Group S2 shop and the MID.

For example, it appeared that while the Group S2 shop had responsibility for the overall intel effort in the Group, the equipment and personnel necessary to perform that mission were actually assigned to the Group MID, which was in turn, Faith learned, subordinate to the Group Support Company. In contrast, the Group S2 shop reported to the Group Headquarters Company. The only place that those two chains of command met was at the Group commander’s level. Therefore, any problems that couldn’t be sorted out between the MID commander and the Group S2 had the potential to quickly escalate to Group commander visibility. That’s not good.

Faith also got a sense that there were some very good troops in both the Group S2 shop and the MID, but that the leaders, especially the warrant officers and senior NCOs, were lazy. Or, Faith considered, maybe they were under-led. Whatever the cause, the warrant officers and master sergeants inside the SCIF seemed completely unconcerned about the inspection, and were content allowing their junior NCOs and enlisted personnel to not only do all the work, but to decide what work needed to be done in the first place. It was also interesting that no one seemed to know or care that Faith was “new” to the SCIF, either the personnel working in the SCIF didn’t know each other very well, or it was very common to get new people in.

Faith worked with the troops in the SCIF until lunchtime, and he had to admit that the SCIF cleaned up pretty well. Of course, if they had kept up with things like they should have in the first place, none of this would have ever been necessary. The safe remained outside the SCIF, but with a Soldier on guard at all times since it contained classified. One of the NCOs wanted to move the safe back in, but Faith knew it would be important that everything remained in place for when the inspection team came on the scene. After ensuring everything was the way it was supposed to be, Faith went back upstairs to ensure he would be available when the team from Division arrived.

The inspection team arrived shortly after lunch. Faith saw them filing into The Dud’s office and followed them in. There were several things that Faith noticed right away. The first thing was that there were a LOT more people than he expected to be on the team. Faith had done one or two investigations himself, and they usually never involved more than two or three people, tops. For this investigation, Division sent seven.

The team was headed by an intel major that Faith didn’t recognize. “Hi, sir, nice to meet you!” Faith said cheerily during introductions made in The Dud’s office. Ignoring both the greeting and Faith’s proffered hand, the major stated merely, “Where is the SCIF? I want to get started on this right away.” Faith felt his face redden at the snub but said nothing. Faith saw that this man’s name was Major Teller. Although he was intel himself, Faith felt a particular loathing towards most majors in the intelligence field, having been soured by his experiences in an intelligence battalion in Korea. In the main, Faith found them to be stuffy, unintelligent, and overly career-fixated. This one was certainly living up to the stereotype.

“Right this way, sir,” Faith said, and led the group down the stairwell to the SCIF. A Soldier that Faith did not recognize was standing outside the SCIF, guarding the safe. Faith asked him to go back inside the SCIF and let everyone know that the inspection team was here. Faith noticed that The Dud was nowhere to be found.
“Where would you like to start, sir?” Faith asked of Major Teller as the inspection team crowded into the space outside the SCIF door.

Teller said nothing, but looked to a Soldier on his right.

“Well sir,” said the Soldier, “maybe we should just start from the beginning. Can you tell me what happened?” The speaker was a female, young-looking, and fairly attractive, Faith thought, “for an Army chick.” As evidenced by her collar insignia, she was also a warrant officer, in military jargon a W1 or “wobbly one.”

s_4412e2de820a0e17da47ea03601bfb53Warrant%20Officer%201%20Army%20Rank%20Insignia%20Gore-Tex%C2%AE%20Subdued.jpg

Faith explained everything to her, making sure to stick only to the facts and to not cast any blame, but otherwise omitting nothing. The warrant officer listened intently, writing down notes and politely interrupting from time to time to ask a clarifying question. While Faith and the warrant officer talked, most of the rest of the Division’s investigation team filed into the SCIF, leaving Faith, MAJ Teller, and the female warrant officer, whose name, Faith noticed, was WO1 Rollins, outside near the safe. MAJ Teller wore a bored expression on his face, and seemed totally content to have WO1 Rollins do all the “heavy lifting” for this investigation. In that regard, Teller seemed very similar to The Dud.

Back