Covert Entry for LEO/MIL

swimr235

Verified Military
I am posting this under the "Training & Employment" area because I am trying to get as much information out there for this course. Also, I am posting this here because I am hoping you guys may have suggestions for actual quality courses. I've found some but they have been sketchy as best and only about 8 hrs of total training. I have tried to track down this course with litte to no success. I've also tried to go through my agency and they have not been able to help much as it seems like this is one of those "White Unicorn" category of schools to get to. I've already been given the go ahead to take it if I can find it. It will be out of pocket but as long as I can find it and pay for it my agency will give me the time off...better than nothing I suppose. Thanks for any help. If a PM is necessary please dont hesitate to send.

- Nick

Found one being given to EOD personnel at Eglin AFB, May 8th-10. Anyone have POC? I called the company and they said its a closed class. They may allow someone from an LEO agency to go but I would need to speak with them.

It's BS that they'll sign off on you going but won't pony up the training funds to attend. Once upon a time the TD approved and paid for all training but that changed in 2008 or 2009. On the upside, you may be able to back door the mil course.

It's BS that they'll sign off on you going but won't pony up the training funds to attend. Once upon a time the TD approved and paid for all training but that changed in 2008 or 2009. On the upside, you may be able to back door the mil course.

You are encouraging him to covertly enter the covert entry course.

Well played my friend.

Its BS all around. They tell you to work you ass off and you will advance but you need training to do the "job" better. They never approve training. Ill get it one way or the other...outside of strapping on knee pads that is.

Found one being given to EOD personnel at Eglin AFB, May 8th-10. Anyone have POC? I called the company and they said its a closed class. They may allow someone from an LEO agency to go but I would need to speak with them.

Is this a class being taught by a civilian company to a military audience? If so, did you talk to the civilain company providing the training or the military unit sponsoring the training? If you talked to the civilian company, they may just be telling you what they were told by the DOD. Even today, if I hire a company to teach a course to my unit, I wouldn't allow them to bring in students from outside my organization to the class I'm paying them to provide.

You'd probably have better luck calling the DOD unit sponsoring the training.

And if they let you attend, bring/hand out plenty of swag to help the next guy. :D

Is this a class being taught by a civilian company to a military audience? If so, did you talk to the civilain company providing the training or the military unit sponsoring the training? If you talked to the civilian company, they may just be telling you what they were told by the DOD. Even today, if I hire a company to teach a course to my unit, I wouldn't allow them to bring in students from outside my organization to the class I'm paying them to provide.

You'd probably have better luck calling the DOD unit sponsoring the training.

And if they let you attend, bring/hand out plenty of swag to help the next guy. :D

I did call the company. I spoke to one of the co-owners and instructors and he told me he'd reach out to the unit. I don't intend on bogarting a seat for free. I know unit training is expensive and hard to get, although not so much for specialized units. If he doesn't call me back by Wednesday I call him. I have no problem paying for whatever seat I take if I'm allowed to piggy back onto this course. If not I'll keep searching.

Its BS all around. They tell you to work you ass off and you will advance but you need training to do the "job" better. They never approve training. Ill get it one way or the other...outside of strapping on knee pads that is.
Part of the problem of being in a large office. I'll let you know what I hear from some of the guys we talked about.

I did call the company. I spoke to one of the co-owners and instructors and he told me he'd reach out to the unit. I don't intend on bogarting a seat for free. I know unit training is expensive and hard to get, although not so much for specialized units. If he doesn't call me back by Wednesday I call him. I have no problem paying for whatever seat I take if I'm allowed to piggy back onto this course. If not I'll keep searching.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't rely on him. If the instructor for a class I was paying for asked if he could "bring someone else in", my answer would be no. Quickly.

But if you called me, we BS'd/yadda yadda/ whatever you want to call it, then you said "hey, I hear you're putting on course XYZ; what's the chance I can sit in?", it wouldn't be a problem if there was room and such. I wouldn't expect you to pay.

Especially if it's a closed course. It's just not going to happen unless you find the POC for who the course is for, establish bonifides/credentials/etc, and get invited by THEM to take the course...

That's the way it works for closed courses. Whatever agency/entity that is getting that guy to come, has the say as to who actually attends that course from within their organization and from outside bro-tier hookups. Just like strap-hanging for a jump, you don't ask the Air Force, you ask the unit that's actually doing the jump.

swimr235, you might talk with the company about hosting a course at your agency. Open it up to other agency's and units and they will likely give you one or two free slots if the class fills. Good way to save you coin.

swimr235, you might talk with the company about hosting a course at your agency. Open it up to other agency's and units and they will likely give you one or two free slots if the class fills. Good way to save you coin.

I'd love to tell you that it would be a good idea but Ill tell you and maybe another that is also employed with my Agency will ping in and agree. My agency wont set anything up like that. Advanced courses that are required as normal progressive training, required re-certs, and training being put on by local PDs that are free are about the only thing they will spring for. Although, just as a shot in the dar and to see how the response is, ill send out an email just to see. I would love for them to prove me wrong and you right but I doubt it. We shall see..

- Nick

I'd love to tell you that it would be a good idea but Ill tell you and maybe another that is also employed with my Agency will ping in and agree. My agency wont set anything up like that. Advanced courses that are required as normal progressive training, required re-certs, and training being put on by local PDs that are free are about the only thing they will spring for. Although, just as a shot in the dar and to see how the response is, ill send out an email just to see. I would love for them to prove me wrong and you right but I doubt it. We shall see..

- Nick
For the most part, unless you are in a specialized program, this is pretty much true. There are very few offices that will set up external training for guys. It sucks but it is a fact of life at that level. There are two issues: management doesn't see a need and the same management now holds the $$$. These same managers are being rewarded for returning money at the end of the FY. Not saying there should be a spendex at the end of every FY, but when training at your level is limited to what is required by policy and what reactive management thinks is "necessary" or what you can squeeze out of the TF, well...

You need to get into my program as a collateral...:D

Well, im running it up the chain right now. We'll see. I also noted it is a military course too and I've forwarded up my Navy chain of command. We'll see who bites first, if any. Looks like a legit course though. Also, I called the other school that is holding the class in Eglin and they have already spoken to the POC and they are sending the request up their chain if I am able to join that class. He sounded pretty positive about it. We shall see and thanks for looking out.

Last edited:
Back