J0905

Unverified
Hi Everyone,

I am currently trying to understand all the color vision standards that are needed to be met in order to become a PJ. I have talked with many people who have given me very conflicting information and cant find out anything online as all that info is also conflicting. My question is, if you fail the plate test at meps can you take the new CCT (Cone Contrast Test) to become a PJ? I've been told by my BA recruiter that I can get a waiver for it, but I have also heard from others that if you fail the plate test then you are out indefinitely. I'd appreciate any and all answers I get about this, I've looked through all medical waiver guides and medical standards guides as well and still cant figure it out. The only thing I have is that you need a 55/100 to pass the CCT test and a waiver can be granted and that you need to pass a class 3 flight physical.

Thanks Much!

I would take the BA recruiters advice since this is specifically what they do. For most things in the military there is a waiver process as long as you can get someone in your corner.

That being said, since I work with Flight Medicine people who would know the answer to this question, Ill ask them when I get in to work tomorrow. Either way keep pushing and see what happens.

So here is what I found after talking to one of my Flight Med PA's:
AFI 48-123 states
"1.2.4.5. Color Vision Testing: Pseudoisochromatic Plate (PIP) testing to determine color vision perception which will be completed at accession and results recorded in their record. If an applicant wants to apply for flying or special duty, then they must pass the Cone Contrast Test (CCT) at an AF MTF or equivalent."
"6.4.1.9. AFMSA retains certification/waiver authority for all color vision and depth perception deficiencies for all flying/SOD classes unless otherwise delegated. Note: Enlisted flying criteria are guided by the AFSC Career Field Manager at AF/A3."

From what that says (and implies) you must pass both the PIP and the CCT for entry into special and flying duties. Waivers can be granted on a case-by-case basis, and if you meet standards for the career handed down by the Career Field Manager. If your SORL is saying you can get a waiver then you should probably take their advice.

That's interesting that it's both. Some of the wording makes it sound lile if you want to do jobs outside of Spec Ops then its PIP but if you want SF or aviation then its CCT. Makes my head hurt sometimes with the weird wording they have for requirments lmao

Back