Disturbed covers "Sounds of Silence"

Holy fuck is this good!

There is power in the lyrics, written by Paul Simon, my senior year in highschool; first recorded in March @ Columbia Studios in NYC @ 0300hrs Wednesday morning. On the week ending January 1, 1966, it hit # 1 on Billboards top 100. The song never ever really went away, always recognized; the instant it begins to play. 50 years later it still grabs you, and stills you. Perhaps as an anthem of the soul, transending time it still stops me. There is only silence when your words ring, unheard. I love the way "Sounds of Silence" is delivered with such force.

Time to crawl back into my wee cave here in The Valley; to reflect and to think.

Last edited:
I've heard the song a hundred times via Paul Simon, never really paid attention to it.

Tonight I heard this version for the first time, David Draiman (Disturbed) did a version that really hit me...3rd time I have watched the video so far.

A wonderful job.

Yep, that pretty damn impressive.

I'm always astonished by former hard core rockers, when they go into acoustics or actually demonstrate their full vocal ranges vs the standard screaming. And don't get me wrong I still love the screaming, but it just amazing and sometimes shocking to see how incredible their voices truly are.

Good find!

There's no "former" about Disturbed et al... they just enjoy doing covers of good songs as well. Putting their touch to something classic.

Yeah they are playing here in May. I don't know if they are worth seeing again. The festival they are playing though has the Deftones so I will be there.

That was really good. Better than the original. I was never a big Garmin & Starfinkle fan ;-), I needed shit I could drown out life with. :D

@DocIllinois - that just stands on it's own. So good, the crescendo at the end seems as if it will never end. Amazing, thank you for sharing.

If we flip the 'newer covering older' theme, this reminds me of the following cover.

Like Ooh-Rah, I'd heard NIN do this song who knows how many times; never took notice of the tone and lyrics until someone unexpected made it his own and made it great:

A telling and stand alone, somewhat dark piece.

Yeah they are playing here in May. I don't know if they are worth seeing again. The festival they are playing though has the Deftones so I will be there.

They're playing in Hershey, PA in May as well. Along with Rob Zombie and Pop Evil. Planning on going if I'm in town.

Holy fuck is this good!

That was very powerful. Awesome.

I like the original and don't often like covers, but that was exceedingly well done. I'd love to see Disturbed live, I must make a point of doing so.

That was very powerful. Awesome.

I like the original and don't often like covers, but that was exceedingly well done. I'd love to see Disturbed live, I must make a point of doing so.

I'll reiterate my eh... They were ok.

Back